Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  1:12:01 PM  Show Profile
I know Aunt Jenny and others make yogurt that is essentially raw. I've tried twice, using cow's milk, and each time the yogurt was extremely soupy, and a bit curdled--not at all like the pasturized milk yogurt. My second batch worked until it was quite tart, so I'm thinking the timing was adequate. What I did was heat the milk gently until it was about 103-108 degrees, then place it into a warm (same temp) water bath and keep it insulated for 8-9 hours.... and then, chill. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  1:40:31 PM  Show Profile
I need to check my recipe (havn't had fresh milk in a few months with Mona dry...and see, but I think I heat it a little warmer at first..I will get back to you.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

stonethistle
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Denise
East Meredith NY
USA
11 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  08:19:17 AM  Show Profile
The cow milk yogurt should not be soupy. I make yogurt with goat milk and we have to add organic tapioca to thicken it. Make sure that your culture (previous batch of yogurt) is not old!

www.stoneandthistlefarm.com
If you can't buy organic AND local, choose local. Support the local farmers who feed you!
Go to Top of Page

BackyardTreasures
True Blue Farmgirl

189 Posts

Anne
Connecticut
USA
189 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  09:18:00 AM  Show Profile
I don't have my recipe right in front of me, but I believe as Aunt Jenny said it's heated more than you did. I think it's actually something like 165 degrees or so. I've never kept it in a warm water either. After I heat it and then cool it to the correct temp for incubation, which I think is around 100 degrees, I put it in an insulated 1/2 gallon picnic jug and wrap it in a warm towel. This has always worked out fine for me.

~~Anne

www.homesteadblogger.com/BackyardTreasures
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  1:42:30 PM  Show Profile
When I make yogurt from store (pasturized) milk, I heat it to 180, then cool to 115 and incubate. It works fine. I wanted this to not be pasturized by me since I have the raw milk to begin with. I used culture from a 1st batch of yogurt the first attempt, then used a packet of Bulgarian yogurt culture for the 2nd batch--so they were both fresh cultures. In fact, I later used the raw milk soupy yogurt to start a pasturized batch that worked out well. HMMMM???! I may need to heat that milk and allow it to be semi-pasturized.

Ann
Sairy Hill Thicket
There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  09:28:45 AM  Show Profile
Years ago when I tried yogurt making, I followed instructions to heat the milk then cool and incubate. The yoghurt turned out quite firm, but had a slight cooked taste I didn't like. It could have been that my thermometer was off, but I am real hesitant to heat milk up to 180.

I am back to making yogurt (store-bought milk; no access to raw) and have been experimenting with heating temperatures. The lower the temps, the softer the yogurt. I've heated it as high as 160 degrees F, and so far that batch has been the firmest. I'm now experimenting with draining some of the whey off of the yogurt to create a thicker end product.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 25 2007 :  12:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
When you buy commercial yogurt in the store that is ultra firm, they actually add gelatin to it! The soupier kind is stuff without gelatin added. If you don't like gelatin because of the animal by-products (I don't eat gelatin because it is usually made out of pork which I don't eat) you could try using Chill-Over to give a little more set to your yogurt. I would be really interested to hear if anyone has good luck using Chill-Over in their yogurt as I am hoping to start making some yogurt this summer.

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic HELP for Raw Milk Yogurt? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page