herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  09:12:37 AM  Show Profile
The garden is really coming along but I have this hole in our center 4x4' bed just waiting for a garden angle or farmgirl to immerge. Any ideas?

I was eyeing the copper piping at the HD yesterday, or thinking twig, who knows????

Anyone have garden art ideas to share????

What about a show & tell or just tell?

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:14:59 AM  Show Profile
I put different sized washboards in my garden. I have a Glass King (huge!) which is gorgeous when the sun shines through the backside, a Brass King, and a Zinc King all out in my front garden.

I have also lined the front bed every two feet with "telephone insulators" - the clear ones, not the blue ones. They rest atop 1/2"x10" "industrial screws" which I just drove 7" into the ground. When I want a luminaria look, I flip them up in front of the screws and put tealight candles in them.

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  4:35:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kaylyn-

What a great idea! Can you post a picture of you garden all aglow? I bet it looks really neat!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  8:44:47 PM  Show Profile
Alee:

As soon as my house is finished and I can be assured that the workmen will no longer break my ornaments, *absolutely*!

It isn't their fault - it's my own. What was I thinking?? We got new windows, siding and gutters and had some wet-rot under our old windows removed and repairs done. In the process, a few of my things were broken: a 12" round glass "bowl" that I turned upside down to look like a gazing bowl (thrift shop - $2.50), a ceramic cat with a face made from nuts & bolts and wire-brush whiskers (sale table - $1). A discarded chair that I found on someone's driveway on garbage day is out there with a pot in it - but now it's missing it's back. (But I do so love Elmer's Wood Glue!) Thankfully my vintage Radio Flyer wagon, another garbage day find, is still intact...that will soon have potted annuals. Oh - I also have a *really* cool "minnow pot" that has holes all around the sides - it was made to be submerged and had a large ring of styrofoam on the top to make it float. I removed the styrofoam and put a candle in that, too - it sheds a really *awesome* glow on my porch (thift store find - $10.) Behind that is a tree-limb basket that holds annuals - yet another trash day curbside rescue.

Hopefully they'll be done next week so I can get everything moved back into place. I'll get daylight photos and night-time photos. ~ K

Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:14:40 PM  Show Profile
OK I am sharing my one of a kind idea with you all. My partner makes folding chairs out of wine barrel staves. Very cool, very labor intensive, very puzzle like- ick not my thing. But after she tears apart the barrels the metal rings collect on the side of the house. I've been trying to come up with something to do with them- tada- art!
This afternoon I took 4 approximately the same size and drilled holes directly opposite eachother on each ring. Then I lined up the holes and put a bolt through each set of holes. Are you picturing this? it is a metal ball made of the rings that hold a barrel together. Looks soooo cool and expensive. Think they may look cool sitting on top of a half wine barrel as a topiary frame. I'm just going to throw a couple around the yard in flower beds and let the greenery grow up and around and through them.

Oh and our neighbor gave me 3 wine barrel liners to make a fountain with. looking into designs tonight. If you haven't guessed... we have ALOT of wine barrels.

Have a good night ladies.

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  06:49:06 AM  Show Profile
You could do a bottle tree!
Here is a pic I found on the internet

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  07:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Kelly, how lucky you are to have a supply of hoops on hand and a creative mind...I'd love to see your wine ball! I think there would be a market for them...I'd buy a few...

Here's a link to check out. It is a fence made out of wheels of all sorts. Just lovely. http://www.artisanbarn.org/

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  08:09:23 AM  Show Profile
Gals
These ideas are awesome.

Julie, I may adapt your idea. We had a challenge last weekend with our neighbor who owns the adjoining vacant land. The got made that our dog would bark at them, came on our property to try & kick her, then started to put up fence post. In doing so they snapped off a 5 yr. jonigold dwarf tree (that just started to bare fruit last yr) on purpose, that was on our property. I was so made I wanted to post it on their fence with a bill for $150.

But now I think I'll put it up in the center of the garden & place bottles on all the branches as a sign of purpose, liberty & continuance.
Thanks.

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  12:36:55 PM  Show Profile
Hehehehe a Bottle tree....Guess who is putting one toogether for her Mom? ME!
wine barrel base filled half with concrete- rebar trunks and my sisiter is going to weld the rebar branches. I put a call out for collored bottles on another board. Then I realized I could ask local bars to save their pretty bottles for me. Hope it doesn't make my Mom look like a drunk.
Yeah how fun!!

Michelle- As far as the wine barrel hoop balls. I had another idea last night about using grinder to take off galvanized finish to make them sparkle. Let me see how that works, I'll get pictures as soon as my daughter teaches me to use the camera.
Hey where are you? I am trying to get a farmgirl chapter together for Tri-Cities and surrounding areas.

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - May 11 2007 :  4:12:52 PM  Show Profile
*WOW*!!! Very cool ideas!!!!

Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  05:02:52 AM  Show Profile
We have a lot of wineries around here- they will sell whole (used) barrels for $40. You can cut them in half and have 2 barrels to plant in or keep them whole and do something else--

Kim
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - May 14 2007 :  6:15:39 PM  Show Profile
I found a bunch of old light fixtures, they would've looked great in a farmhouse because they are the vintage ornate ones, but they were cracked. So I had hubby make metal holders and put them around in the garden. They already have a hole in the bottom so the rain water goes right through. My cheap take on the gazing ball.

Cynthia
www.pinecanyonranch.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  09:07:25 AM  Show Profile
Cynthia
I bet those are cute.
For Mother's Day I got a copper sprinkler that stands about 3 feet high. It has 2 circles about 12" in diameter with a butterfly in the middle. It's cool how the circles go opposite directions when it's on. It looks pretty when it's not too.

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 15 2007 :  9:33:11 PM  Show Profile
I love the chandelier idea. I will pass it along to my Mama, I am sure she has a place for one or two :)

kelly

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Art Ideas Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page