Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Need Advice About Baby Chicks...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need Advice About Baby Chicks... Next Topic  

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  10:19:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Everybody,

I'm hoping someone here has chickens and can advise me on this.
I've had my hens and several roosters for six years now. We just collected the eggs as they would never set them.

Now in there "advancing" years, lol, I have one that is setting!
It's been nearly 3 weeks now, so I'm sure they are about ready to hatch.

My question is, will they be safe around the roosters, or should I remove them when they hatch? I kind of wanted mama to take care of them, but I'm wondering if the roosters will attack them.

Thanks for any advise... Kate~

"...out of the heart flow the wellsprings of life"
Proverbs 4:23
See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.kate-wells.com

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  2:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Kate;
I usually take mama and the eggs and place them into a pet carrier, with hay (for comfort).
I make sure she has lots of water and food, and then when the babies hatch, they are close to the others, but cannot be attacked. It may not happen, but I always think "better safe than sorry".
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

vermontharvest
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

doreen
w. pawlet vermont
USA
24 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  5:02:04 PM  Show Profile  Send vermontharvest an AOL message  Send vermontharvest a Yahoo! Message
Oh..great advice :)

thanks...i am taking in all this chicken info ....

doreen

www.vermontharvest.blogspot.com

Edited by - vermontharvest on May 17 2007 5:02:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  05:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mary Jane.. I do have a large pet carrier. I'll do that today. Kate~

See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.kate-wells.com
Go to Top of Page

MullersLaneFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

596 Posts

Rock Falls IL
596 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  12:50:44 PM  Show Profile
A mama hen is something to be reckoned with! It was the way I taught my cats to leave my birds alone.

Chicks that we have bought as day-olds get a special run once they're out of the brooder. We build a large section that has a top. The brooder lamp is in there. Instead of a regular door, there is fencing with hole large enough the small chicks can get through but too small for a full size chicken to go through.

The chicks venture in and out as they please.

Cyndi
Muller's Lane Farm http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 18 2007 :  12:58:55 PM  Show Profile
I move mama hens and chicks..usually I move the setting hen and eggs before they hatch. They won't be safe in with the others for sure. Even the other hens will kill the chicks many times. Or like Cyndi said, you can put them in a brooder (just the chicks..not the mom) for a few weeks. I love to have a hen that will raise her own family..I put mine in an unused big rabbit hutch to hatch their eggs or raise a few chicks sometimes too..if I don't have a free pen. I only have one extra pen.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Justimagine
Farmgirl in Training

47 Posts

Kate
TX
USA
47 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  7:27:37 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, everyone..

The pet carrier looked a bit too closed in for me. I didn't feel comfortable putting her in there. But I do have an extra rabbit hutch and it's quite airy. So I think I'll try that for now. She's "due" any day. Kate~

See what's springing up from Kate's heart today at www.Kate-Wells.com

Edited by - Justimagine on May 19 2007 7:28:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - May 19 2007 :  8:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
That's so exciting! We had three hatch this winter (everyone said it was too cold, but mama wanted to sit so we let her). We put them in a seperate area of the coop where my husband built a pen and then put cattle panel over the top of it. After a few weeks of keeping the chicks warm I guess mama got sick of being cooped up with teenagers and she flew out of the pen. The teenagers stayed in there for another week or so and then one by one they flew out too and have been fine ever since. It was SO nice to not have to do the whole nursing them along thing. Mama took care of it all for us!

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Need Advice About Baby Chicks... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page