Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 We're movin'! Advice needed!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We're movin'! Advice needed! Next Topic  

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  12:09:04 PM  Show Profile
Ok, well, not quite yet. We've lived in our home for 20 years and just said good-bye to our youngest (ok, she only lives across town. The basement isn't finished. The woodwork is less than perfect and we will replace the carpeting and touch up the paint. But thats it. We're for sale AS IS!!!! Hopefully, we will be listed by the end of summer.

Not sure where we're moving to, but with gas prices and all, I'm not sure we're going to be too far out of town. But on the other hand, after living next to the neighbor from hell for 2 decades, I'm ready to move out in the middle of nowhere!

Ok, so how do you farm gals who live "out a ways" deal with the cost of gas. Anyone thinking about moving into town? Do you think its a weird idea to interview potential neighbors? Anyone downscaling? Anyone sorry about the last move they made and want to talk about it? If you live in the outskirts of town like us, and you were going to move, would you move further into town in order to take advantage of bus service, etc., or would you "get the heck out of Dodge!" and never look back?

I'm looking forward to the stories!

Jana

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  12:25:51 PM  Show Profile
We live part of the year in our cabin in Montana and it is WAY out of the way for gas. It's 1 1/2 miles down a private road, 8 miles down a county road and once you reach the highway, it's 30 miles to a gas station. And when you get there, it's iffy whether they have gas or not. Anyway, what I have found, is I spend LESS on gas when I'm at the cabin, because I just stay home. When I'm living here (little town about 25 miles from Olympia) there is a gas station here in town, so when I get bored, I drive to Olympia or to the beach to shop or just mess around. And that really wastes gas. When I'm at the cabin, I make only 1 trip to town (one with stores 70 miles down the highway) about every two weeks. I NEVER get bored there and life is great. I am much more organized and life more conciously when I'm far from town. We are going to move there permanently when DH retires in about 5 years.
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  12:37:38 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Well I can only answer for downsizing. We are unloading about 50% of what we own. I am going to school full time with a 1 year old at home and DH being deployed soon. I just can't take having to take care of the house stuff. So, I am simplifying my life as much as possible. We are getting rid of unfinished furniture projects, we sold off an extra bedroom set, you all have read about me sending pack a bunch of stuff to my Mom, been selling books online and sold back a bunch of my college books. In the area of food, simple meals are keeping me sane. Nothing fancy. Rachel Ray's 30 minutes meal show has given me a lot of ideas.

This will be our 4th move in 3 years and this one is from one state to another. We think it best to lighten our load as much as possible. It just makes it so much easier for the 3 of us. I wish you all the best.

Cheers,

Heather
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  08:06:02 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I live about 25 miles from any town with a grocery etc. We both teach at the same school which is only 6 miles from our house so we "carpool" to work with eachother. As far as going in to town and stuff we try to limit our trips but gas is just one of those things that we see as necessary so we do what we need to do and don't worry much about it.

Personally I wouldn't trade living in the country for anything! I am definatly a "get the heck out of dodge" type girl. I don't find that I need to go into town really all that often. Maybe 1 time a week and sometimes even less. Like Sherri I never get bored in the country. I love it! Godd luck with your move! You'll know it's right when you find it!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Peg Graham
True Blue Farmgirl

281 Posts

Peg
Chesapeake Virginia
USA
281 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  08:40:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I'd give my eye teeth for a Farm and living just far enough away from any traffic, noise, and neighbors too close!

There used to be plenty Farms out here in Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, but sorry to say, some Farms could not survive and houses pop up everywhere there USED to be a Farm. It makes me so sad. I remember the days not too many years ago, when the tractors would be on the main roads and the neighbors on their horses would be trotting along the road to the local market...not a common sight around here anymore.

I wouldn't let gas prices stop me from buyng a Farmhouse.

miles of smiles~
Peg
Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  11:55:23 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jana,
I want to wish you all the best on your move. You have some good questions-wish I had some good answers. :) Most of my life I've lived in the country though small towns have generally been within 5 to 10 miles. I do work near things so I try to do most of my shopping at lunch (and I walk to the stores) or on the way home rather than make special trips. And, another thing I find helpful is "Mail Order". I'd like to believe it's because the postage is worth not having to go out(spend time and gas), but I love getting packages at my house! :)
You may have seen my post that I am also moving as soon as our house sells. The closest store to my new home in NC is 7 miles, but it is a gas station with only a few basic items. Everything else is 20 miles away. I do plan to put in a garden and grow my veggies and I'll probably have a freezer for meats so I can buy in bulk.
The other thing concerning gas prices to consider is mowing and other tractor/roto tiller type activities. If you have a big yard/hay field or want to put in a large garden how much gas will it take type questions!
On neighbors, my favorite neighbors are COWS and Chickens.
Hope this helps! Let you heart lead you to you perfect new place!
Ellen
And, all the best to you with your move too Heather!
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  8:17:08 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your responses. I have a lot to think about!

I'm not looking to garden any more, as I have fibromyalgia and the pain is just too much. That being said, I met a woman who had this also and said that her condition improved once she moved out of town!

Hubby would like to move out of town because he likes to hunt and fish and I wouldn't mind living on a quiet street in town so I could be close to things, though. Right now we are kitty corner from a middle school and on a bus route. We've been vandalized/graffittied twice in the last year and we aren't even in a bad neighborhood.

I really don't go out a lot and I do shop online mostly! I think we'll have to go to a "few" open houses (ugh realtors) and see what's out there and what we can afford.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

Runbikegrrl
True Blue Farmgirl

250 Posts

MaryAnn
Waterbury Ctr VT
USA
250 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  06:20:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jana - all your questions were great. I am in a similar situation..only no hubby : ( I am a single mom who's youngest will no longer be living at home full-time after Sept. I have a big farmhouse right on the town green. I have only lived here a year. Before that I owned a cape on a dirt road...but in town. I want to move to a much smaller cottage/cabin but down and dirt road and another dirt road. I figure what I pay for wood, oil and electric ( possibly taxes too depending on how much land I buy and i what town) will balence out the cost of gas. I have looked at several properties and went back at diferent times of day to see what it was like then. Stopped and talked to farms and house nearby when I saw someone in the ard. I have moved SOOOOO much I want this to be the last one! I am having a hard time with the "down sizing as far as what I will keep for furniture etc. I love it all...sentimental. My house will also be as is since the kitchen floor and roof still need to be done (functional but not pretty). My biggest worry is the market being down. I am sure I will not get what I paid for my house...and I hate to make low ball offers on the properties I like. Hey that's a question??? How low is too low...for example this one property. A one bed cottage with basement (only 15 years old though..ugly but in good shape) on 17 acres (most of it thickly forested mountain side) so someone who was going to build a house would not want it. It has been used as a camp and has a great brook going through it...well they want 210,000 and I was thinking of starting my offer at 180,000 ....honestly I would pay 210,000 for the property but in this market??? Also I am going to do FSBO to try and save...but I see lots and lots of house that have been for sale for a long time in my area

"So many interests so little time!"

Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We're movin'! Advice needed! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page