JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  05:34:23 AM  Show Profile
hello i am a wondering about home made soap i have been making it for three years now and wold like to chat about it thankyou jo!

love is all you need

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  10:05:28 AM  Show Profile
Hi Jo, welcome to the board! I love homemade soap and am getting ready to learn how to make it :)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  07:11:46 AM  Show Profile
I've been making soap for 11 years. What sort of things are you wondering about?

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  10:36:44 AM  Show Profile
hi molly i know a book you may already know about it but thought i would send the name to you just in case ! it is the complete soap maker by norma coney and it is very good at detailed instructions on how to get started with making soap hope u find it i think you can find it on the web k? by by jo~
quote:
[i]Originally posted by mollymae
Hi Jo, welcome to the board! I love homemade soap and am getting ready to learn how to make it :)

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  10:43:41 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jo, I just ordered a couple of books on soap-making on eBay last week, don't remember the names off hand , but I will look for this one!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2005 :  10:49:06 AM  Show Profile
Jo, I just found an eBay auction with 2 of her books, the complete soap maker AND the complete candle maker...I just bid on it, fun!!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  1:29:57 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farmgirls

I would like to offer a salute to all of the soapmakers out there. I will probably never make my own soap, but I visit the Farmers Market in my little town regularly to purchase homemade Castille Soap for $3.00 per bar from a great lady named Mary Miller.

I have terribly dry skin, and her soap has completely solved my dry skin problem.

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2005 :  1:41:26 PM  Show Profile
Connie, one of the bad things about detergent bars (Lever and Dial, for example) is that the naturally occurring glycerine is removed and sold as a separate product. Glycerine is moisturizing. The petroleum products used in detergent are drying. They're hard on your skin. True soap is so much healthier.

Robin
Thyme For Ewe Farm
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

hotmamawillie
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Gail
Mount Airy Maryland
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  09:44:47 AM  Show Profile
This is my first chat response. I have been a MJF for 2 years and just got on this chat!! This past summer I just planted my first crop of Lavender. Now that I am growing Lavender I need idea's!!! Since you make soap I could use your idea's. Could I send you some Lavender? My plant's are not mature there is no purple flower. Next year I should have the flowering lavender. What part of the plant do you use for soap making?

Gail
Mt.Airy, MD
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  3:35:41 PM  Show Profile
Hello, I just started making soap about a month ago. So I am new to this, but I love it!
I have just been making a really cheap basic recipe, but I like it.
I want to try some recipes with other Oils sometime soon!!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
I am interested in making a creamy white vanilla soap - any helpers out there? I've tried to make soap once but just can't seem to get the creamy part.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2005 :  8:38:10 PM  Show Profile
Some friends and I just made some soap. We used beef tallow that my friend rendered from their cows that they butchered. We also made pure olive oil soap. we have to french mill it yet so haven't had a chance to use it. I am having a hard time getting my husband convinced that it is better to use, only because it doesn't suds enough for him. Is ther something you can put in the soap to make it suds more?

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  04:17:39 AM  Show Profile
Coconut oil adds suds to soap.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  09:50:57 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Robin!

"The gloom of the world is but a shadow; behind it, yet within our reach is joy. Take joy!" Fr.Giovanni
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2005 :  10:02:54 AM  Show Profile
I find that too...I like a beef tallow/ coconut oil soap best of all that I have made in the past 15 or so years. I like lard the least as an ingredient. It makes a softer soap and I don't like the bacony scent it seems to get eventually..but some folks like it best for soapmaking.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2005 :  11:12:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bridge

Hello, I just started making soap about a month ago. So I am new to this, but I love it!
I have just been making a really cheap basic recipe, but I like it.
I want to try some recipes with other Oils sometime soon!!

Hi Bridgett i have been making soap now for three years, and i have tried alot of different recipes. I even use bacon fat, but don't eat enough of it to gather it up, there is a book by norma coney u can look up on the net. it is a wonderfull book with all kinds of different recipees, even shampoo which i make all the time now, wouldn't use anything else! Hope u find the book it is well worth it. good luck jo~

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

Lena@HickoryGroveFarm
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Marlena
Brunson SC
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  11:13:03 AM  Show Profile
I found a book called, Soap...Naturally, which can only be termed a "soap encyclopedia." It is not a pretty coffee table book, but in it you will find everything from the history of soap to the chemistry of it, to recipes. Also included: the properties of oils, whether or not they will work for soap, and MANY different methods. The best part is you learn "secrets" that most find out by trial and error, and there is a troubleshooting guide. Plus, you will find many useful tables: saponification, conversion tables, and the like. You can see the table of contents at http://www.soapnaturally.com/bookdetails.html. The book is from Australia, and the only US source is at http://www.annelees.com/books/. This book is a text book, no doubt about it, but I think it is most likely the one I'll reference the most. Anne takes a while to send it, so be prepared for that, but it's worth it.

Lena

Budding Farm Girl and member of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Art

see www.marlenam.com
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2005 :  03:40:01 AM  Show Profile
I know what u mean when u can't convince a man to use the homemade soap,ha ha!. I had the same problem, but i finally convinceed my hubby, they do like the suds,. I use those netted scrungie things,only a buck here at the dollar stores. It makes it suds up really well. I woulsn't use anything else now! Sooo nice on your skin. The shampoo i really love, (in the bars) instead of the liquid form, it really lathers up, haven't had any problems at all with dryness. since i've been using all my own soaps and shampoos, I know they all don't always turn out perfect to look at but, sure is fun once u get into it. I made one here the other day and put coffee grounds in it, takes balsome off your hands, also kitchen odours such as onion's and garlic.My husband seems to like that as it sometimes helps with minor greese on his hands,when he works on vehicles Jo~P.S. I think the lavendar u can use the flower parts, sure wish i could get that stuff growing here!May try again this spring.

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  11:21:36 AM  Show Profile
hi jenny, i saw in my soap book it said to put potatoe peeling in when u render the bacon fat or melt lard , and it should take the stench out of it , i tell ya i have been doing the singel bar recipee! mix a bit of left over bacon fat, which we don't get that often anymore!!!! buuuuuut!! once in a blue moon tee hee! we splerge. anyways i mix it with suett, and it is really nice, i found the cocoanut oil to be a bit drying to make it sudsy, but it does work fer sure , as i find men don't like it because it doesn't seem to suds up enough, i always use those netted sponges! thingies? it looks like a net, u can buy almost anywhere! and it really suds's it up. i love my soap. i am sooo much a believer of it, as i haven't had a single skin prob. since i've been using it!it sure came in handy this yr. too for gift giving, i also reasd somewhere u can use corn husk's in it whelst it's drying to give it good scent, i can't see how! but i am going to try it this garden season coming up! i always hand mill it so i can always pull it out of the mouls after it sets long enough befor hand milling itor as i am milling it,? have to find that out at the time i guess lol!! i like the floating bars, in the tub don't have to search for it, ha ha!! later gals jo!

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2005 :  5:04:21 PM  Show Profile
I've only made soap a few times and I'm so glad you started this discussion. Robin, you seem to be the expert here.. I made lavender soap a little while ago and the smell is flat.. It lacks a real strong lavender smell, even when its wet. The obvious question is did I not use enough essential oil? I thought I used plenty.. the other aspect of this may be my vegetable shortening.. I made some with different kinds of fats; vegetable shortening, oil live, canola oil etc... do you have a formula that's creamy and wonderful? Furthermore, my soap has a little white dusting on the outside..what's this?..too much borax or lye leftover? It suds and cleans nicely and doesn't have a rancid smell but I just want some tweaking tips. I'm going to try goat's milk next.. last but not least there was this great supplier in spokane where I could buy everything in bulk but it no longer exists...do you have any recommendations?..thanks so much!! Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

JerseyCowFan
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Michelle
Colville Washington
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  12:46:07 AM  Show Profile  Click to see JerseyCowFan's MSN Messenger address
I used beef tallow for the first time just a few days ago and found it to be much different than Norma Coney's ideas! And, she says to add the water to the lye, but others say lye to water. We did the second and it worked fine. I heard that the more you read, the more confused you get. It was good for getting an idea of what we should do, then we made up our own mind. If anyone needs help on beef tallow soap, I may be able to help you. It has to be heated warmer than other fats, but solidified as it cooled, quicker than I expected. We added about 20% coconut oil, and that worked good for suds.

HINT: Make sure you check SAP values!!!

Michelle
Spirited Rose Jerseys
Colville, WA
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  04:17:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by julia hayes

I made lavender soap a little while ago and the smell is flat.. It lacks a real strong lavender smell, even when its wet. The obvious question is did I not use enough essential oil?

I apologize for taking so long! I didn't see this when you asked.

I use .7 oz of essential oil per pound of base oils (olive, lard, soybean, palm, etc) except for citrus, which is 1 oz per pound of base oils. Citrus doesn't hold well. Adding a little litsea eo will help that. How much eo did you use? And how much base oils?

Also, most essential oils that don't hold up well can be added at a thick trace when there's little raw lye left in the soap.

quote:
I thought I used plenty.. the other aspect of this may be my vegetable shortening.. I made some with different kinds of fats; vegetable shortening, oil live, canola oil etc... do you have a formula that's creamy and wonderful?

www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/rbow_recipes/recipe_view.asp?RG=1
That should be helpful.

quote:
Furthermore, my soap has a little white dusting on the outside..what's this?..too much borax or lye leftover?

It's ash. Do you leave your soap uncovered and/or uninsulated after your pour it into the mold? Ash is excellent for very dirty clothes.

Are you using Borax to soften hard water?

quote:
last but not least there was this great supplier in spokane where I could buy everything in bulk but it no longer exists...do you have any recommendations?..thanks so much!! Julia Hayes

I've been buying eo's from Melody Upham at Rainbow Meadow (link above) since she opened the business. She started out as a soap maker so she knows what soap makers need and want. She's careful in her choices of essential oils. Smart lady who started out by buying a few gallons of assorted eo's and built her business up very well. I buy the few fo's I use from Linda Jines at Sweetcakes. www.sweetcakes.com. I knew Linda from her soap making days. She saw a need for reasonably priced fo's back way back when there were just a few of us making soap as a business.

quote:
And, she says to add the water to the lye, but others say lye to water.

You made the right choice, Michele. That's dangerous. It heats up dangerously fast and can volcano out of the container.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
www.farm-garden.com/robin
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  10:00:31 AM  Show Profile
Robin -- thanks for all the information. When using your eo's do you meausure by weight or volume?

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

julia hayes
True Blue Farmgirl

1132 Posts

julia
medical lake wa
USA
1132 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  10:11:55 AM  Show Profile
Robin thank you sooooo much. I will definitely check out these links..especially when I make soap again, which will be really soon. I don't cover my soaps as they are drying? What would you recommend for covering them. I really do want to make my bath soaps a little nicer looking. Thanks again! Julia Hayes

being simple to simply be
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Dec 27 2005 :  11:38:29 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by therusticcottage

Robin -- thanks for all the information. When using your eo's do you meausure by weight or volume?

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/

I measure everything by weight but some times decide "that much" oatmeal or crushed peppermint looks right instead of what I have weighed out.

quote:
Originally posted by julia hayes

Robin thank you sooooo much. I will definitely check out these links..especially when I make soap again, which will be really soon. I don't cover my soaps as they are drying? What would you recommend for covering them. I really do want to make my bath soaps a little nicer looking. Thanks again! Julia Hayes

You're welcome! I cover mine with butcher paper, wax side down. I use wooden collapsible molds that get stacked three or four high and four or five wide. I toss a towel over the top row.

I don't think ash takes away from the soap. When I make laundry soap (orange essential oil works wonders on grease and farmy odors) I don't intentionally don't cover it so that I get the ask. You can slice the ash off the bars.

Robin
www.thymeforewe.com
www.farm-garden.com/robin
Go to Top of Page

JO AND AL
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Jocelyn
parrsboro nova scotia
Canada
235 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2006 :  02:49:07 AM  Show Profile
hi girls i saw in norma's book the natural coulours u can get, but haven't been able to find a pottery house around here, have any of u used the natural colours from a pottery house? some of the colours are (like) burnt umber. russian red, burnt ochre, so on! i am about to make a batch here soon, the suett is expensive here, i used to get it free from a butherer!!! but haven't been able to get any from him anymore, i always pour the lye into the water, guess i got used to doing it that way, i put a measuring cup in a bowl of ice water, with the right amount of water called for, and then add the lye it cools alot quicker, and i just leave the fat on low till it reaches it's proper temp seems to get the soap mixed faster, when i sort of hurray the lye along to cool,do any of your girls make floating soap? it is cool to do, i like it as it is easier to find in the tub lol!tootle loo jo

love is all you need
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Farmgirl Birthdays: Previous Topic home made soap Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page