Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Parenting & Farm Kids
 cloth diapers and odor
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic cloth diapers and odor Next Topic  

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  09:27:30 AM  Show Profile
I am going to be new to this cloth diaper thing. My husband thinks I have lost my mind and should use disposables. I am set on using cloth diapers as I can't imagine all the disposable diapers in the land fill.
What do you put them in once they are dirty. How to you keep odor at bay. I just found out about the inserts. I think I decided to use fuzzy buns based on the recomendations here. Anything I should know about the laundry process. How many diapers should I buy?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Laura

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  09:53:00 AM  Show Profile
I'd suggest visiting www.greenmountaindiapers.com lots of info and great products. also mothering magazines web site.

I use a diaper pail and add about 1/3c vinegar in the liner bag before I start adding soiled diapers. This seems to cut the smell. But I think I remember reading vinegar shouldn't be used with all in ones, so perhaps baking soda in the bottom of the pail itself...

Your DH will be pleasantly surprised with how easy it is to use cloth diapers if you get the all in ones (cover and diaper in one piece--just as convenient as disposable) or regular diapers with cloth covers you simply velcro or snap to keep the diaper in place.

Always rinse off (in the toilet) heavily poopy diapers before putting in the pail.

This page at greenmountain talks about what new moms need to know: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/newmom.htm
And this one for howto fold diapers, wash diaper etc: http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/howto.htm

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  09:54:05 AM  Show Profile
btw where in WA are you? I'm in the Olympia area.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  10:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laura-

We use cloth diapers and I must say- we haven't had any issue with smell at all. Nora is breast milk fed only so her diapers don't smell unpleasant and we wash a load daily. You can use a lidded pail and put some baking soda in as Lizabeth recommended and that should control the odor. I don't suggest using a "wet pail" as that could be a recipe for disaster.

Today's washing machines extract so much water and wash so well that you don't need a wet pail to help with the wash.

Good Luck!

BTW- My fiance is a pro at cloth diapering now. We did disposables and cloth for about the first month until I just didn't buy a replacement pack of the disposables. At $.25 to $.40 per diaper and 500 years to biodegrade- it just wasn't worth it to me. After the first day or so he stopped bemoaning the lack of disposables. It has been 2 weeks now at 100% cloth! Yay!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  11:26:57 AM  Show Profile
As a cloth diapering veteran...both of my girls were cloth diped...Zoe is still in them now and she is 18 mos., I DO NOT recommend a wet pail. I do recommend getting a hand held bidet to attach to your toilet (you can google them, they are around $30 but worth it) to rinse the poopy dipes then just toss them in a bucket. I have ZERO stink in our bathroom/laundry room doing it this way.

Come laundry day, I dump the dipes into the washer, put it on the cold fast cycle, use my detergent that I make and a little seventh generation bleech and they come our crystal clean.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  2:41:36 PM  Show Profile
I have been using the cloth for 8 months. No smell yet! And I use no pail. lol I use old plastic bags from the grocery store (you know when you get your stuff bagged at walmart! lol) When it's full I tie it up and take it to the laundry room. lol (I hang it on the door knob of the bedroom, as the door is right by where I change her). You don't have to soak them if you breast feed I had heard, so I don't soak them, I just drump them in the washer they come out clean! Nothing left in the washer. lol However, I just bought some ticking at Walmart (you know like was used on old pillows). And some muslim. I'm going to make a laundry bag just for the diapers. It will still hang on the door, but be cuter then the walmart bag! lol I will embroidery the muslim, with a days of the week laundry pattern, probaby a duck washing clothes by Aunt Martha's patterns. I think it will be cute, then I will jsut dump the diapers in and then the bag in.

I liked fuzzy buns ok, but you deffinately need stuffers for the fuzzibuns. And there seems to be a lot of sizes. I have just started using Kooshies, and I love them. I've used G diapers, Gerber, Fuzzibuns, and mostly Wonderroos Super Stars, and so far the Kooshie's are my favorites! If you get the kind with like a tongue! No stuffer needed, as the stuffer is already in there. And with the velcro it's just like a disposable. My husband is always worried abotu all the snaps on the Wonderroos and always ask me to do it as he gets confused by all of them! lol But, with the Kooshies he's not confused and can do it all by himself. Especially since he doesn't have to figure out the stuffer part either! Since it's built in!

BTW, I've went on 6 plane trips with her since she's been born, and cloth diapered on every one, using the walmart bags for the dirties, and not one person every lifted a eye about smell/odor. I don't think any one knew! And these were long plane trips!

Edited by - MagnoliaWhisper on May 05 2007 05:34:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  09:25:02 AM  Show Profile
I have cloth diapered all four of my girls, and during these 12 or so years I have learned alot! I started with flat fold and prefolded diapers, pins and plastic pants or Nikki covers. (Nikkis are no longer made)

This is what I still use today:
Fuzzi Bunz: these are definately the most expensive up front, but I love the way baby stays dry, no folding, pins or covers. They come really clean, and our Dad likes how easy they are to use. I would highly recommend getting some of the Joey Buns hemparoo inserts!

Diaper Service Quality Prefolds: They are super cheap, I bought my last ones off of E-bay from a seller named Alpine Silver leaf. The quality is TONS better than the gerber ones. I usually pin these and lately I am using wool soakers I have handknit...love em!
But the ProWraps are awesome, and really, just as easy as disposable, just lay a diaper in the cover and velcro it on to baby! No pins! This would be the most economical way to start.

Here's what I would buy if I were starting new:
2 dozen infant size prefolds, 6 prowraps in newborn/infant size, or wool soakers!
2 or 3 Fuzzi Bunz for overnights, baby stays dry, no leaks! You can try the FBs without forking out the big $$ up front.
12-24 washcloths or cloth wipes.
A five gallon bucket
A diaper sprayer for the toilet, if you like, I have never had one, so I can't say, but lots of other Mama's love them.
That's it.

I never do a wet pail, I just use the cheap-o bucket with a lid, I usually drop some lemongrass EO, or Tea tree oil in the summertime. But really, I think disposable diapers stink more! The trick to keeping the smell down is washing the diapers every two days or so, the longer they stay in the pail, the more smell.

If you start with 2 dozen diapers, in the smallest size, you can see if that is enough for you, and buy more as needed. My girls stayed in the infant ones for 6-9 months, then I went to the regular size, we never needed the toddler ones, but I have 6 or so, they are great for changing pads!

Oh, and here's how I wash
~I always start with a 15 minute cold water rinse ( this will get all the poo poo off before they can set in with a hot wash) then I do a hot soak (this kills germs and really clean the diapers) then a hot wash, and a double cold water rinse. I use only 1/8 cup of my homemade laundry soap. But if I use store bought soap, I used half the scoop, 1/2 cup of borax, and some OxyClean. No stink!

Really, give it a try, cloth diapering is NOT as hard as you (or your dh) might think!!

I also love the green mountain website...super informative

http://diaperpages.com/
is a super good site, with a mom's trial and error in the cloth diaper world.

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

summerbreeze
True Blue Farmgirl

277 Posts

Laura
WA
USA
277 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  8:50:15 PM  Show Profile
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. I placed an order tonight and all the words of your experience really helped. I'm just excited for the baby to get here and try it all out. All of you woman have been such a valuable resource thru this entire pregnancy.
Laura

Lizabeth, I'm in the Woodinville area. Just north of Redmond

You only live once,if you do it right once is enough.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  9:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Laura-

I am so excited for you. Please let us know when your little one arrives!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  02:08:17 AM  Show Profile
If you need any on-site cloth diapering help or anything at all really, I could make a special trip north. I hope you have family or others near by who will be supporting you :)

Enjoy motherhood! My little man is such a treasure. It is incredible to watch him show more and more of his personality. Today we sat on the kitchen floor and "painted" with water and a sponge. He ended up wearing most of the water, but he enjoyed it a lot. sigh. the floor needed washed anyway!

What is your expected date for babykins' arrival?

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  05:35:36 AM  Show Profile
its been many years since my diaper days but I did the same thing my mom did. I emptied the poop in the toilet, flushed, then swooshed it around a second time. Then I put the rinsed diaper into a bucket that got washed out everyday w/ vinegar & baking soda. Never did my bathroom or home smell bad. I always washed the diapers seperate in my washing machine. I didnt have a service that picked them up.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 10 2007 :  8:14:32 PM  Show Profile
I remember my mom dumping the poo as well........however, it was all baby sat children, now I think they must of been on formula.......because I can't figure out how to "dump" the poo out of my daughters. She is only on breast milk, and is 8 months old and has never had a "solid" poo to dump. It's more of a slime, that sits there. lol
Go to Top of Page

dewdrop sewing
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Christine
Mount Vernon OH
USA
9 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  04:17:14 AM  Show Profile  Send dewdrop sewing an AOL message
Hi, I too have been cloth diapering my children (3 and 16 months) and plan on cloth diapering the one on the way! I met with a great amount of resistance from family and friends, but thankfully had the support of my husband. Like you I couldn't bear to think of the fact that every disposable diaper I put on my child would still be in a landfill when they reached their 70's!

I purchased a liner for a lidded laundry hamper from green mountain diapers. www.greenmountaindiapers.com. This worked really well to prevent any smell from escaping, especially once the children moved onto table food. I never found that I had to add anything to the bucket even! I just rinsed off any "deposits" and then tossed the diapers into the lined hamper and closed the lid! You just toss in the liner when you wash diapers and it is ready to go with the clean diapers! I was able to use the same diaper through my son and partially through my daughter before it lost some of its odor and moisture resistance, but I'm planning on ordering another. When you order diapers from them they send you a very detailed "instruction manual" which goes over everything to do with cloth diapering. Even though I had been a cloth diapered baby and so had my siblings it was great to have an updated manual of what could be done with cloth diapers thanks to the improvements in washing machines, etc.
Good luck with your diapering and congratulations on the new baby!
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  07:05:52 AM  Show Profile
Christine, isn't it strange how you get such resistance for somethings o normal?> Disposables were introduced for ease of diapering while travelling, but then people, as people do, got lazy and started buying them up and using them daily. Peggy O'Mara of Mothering Magazine wrote a great piece called "A Tale of Two Diapers" gives a good overview of the history of disposables and the fact that it's illegal to throw them away while they contain raw human waste! It has a lot of great info.

The other week at the thrift store I found a box of cloth diaper liners from the late 70's. It was unopened and they were disposable, flushable even and really safe. My brain itches wondering why diaper groups had to ruin a good thing by giving a lazy society disposable toilets.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  07:16:02 AM  Show Profile
LIzabeth - I live in Elma and I also do craft shows. My next one is Puyallup Meeker Days. Let me know what your schedule is for the spring/summer and I'll see if we're doing any of the same ones!
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  2:20:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I still have resistance from my MIL. I don't get it at all! One of my husband's aunts said she gave me a week before I went to disposables. Well it's been almost 9 months now.......and we're still using cloth! UHG. I don't know why people think it's so hard. It's very easy. To me I don't see how it is harder then disposables. It's about one more load of laundry a week....(if you have enough diapers, I just bought 10 more kushies!) And that's it. It's so easy. I don't get why people use the disposables?
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  4:30:21 PM  Show Profile
I raised all four of my kids with cloth diapers - it was the 70s and 80s and disposables were just coming out. I never even considered using them due to the cost, but I'm so glad now that I didn't considering other factors such as environmental, and I just think cloth must be more comfortable. Plus, I loved hanging them all out on the clothes line and having them be all fresh smelling and white from the wind and sun.
Go to Top of Page

Meg
Moderator/Farmgirl True

974 Posts

Meg
Idaho
USA
974 Posts

Posted - May 17 2007 :  9:09:40 PM  Show Profile
The spray nozzle that Tasha suggested that hooks to your toilet clean water line is FABULOUS! It makes cloth diapering a breeze and she (6 months) is so snuggly in her flannel diapers. Everyone else's advice is wonderful and has made my experience (a similar thread around when Stella was born) so much easier.

MaryJane's daughter,

Meg
megan@maryjanesfarm.org
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 18 2007 :  10:21:34 AM  Show Profile
I live in the city, and we get diaper service (walking down three flights of stairs with a load of diapers every few days would be impossible). My baby is a redhead, so you can imagine how sensitive his skin is. I'm glad I cloth-diaper. His butt gets red when we use disposables for a long amount of time (we use disposables when we go out and sometimes overnight)
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 08 2007 :  3:12:09 PM  Show Profile
I knwo what you mean about walking down long flights of stairs, but we don't have any diaper services near me that I know of. So I walk down the 12 flights of stairs with them, but I have enough for one week, and I just do them once a week.
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  11:46:19 AM  Show Profile
You are doing a good thing by using cloth, don't let your husband tell you otherwise!

As for how many you need, I have 2 dozen that way I'm sure not to run out between loads.

If you wash a pail load every night you won't have an odor problem at all, also rinse out the pail once you've put the diapers in the washing machine and sprinkle baking soda in the bottom to control any smells. It might seem tedious to do a load every night but once you have a routine down it's not horrid.

To deal with our cloth diapers I add baking soda to the washing machine to boost the laundry or you can add Borax to the laundry cycle. I also double rinse the diapers to get any residue out.

Kooshies has wonderful soaker pants (or diaper covers) to keep the outside dry.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  1:32:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I thought that Doug would hate cloth diapering when we started, but he took to it really fast and he really likes it now! Nora even did great on the plane ride we took a couple months ago. I am so glad that I "converted" to the farmgirl way of thinking long before I had my baby. I can't imagine what raising Nora would be like if we had decided to do disposables and formula.

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 13 2007 :  2:57:52 PM  Show Profile
Just to let you know, here's another website that sells cloth diapers and diaper covers.

www.wallypop.net

Edited by - ivmeer on Aug 13 2007 2:59:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2008 :  11:29:02 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
bump