Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  2:29:11 PM  Show Profile
3 years ago I was having a early mid life crisis. What do I want to do with my life, what's my purpose, what kind of person do I want to be, etc. My partner encouraged me to write a list of "wants" and "needs". I sat down with many cups of coffee and over 2 days came up with 3 pages packed with ideas. I shared it with my family. Basic gist of the list.

Organic farm
Bed and Breakfast
Homesteading skill school
crafts
value added organic products
newsletter
farm tours
outings for local troubled children
u pick
csa
community
friends
commercial kitchen
sustainable

etc. etc. etc.

I thought I was terribly original. I started attending college for a degree in Agriculture (1 year left)because there wasn't any "organic" degrees. In one of my first classes I was to write a paper on my "dream farm" and how to acheive it. During my research wouldn't you know I came across Mary Jane's Farm.......... My dream farm was already in existance and it seemed to be doing well AND it isn't but 3 hours from my hometown. Mary Jane has been a huge inspiration to me when I just can't stand school one more day dealing with all the young male would be conventional farmers and their spray, kill, dominate mentalities. I share her website with everyone I know, but only recently started participating in Farm Girls.
Happy to say we had our first Market garden last year and did alright with only three quarters of an acre in production. This year I am honing some of my crafting skills along with tring some square foot gardening techniques. Winters are for soap and candle expirementing, and learning rug making. One step at a time my partner says... Our land is part of my families ranch and it's waiting for us when we are ready to make the move.

Just happy to be here, happy to be meeting you ladies.

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  3:14:05 PM  Show Profile
Wow Kelly!

Good for you!
I think it's rare that we have the opportunity to actually have been able to have put down on paper what our goals are..
Then look back later to find that we did indeed reach some of these Dreams!!
What a great accomplishment! & the forsight you had to do that!
Good! i hope you continue seeing your dreams become realities!

Kathie

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  6:54:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kelly-

It sounds like you are well on your way to achieving many of your goals! Congrats!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  7:20:53 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Good for you!! I think I am in the middle of a litte "something" myself right now. I just started a "life" list last week. How interesting to hear of someone else doing the same thing!! Congrats on your goals and dreams.....
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  7:25:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Congratulations!!! Both on your schooling and your dreams comming true! I wish you the very best as you finish up with school and as you press on to making the list a reality!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  8:35:59 PM  Show Profile
How cool is that??? I love the idea of your lists!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  03:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
Your list is a great one! And I am impressed with how you are working towards your goal....I am sure you will realize ALL of your dreams. Mary Jane is an inspiration for all of us. And it is so great to have such a wonderful group of friends....glad you are a part of it!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Check out my shoppe at www.honeybeez.etsy.com
www.beehavenacres.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:46:43 AM  Show Profile
Kelly,
I love your list and I love the fact that you are in school following your dream. I'll come to Richland for classes. Wish I was close enough to participant in your CSA one day. Keep the faith, keep the knowing in your heart and you will be there.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Beecharmer
Farmgirl in Training

37 Posts

Kelly
Richland WA
USA
37 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  10:03:47 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for the kind words and support. I love my list. I reread it often just to see if I am still on the same track. Things have changed some, more like evolved into even better ideas. I strongly encourage making dream lists. If nothing else its a lovely way to spend an afternoon or two or three.

Oh and Debbie- you just wait, I've got some other things cooking. Can't wait to share.

GrayHawk Farm
Prosser, WA
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic My list Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page