Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Whimsies Next Topic  

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  07:02:02 AM  Show Profile
Another fun article from the High Country Gardens newsletter. Think I'll go plant a fun rock today!

Planting Garden Whimsies
By Cindy Bellinger

Many years ago a friend moved to a place that had lots of weeds in the backyard. Instead of running out and getting a weed whacker, she placed a large Buddha statue right in the middle of them. It was perfect; gave the place a whole new feel.

This is the thing about gardens. It's not just plants that make them, but things, things such as--

whirligigs
wind chimes on sticks
frogs
turtles
--and don't forget the pink flamingos!

Stuck among the foliage, these little doodads help make a garden, well, more gardenesque.

For a bit of whimsy plant a painted wooden flower in the middle of your yarrow patch along with these other ideas--

granite mushrooms emerging from some groundcover
metal quail placed among irises
granite basins situated near patios
copper fountains set near a pathway
brass meditation bells hung from a tree limb
Just about anything goes in a garden. When my mother died several years ago, I stayed on to clean out her house and came across a shaped and rounded post. It was tossed near the backdoor with a lot of other junk, but I salvaged it. And now it's going get a fresh coat of paint--purple.

Landscape designers often create beds and walkways to draws the eye to certain areas. In meditation gardens, one of the goals is to create areas that allow for the mind to focus. Often statues and fountains are suggested, and wind chimes. But surely my purple post will do the same.

What is fun is watching gardens through the seasons. The plants there aren't static. If you have permanent points of interest, they can become markers to contrast with the seasonal changes in our plantings

****Gardener, Stitcher, Spiritual Explorer and Appreciator of all Things Natural****

"Begin to weave and God will give the thread." - German Proverb

Eileen
True Blue Farmgirl

1199 Posts

Eileen

USA
1199 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  12:31:23 PM  Show Profile
Clare In my garden I call this garden art! Some of what I have as garden art was here before we moved in such as old car parts rusted and twisted into interresting shapes now hanging from a tree as a plant hanger. Huge old chain rusted and used as a garden fence, part of an old treddle peddle from a sewing machine. My latest find, the front off an old wood stove. I also have two full never opened beer bottles with the original painted label on them that have been here at least 30 years burried beneath an old maple tree that was covered in blackberry bramble. I am going to plaster them into the wall of our cob house somewhere along with a lot of the jar and bottle bottoms I have dug up.
Eileen

songbird; singing joy to the earth
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Whimsies Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page