Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Wanna make wheat bread. What's your recipe?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wanna make wheat bread. What's your recipe? Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  05:47:39 AM  Show Profile
Since we have a long weekend (and I've been dreaming of a really good pb & j) I'd like to make some wheat bread for sandwiches, and general munching. Something that is good toasted, also.
Now, I don't have a bread machine, and I would like to have a tried and true recipe since I'm a TOTAL beginner.
Also, this is stupid question, but when recipes say "put in a warm place for rising" couldn't this just be my kitchen counter since I don't have the a/c on and it's a little steamy?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  07:51:37 AM  Show Profile
I'm with Jonni - I can make white bread, but we LOVE wheat bread and every effort I make results in a nice little heavy brick suitable for building, but not eating. Help please ladies.
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:05:57 AM  Show Profile
Jonni, I put my bread in the oven with just the light on. This stops the air from hitting it, when little ones open the door (for the millionth time). I find that bread rises just great in there.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:14:37 AM  Show Profile
A HA! That's a good idea, Mary Jane. They do say away from drafts in a "warm" place. In my little kitchen, I just wasn't sure where that would be...duh!

How cute, I could see those little ones opening the oven door every two seconds to see if the dough had risen...super cute!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:23:48 AM  Show Profile
I posted a wheat recipe in a bread machine thread, so I've copied and pasted it here. I only use the bread machine to knead the dough because that is my least favorite part of breadmaking. The book I got this recipe from says it can be made the "old fashioned" way, I tend to believe it. It makes a light and fluffy loaf, and is hands-down my (and Hubby's) favorite recipe:

1 package yeast
1 c white flour
2.5 c whole wheat flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp dry milk
1.5 c water

I don't have dry milk, so I use 1 c water & 1/2 c milk. I also don't use the machine to bake the bread, generally only to mix and raise it. However you make this one though, it makes a nice, fluffy loaf with a lovely crispy crust.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:28:29 AM  Show Profile
Awesome! Thank you, thank you, MariaZ!!! This is stuff I have at my house, in other recipes, there are things I do NOT have (like wheatberries)...

This will be my first attempt at making bread (a sacrifical loaf, so to speak), so wish me luck!

Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  10:12:06 AM  Show Profile
Ditto!
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  11:49:12 AM  Show Profile
I love this recipe:

Basic Whole Wheat Bread(Perfect Every Time)
Made From 100% Fresh Ground Whole Wheat

Ingredients:
6 cups Warm Water
2/3 cup Canola Oil
2/3 cup Honey (or 2/3 cup Sugar)
3 TBL Instant Yeast
3 TBL Dough Enhancer
2 TBLSalt
2 Cups High Gluten Flour (or 2 TBL Vital Wheat Gluten)
10 - 12 cups Whole Wheat Flour

(click on this link to view the steps/ photos too)

http://www.thewondermill.com/index.php/module/statics/action/view_listing/page/4

hope this helps...

miles of smiles~
Peg

Edited by - Peg Graham on May 25 2007 12:01:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  12:17:33 PM  Show Profile
This is how I make mine:

Wheat Bread
2 1/2 cups lukewarm water or milk (I usually use water)
2 Tbsp dry yeast
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup oil or melted butter (NOT margerine)
1 Tbsp sea salt
1/4 cup gluten flour
6 to 8 cups fresh ground whole wheat flour
I brush the top with melted butter after I bake the loaves.
This recipe makes 3 reg. size loaves of bread and I bake them at 350 for about 45 min...you can usually tell it is nearly done when the house smells wonderful.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  5:31:18 PM  Show Profile
Jenny- I was wondering what the instructions are for the bread. I'm not really a seasoned bread maker and unsure about when to use which ingredients!!

Thanks and Blessings,

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  5:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Oh sorry..duh! I just didn't think..
instructions:
Disolve the yeast in the 2 1/2 cups water and let proof..then add the salt, oil or butter and honey (you can also use maple syrup or mollasses for a change if you like instead of the honey)
then start adding the flour gradually and the gluten flour too until you have a thick batter. I use my kitchen aid mixer with the paddle attachment for this part. Then switch to the dough hook and keep adding flour until it wants to ball up and isn't so goopy. Then I put some more flour (a couple cups) in a big bowl and put the ball of dough in the center and knead by hand until the flour is incorporated and it isnt' sticky any more as much. It dosn't have to be perfect and you don't want it too dry..just go by feel I guess..goopier is better than too dry. ...then let rise for about an hour in a buttered bowl with a tea towel on top in a warm place. Punch down and form into three loaves, or rolls or whatever you like..than then put in buttered pans and let rise again about 30 min. Bake at 350 until golden and loaves will sound hollow when tapped. I hope this makes sense. I don't really have it written down and I tend to ramble.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  8:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Joni,
Here's our regular bread that we have made & eaten for over 20 years. I do sometimes grind other grains with the wheat or add leftover cooked cereals to it.
Enjoy!!!

Whole Wheat Bread
Grind mill full of hard white wheat, approximately 8 lbs.

Add to mixer bowl in this order:
7 cups warm water 2/3 cup honey
2/3 cup oil half of the flour
2 tablespoons dough enhancer, opt. 1 cup instant potato flakes
4 tablespoons yeast 2 tablespoons salt

Mix until blended. Add enough flour so the dough doesn’t stick to the sides of bowl. Knead on low for 10 minutes.

Place dough on oiled counter. Shape into loaves. Place in greased bread pans.

Place bread in oven at 170’ degrees for 15 minutes or until doubled in size. Or leave out on the counter to double.

Turn oven up to 350’. Bake for bread 30 minutes or until it sounds a little hollow. Take out of pans and place under cold water, briefly. Place on towel to cool. While still hot rub with a cube of butter across the top for a soft crust.

Options:
-Add cooked cereal, nuts or seeds.
-Add raisins & cinnamon.
-Use dough to shape into dinner rolls
-Roll out dough & cut with large mouth canning lid hamburger buns.
-Use dough for cinnamon rolls.
-Shape dough over an upside down, greased bowl, place on greased cookie sheet & bake for bread bowls.
-Roll about 1/3 cup of dough out thin & fry for Navaho tacos.
-Shape into pretzels, place on greased cookie sheet, spritz with water or brush with egg white & sprinkle with coarse salt or sesame seeds.
-Use dough for pizza.
I’m sure you can think of other uses.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

lamarguerite farm
True Blue Farmgirl

649 Posts

missy
Battle Ground Wa
USA
649 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  10:54:30 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny!! I'm looking forward to giving it a try!!

Hugs

Missy

If you have a dream, even if you don't feel qualified to accomplish it, just try your hardest.-Maggie Jensen
http://18happyhens.blogspot.com
www.LaMargueriteFarm.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Wanna make wheat bread. What's your recipe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page