True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  05:51:37 AM  Show Profile
DANDELION GREENS

fREE FOR THE PICKAING, DANDELION GREENS FILLED MANY AN EMPTY STOMACH. gEORGE wASHINGTON cARVER, tUSKEGEE iNSTITUTE SCIENTIST, INTRODUCED DANDELION GREENS, CHICORY, CHICKWEED, PEPPER GRASS AND WATERCRESS TO THE COLLEGE DINING HALL MENU.

1 QUART DANDELION GREENS
HAM SHANK
1 TBSP. BUTTER
SALT AND PEPPER TO TASTE
SLICED HARD-BOILED EGGS

"cUT OFF THE COUARSE ROOTS; WASH THE LEAVES THOROUGHLY; STEEPIN SALT AND WATER FOR FIVE HOURS TO REMOVE THE BITTENESS. bIL A HAM SHANK FOR TWO HOURS, THROW IN THE DANDELIONS AND COOK GENTLY FOR FOURTY-FIVE MINUTES; THEN DRAIN, CHOP FINE; SEASON WITH BUTTER, PEPPER AND SALT. mINCE THE HAM VERY IFNE AND SPRINKLE OVER THE GREENS; SPREAD OVER SLICED HARD-BOILED EGGS AND SERVE HOT.

have any of you farmgirls ever made 'greens' this way?

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  05:55:03 AM  Show Profile
BRAINS AND EGGS and HOG MAW (STOMACH) SALAD

yowzer .. these are two recipes .. i don't think i'll be cookin' up any time soon!

BRAINS AND EGGS. Scientists now caution against eating brains for fear of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, but in times past, people wer just thankful for foood on the table. Folks of ordinary financial circumstances did not hesitate to consume 'brain food' and other innards.

HOG MAW .. In the British Isles, particulary Scotland, a popular dish called 'haggis' is prepared. It consists of the heart, lungs, and liver of a sheep or calf, mixed with oatmeal and suet, seasoned with salt, pepper and onions, and boiled like a big sausage encased ina "maw" or stomach removed from an animal. The whole dish is eaten, stomach and all!

HA! not unlike our HOT DOGS of today!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  05:56:27 AM  Show Profile
Another booklet by Patriciat B. Mitchell ---- MAMMY .. The Hand that Rocked the South

an interesteing little booklet .. and includes more southern recipes too.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  05:58:32 AM  Show Profile
my favorite by far is: Ol' Man Adam an' His Chillun by Roark Bradford ... Harper & Brothers PUblishers 1928.

I love the lyrical telling of the bible stories with the dialect, wisdom, humor and gentleness of early-america slaves.

"Well, they was some mighty men in them days and times. And the Lord was beyond them all."

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  06:00:47 AM  Show Profile
EVE AND THAT SNAKE

"Well, a long time ago things was diffrunt. Hit wa'n't nothin' on de yearth 'cause hit wa'n't no yearth. And hit wa'n't nothin' nowheres and evy' day was Sunday. Wid de Lawd r'ared back preachin' all day long ev'y day. 'Ceptin' on Sadday, and den ev'ybody went to de fish fry."

I love how the stories go back and forth in time .. incorporating 'the events and beliefs of the day' in these stories.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  06:02:37 AM  Show Profile
POPULATING THE EARTH

"Well, Adm and Eve had two chilluns name Cain and Abel. So when Adam got to gittin' along in de years so's he couldn't do no heavy work, he called his boys and say: "Well, you boys better settle down and git to work. Me and de old lady been s'portin' ya'll up to now and hit's about time ya'll was s;portin' me and you' maw."

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  06:05:26 AM  Show Profile
SIN

"Well, hit wa'nt' long after de yearth got peopled to do people got to gittin' in devilment. And de more people hit got to be de more devilment they got in. And de more devilment they got in, do more chilluns dey'd have. To finally hit was so many people scattered round de place to you couldn't hardly wawk.

And mean? Mankind! They was about the triflin'est bunch of trash you ever run up against.

Fust off, de menfolks quite workin' and went to shootin' craps for a livion'. Den de womenfolkls quit takin' in washin' and used they kettles to make hard-drinkin' licker in. And de chilluns wouldn't mind they maws 'cause they maws was drunk, and hit wa'n't nothin, to see a boy in knee britches wawkin' round, chewin' tobacco and cussin' jest as mannish as his dayddy!"

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  06:07:38 AM  Show Profile
the story of NOAH is entiteld STEAMBOAT DAYS

"Well, when de people got so low down to de Lawd couldn't stand 'em, he decided to flood de yearth and drwon ev'ybody 'ceptin' old man Noah. So he told Noah to build a ark and ride de flood down.

"'Cause from what I got in my mind," say de Lawd, "hit look like she's gonter be a mighty wet spring, Noah."
"Gonter bust de levees is you, Lawd?" say Noah.
"When de levees bustes," say de Lawd, "dat's jest goner be de startin' of de wet weather. I got my mind set on rain, Noah, and when I gits my mind set, I mean to tell you I makes hit rain."

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  06:08:48 AM  Show Profile
i am so enjoying this book .. and hank and i are reading it together to each other. Makes those bible stories even truer to me told this way!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2007 :  3:00:19 PM  Show Profile
Frannie,
Sounds like you found a gold mine! I'd love to read some of those books.
I've just finished reading "Sojourner Truth"... oh my... it was amazing. I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants to understand more about slavery. I couldn't put it down. Kate~

"...out of the heart flow the wellsprings of life"
Proverbs 4:23
See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.Kate-Wells.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  5:49:19 PM  Show Profile