junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  06:59:41 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking of using a small container (metal or ceramic) and making a little water garden. I know I could 'goggle' this, but I thought I might ask on this forum if anyone ever did this? How do you keep misquitoes at bay? What plants and water treatment did you use? How did you set it up? Thanks in advance for any info. Judy

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  07:02:02 AM  Show Profile
When we bought the house we're in now, there was a little water garden in the back yard - we really haven't done much with it yet. There were MILLIONS of mosquito and larvae around and on top of it. We bought 1 dozen gold fish and put them in there - the mosquitos and larvae were gone within a couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  07:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
how have the goldfish fared? did they survive? are they multiplying? this sounds great! i would love to have a water feature with live gold fish... how about cats... do you have any? or do the neighbors? we have 2 cats that are excellent hunters of small critters... i'm wondering if they would be able to catch the fish...
thanks!

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  07:32:23 AM  Show Profile
I was also thinking that maybe the birds or other critters might eat the fish. We always have one or two wandering cats. I'm just curious. Otherwise, that idea does sound good!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  07:35:04 AM  Show Profile
All twelve goldfish are doing well and growing. No new babies yet, though that I've noticed. They hide at the bottom of the pond when the neighborhood cats come around. I have seen one particular black cat sitting on the edge looking in before, but the fish just swim into the deeper water. There are also some plants, myrtle I think, planted along the edge that hang down into the water and the fish hide in there. We throw a bit of goldfish food out there now that the bulk of the mosquitos are gone.
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  07:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
how long ago did you put the fish in? before the last winter? if not, what do you plan on doing with them when the cold weather hits? if so, what did you do with them?
i never thought of this particular dilemma before... but not that i do think about it.. there is a fresh water spring near my grandmother's house that flows into a large man made container (brick... about 3 1/2 feet tall, 3-4 feet in diameter) and there are very large goldfish in it... they appear to be the same fish... so i'm wondering if they remove them for the winter...

Alison
I think that if ever a mortal heard the voice of God it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. ~F. Frankfort Moore, A Garden of Peace
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  07:50:06 AM  Show Profile
We just put the goldfish in a couple of months ago = we bought this house in Jan. but the mosquito problem didn't show up until spring. I have a friend who has a pond in her backyard and she leaves her goldfish in year round. I'm not sure about the weather in NC, but in Washington, it ususally doesn't get below the teens in the winter.
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  08:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Hubby and I just bought a water garden kit at Home Depot on Saturday. Wont have time to put it in until school gets out next week but we were thinking goldfish or Koi.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

AliShuShu
True Blue Farmgirl

150 Posts

Alison
Charlotte NC
USA
150 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  08:48:54 AM  Show Profile  Send AliShuShu an AOL message  Send AliShuShu a Yahoo! Message
I have some friends that had a koi pond in their backyard and their 2 jack russell terrors (NOT a typo) "fished" them all out and ate them. and i was concerned about my cats! i don't know if this info is relevant to any of ya'll.. but i thought i would share...
smile!

Alison
Namaste'
www.shumusings.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  09:50:52 AM  Show Profile
We have a neighbor that has the goldfish in his little pond and in the winter, they go down to the bottom and "hibernate" - I'm not sure if that's the word for what fish do, but they seem to be fine.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  2:39:31 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I have a fish tank that I was very worried about my cat trying to "fish" out the fish and one day we caught him with a paw in the tank and my honey grabed him and dunked him in the tank. He has never gone anywhere near the tank again. if you have one of your cats messing with the pond you might try this, it worked for us.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Water garden Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page