Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Old Singer sewing machine help needed!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Old Singer sewing machine help needed! Next Topic  

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 12 2007 :  3:29:05 PM  Show Profile
Hubby found a rusty old Singer sewing machine in the alley a few weeks ago, a model 27 that had been converted from a treadle to electric according to the Singer website. The wheel doesn't turn the crank shaft (the thing that makes the needle go up & down and the bobbin assembly work). I took it apart as much as possible, and couldn't see anything obvious inside. Turning the knob on the wheel doesn't work either. It's almost like something is locked. There's a lot of rust on the outside, but inside looks pretty rust free.

I'm hoping it's something simple. I looked up the model number on the Singer website and according to them the machine was manufactured in 1894. I've seen a few on eBay and know they aren't monetarily worth much, but I love the idea of using such an old machine. Does anyone out there use a treadle machine and can give me some tips on what to look for?

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  04:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Maria,
this site might help...
http://www.ismacs.net/articles/restoration.html
just a thought
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - May 13 2007 :  12:16:15 PM  Show Profile
Karen, thank you for the link! I've been surfing for several hours and didn't run into this page!

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Old Singer sewing machine help needed! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page