Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 wonderful thrift shop finds today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic wonderful thrift shop finds today Next Topic  

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - May 16 2007 :  8:24:37 PM  Show Profile
I've really been trying to be good and stay away, but when they call my name, I can't ignore it. I buy wedding gowns, for the heirloom christening dresses I intend to start making. Don't ask how many I already have, cause I really don't know, but many were bought on 99 cent day. I went into the assistance league shop today and they marked down all the bridal and party clothes to $5. Left with 6 of them, which was all that were usable to me for the fabric.
Then I stopped at another favorite and found a hand sewn vintage cathedral window quilt that appears to have never been used. I know that's a very time and labor intensive pattern and didn't hesitate at the $100 price. Found a sunbonnet babies too, which has a sheet blanket backing. I'd say 40's vintage fabrics. It was $20. Good day shopping. Oh, and a like new little boys Harley jacket for $10. I have a lot of baby to kids Harley clothes...just in case I might be lucky to have another grandbaby some day. Grandson is 17, so my son has to be my only hope. They look cute on the teddy bears for now :)
Ronna

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  04:32:24 AM  Show Profile
Ronna,
All that beautiful material!! I just ordered a book about lace etc. Bet there will be a lot of ideas in there for endless things you could make with all these dresses you buy. When you do make something we would love to see it.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  09:23:38 AM  Show Profile
Nancy,
I do think you and I would make a good thrift shop pair..and buy all the good stuff! Yes, it's the amount of satin, netting, lace, etc in the dresses that makes it a giveaway, even at $5 (though I do prefer paying 99 cents). Wedding dresses, at least here and when I lived in SoCalif, just don't sell. I guess the brides want new. I bought a beautiful Vera Wang, know it was many hundreds or more, that would have fit my son's fiance, but she wasn't a bit interested in wearing it. Some have a stain or two and maybe dirty at the hemline, but are great for sewing and I won't have the hard time cutting like I do with cutter quilts...never have been able to cut one even when they're in terrible shape.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  12:42:22 PM  Show Profile
Wow, some nice stuff girl!

~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

www.mikkijo.etsy.com

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic wonderful thrift shop finds today Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page