QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  4:55:23 PM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any great ideas for Father's Day?

www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
www.freewebs.com/muckbootsnaprons/
www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm/

vermontharvest
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

doreen
w. pawlet vermont
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  5:12:39 PM  Show Profile  Send vermontharvest an AOL message  Send vermontharvest a Yahoo! Message
hello..just wondering..do you mean..ideas to make...or ideas for something to do?

doreen

www.vermontharvest.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  5:15:05 PM  Show Profile
TO Make. Sorry. My husband will be in Africa then, but we would like to give him something nice and meaningful when he gets back. Home made is so much more meaningful!

One year, I had a friend with a lazer maching take a picture of our children and lazer it onto a wooden box. He actually teared up on that one! It turned out gorgeous!

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  6:16:49 PM  Show Profile
Dont know about that one. Dad is always hard to make for. I bought my dad some Burts Bees Poison Ivy soap.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  10:11:26 PM  Show Profile
How about photo transfer shirt or fabri painted t shirt from the kids, I will have to think some more and get bak to you.

Edited by - cinnamongirl on May 17 2007 10:13:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  11:49:26 PM  Show Profile
The box is hard to top.... Mmmmm....

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  06:43:28 AM  Show Profile
The shirt is a good idea...he hasn't had one in years. THis is prtty funny too- I had one done for him at the mall when there were only two kids, and they were very small. He had our daughter with him, so I got the boy's handprints on, and then looked for a little girl around my daughter's age to "sub" for her. I remember I asked the parents of a cute little black girl to fill in and they agreed. (Thought I was weird) and here are about 11 years later with a little black daughter of our own. Strange how life goes sometimes ")

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  9:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What are his hobbies?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  10:06:46 PM  Show Profile
For DH from the boys, I got him a nice Sony digital camera. That way he can take pictures of the boys and use it for work. He doesnt know, but it will keep his mitts off of mine.

For my Dad I got him a handmade wood cutting board. I had gotten one at an art show a few years ago and the guy sold out. When my Dad showed up, He was looking at it and was disappointed that he couldnt get one too. This past year that guy was at a show I stopped by to visit. I was 9 mos pregnant, and I knew I couldnt commit to being there with a booth. and I snapped one up ... visualize huge HUGE pregnant woman schleaping this heavy cutting board. He will be surprised. Last year I got him a Wusthof Santoku Knife. I always try to get my dad something culinary.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  2:07:31 PM  Show Profile
Well, Doug likes to hunt and he likes to read.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  3:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You could have all your kids journal for a week on "(Good) Thoughts about Dad" then you could bind them and have each of them do some sort of illustration or artwork to go in the book as well. If the kids are woodsy and like to hunt too- you could go out and do plaster casts of animal footprints.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  9:33:50 PM  Show Profile
hank's favorite gifts always involve something to do with his 'family' .. photos .. stories .. journals .. scrapbooks ... anything the kids make or are a part of.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  08:49:22 AM  Show Profile
Hmmm..good stuff ladies!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  11:48:46 AM  Show Profile
When my dad was alive, we always did something "flight" oriented...he loved planes, so we would get him a glider ride, or lessons, or a hand calligraphied poem from WWII, that some canadian pilot wrote... Something like that--his birthday was the day after father's day, so we usually combined it for one large gift. The glider rides were hard to top, and one year, we thought maybe he'd tired of them, so we got something else....he opened his card and said, "hey, where's the glider ride??"....
If your man likes to read, I don't think you can beat a wonderful book--something non-fiction, a biography of someone inspiring, a hero of his?
My husband, though not a father, is actually disappointed when he doesn't get a book from me!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  12:46:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh gosh I've been eves dropping hoping i could snag an idea for my husband.. he is the hardest man to get anything for!!
For our Anniversary i played hooking from work & emptied the shed.. cleaned it out.. & had bought him a new Work bench from HD.. he really loved that.. & has actually spent more time out there.. So i'm thinking something else for his new found shed/shop.. i wonder about something like that Dalyn.. something like this that gives him a place if his own to tinker.. It was always there for him before.. But my actually going out there & sorting out the huge "mess" was the boost i think he needed to make it his.. Before it really was just the shed.. where everything found it's way.. now it's HIS SHOP..!
I'll let ya know if I actually come up with any more idea for My OWN husband too!!!.. Mr. Impossible himself..!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  7:54:14 PM  Show Profile
Well, that's a great idea, bt he has a big garage to tinker in and we aren't allowed in it!
He's really gone too much to do much tinkering. He works 2oo miles away!
I make sure he gets his coffee for the commute, and when he comes home he gets attention, food, rest, and lovin'- in that order ")

I think I might get him some hunting gear. He loves just to sit around and plan his hunting trips!
Maybe...I can spend the summer dehydrating snacks for his trips, as well as putting together pre packaged homemade soup and chili mixes, stuff like that, for him to take.

One thing he likes is homemade coupons made on the computer for certain favorites of his, but really, I'd like to do something different this year. Maybe something with a hunting theme but involving the kids, because he's all about his kids!

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  12:45:36 PM  Show Profile
Hey! What about getting him some of the Mary Jane's backpacking meals or something along with some hunting gear? That way you don't have to spend all that time "workin'" , and we know they're great, right?

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  1:04:34 PM  Show Profile
That would be a great idea..
but we are in the middle of adopting two kids, and some other projects in LIberia so it seems a waste to not make them myself. Besides, it's fun to put stuff like that together!

Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  11:38:23 PM  Show Profile
Hunting and kids how about a quilt made from hunting fabric and photo squares with kids pics. Then he can snuggle with kids even when he can't be with them.

Edited by - cinnamongirl on May 22 2007 11:38:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - May 23 2007 :  10:53:39 AM  Show Profile
Oh that's good! But I'd need more time for that. That's a project!

Go to Top of Page

Lavendar fields dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

little monkeys mommy
washington
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  2:15:23 PM  Show Profile
okay so i know its really close to fathers day now. But i thought i would let everyone now what i did for my hunny bunny. We bought 4 adirondack chairs(unassembled) for him, we let my hubby pic the colors for them and painted them and put them together for him. Now we have some where for some R&R, it will be great when we have company too. You could have the kids put their hand prints on them. Basically get the chairs and paint, then make a special day of it as a family to paint and put them together. That way you will always have fond memories attached to the chairs.
Go to Top of Page

SarahJ
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Shreveport Louisiana
198 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  06:41:22 AM  Show Profile
I had bags of the boys' baby clothes that I refused to part with, so I made DH a quilt out of them. It took about 3 days to get done, but I am sure he will love it.
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2007 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile
Great idea! Very sweet.