Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Embroidery Sewing Machine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery Sewing Machine Next Topic  

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  1:23:45 PM  Show Profile
Does any one have a Embroidery and Sewing Machine?

I have been thinking about getting one. What do you have an what do you love about it?

The Singer Quantum Futura CE-200 will interface with a laptop. Also the price is pretty good for a machine and very good for one that will embroider.

Although I happen to be a big fan of Janome, but their machines are $$$ and totally out of my price range as in thousands of $$. They also dont run off of your computer. But it is a Janome and will run forever.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  3:37:46 PM  Show Profile
I have two embroidery machines. I have a Bernina 180e and a White 3300. They are pretty good machines. A word of advice, get the largest stitch field you can afford. Spliting a design can be a pain so you may want to find a machine with a 5 x 7 stitch field or even bigger if you can afford it. You can also check out www.sewforum.com or www.threadstop.com they have an embroidery section and everyone is very helpful on what to buy. To be honest the cheapest part of owning the machine is the machine itself. You will nickle and dime yourself to death on all the supplies, thread, stabilizer, softwear and such that needs to go with the machine to make designs, plus the cost of designs as well so make sure you include that into your budget.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  4:17:20 PM  Show Profile
Have you seen the new viking sapphire? 10" of sewing field! incredible! Though not an embroidery machine, it doesn't use hoops, the many many decorative stitches it has are so beautiful and fun and you can program the series of shapes/letters you want it to do in a set.
I have test sewn this machine and love it. I haven't yet justified purchasing it, as I recently bought a huskylock 936 5 thread serger (wow what a machine :) ) I know that I do not want an embroidery machine in the near future as Ayako pointed out there are too many accoutrements needed to truly have the machine work to its potential.
A lot of dealers have great prices on the sapphire as it has only recently been marketed.
Here is the link to the manufacturer's page which describes all the stitches: http://www.husqvarnaviking.com/us/8681.htm
Don't miss the picture under innovations of the quilt top, batting, and backing rolled up under the harp... can you believe it?
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  6:10:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi Elizabeth: I have a Husgvarna Designer I. I adore that machine. It comes with virtually everything you need to do embroidery and the fields can be pretty large. I use the machine a lot and have made tons of different things like curtains, aprons, quilts, napkins, placemats, pillowcases, etc. with the embroidery. It is easy to use and does regular sewing as well. I know they make a new one now, but I never needed to upgrade. If you can get one used or on Ebay, it is worth it. It is the best investment I ever made. I was going to go a little cheaper and get one that does have tons of built-in stitches, but my husband said to spend the money on the one that you can put the disks into and make anything with. It was a great idea and I can see I would have outgrown the other one very soon. I will never outgrow this machine because there are millions of disks you can buy or borrow from friends to get designs from.

Good luck!

Sheryl-lyn
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  08:45:31 AM  Show Profile
Isn't it typical for us to be practical with choosing a machine and have our husbands bump us up to a better one. My thoughts are to buy the very best you can with all the features you even think you may want to use someday. That way, the "woulda, coulda, shoulda" won't haunt you later. I wish I'd known someone to sell my Viking Rose to when I traded it for the Bernina Artista.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

mommatracy
True Blue Farmgirl

490 Posts

Tracy
My. Olive NC
USA
490 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  05:40:35 AM  Show Profile
BotaniicalRose Elizabeth, I just recently bought an embroidery,sewing machine. I was in Hancocks Fabric store and noticed a big sale tag on a sewing machine. It was a Janome 8100 Harmony on sale for 500.oo reduced from 1699.00! It was the display model and had been discontinued. Boy was I lucky. I had been looking for a new machine that would make perfect button holes and I got so much more. I have not used any of the embroidery features yet but I made my daughter a beautiful summer dress and wrap out of silk and it turned out beautiful. The straps buttoned in the back and the button holes turned out beautiful. The machine came with 4 different embroidery discs and built in monogramming which I love as I monogram lots of things. Been sending out the monogramming to a shop. Last pick up cost me 30.00 for 3 large initials. I told my husband I am just saving money all over the place by buying that machine! It tickled him. Tracy in North Carolina.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  07:55:17 AM  Show Profile
Sewgirlie - does the Designer come with a card writer, or do you have to purchase that separately? I bought a Huq. Rose, I've always had Vikings, but it was a mistake I think. There is a limited number of embroidery cards for them, and everytime I go to look at what they have, they try to talk me into buying a card writer. It would be nice, but VERY expensive.
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Embroidery Sewing Machine Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page