Author Make It Easy: Previous Topic "Antique" Farm Equipment? Next Topic  

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  1:40:31 PM  Show Profile
Not sure if this is the right place...scattered around the land we bought are pieces of old farm equipment...plows, harrows, trailers...I can post pics if that would help. Anyway, I'm sure they're supposed to be decorative, but they're rusty, overgrown and in the way. I don't know whether to freecycle them just to get them out of here, or whether I should try to sell them. Anyone else had to clean old farm machinery out of a new-to-you place?

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  2:09:23 PM  Show Profile
might there be a museum in your area..like a rural living museum or a place where they do reenactments that might want to use the equipment to add interest to their "homestead" areas? that is an idea for you.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  2:14:52 PM  Show Profile
You might be surprized what might be worth something. I would do a little googling and see if you could find if they are worth anything or if it is just worth it to you to get it out of there I would freecycle it. I wish I was closer Hubby and I would come and take a look. Good luck
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  2:59:36 PM  Show Profile
we were lucky to find a disk and a plow on our land and Rob uses them. They are old, but they are still very useable.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  3:43:24 PM  Show Profile
I would love it if I could use them...no tractor, though. They're also pretty rusty.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  4:16:56 PM  Show Profile
I would definitely look into the museum idea...my DH's family rebuilt and donated a lot of great old equipment to the place they hold the county fair each year. If you don't like this brand of "yard art" there are those who do collect old farming gear...it is worth getting the word out. Someone might just be thrilled, and some of it may be worth money...

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  4:21:43 PM  Show Profile
you just need to greese the moving parts...the dirt takes care of the rust on the disks and blades.

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  7:26:27 PM  Show Profile
PocketFarmgirl,

These items will be dear treasures to someone who appreciates them (whether they work or not!). I have rusty tractor implements here too and I couldn't count the offers I've received from people who would like to purchase them or trade for something. I bet you could barter for something or find someone willing to pay. If interested, post a sign on your fence or at the local trading post :)

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  7:56:54 PM  Show Profile
you could even trade them out for tilling/plowing of areas on your land where you'd like to put in gardens or such.
or trade them for some livestock or whatever.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

nashbabe
True Blue Farmgirl

687 Posts

687 Posts

Posted - May 26 2007 :  3:40:37 PM  Show Profile
Even if you're out in the sticks, there may well be a metal recycling company around there. I grew up on a farm 14 miles from the nearest town of 2000, and a couple farms over the guys ran a metal recycling biz...you can try that if it isn't worth selling.

Grew up on a farm...moved to da city...
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  11:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is the old farm equipment project going? Have you found people in your area that want them?

My parents had and excellent horse drawn plow as lawn decoration when I was growing up. I used to love to climb up onto that seat and pretend to drive the horses. Lots of fun!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  09:44:29 AM  Show Profile
A surprising number of people use rusty old farm equipment for decoration -- even farm folk, who should know better! You might want to post the availability of your pieces to your local Craigslist, or post a few index cards around town. (Don't forget to include landscapers, garden nurseries, etc.)

Someday, you might acquire a tractor. Do you think you might be sorry you let your equipment go? It's true that stuff you think wouldn't be usable really is. We have a fellow near us whose ancient Ford tractor is the only vehicle that can reliably clear our road when really heavy wet snow hits us. The man has almost no teeth and he's about a hundred years old (all 85 pounds of him), but he's like Robert Redford to me when he shows up with that rickety old tractor!
Go to Top of Page

farmer miller
Farmgirl in Training

19 Posts

dennis
ST.JOSEPH MO.
USA
19 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  04:53:59 AM  Show Profile
If the farm equipment is of the 20's and 30's it is worth big bucks.If it is of the 50's and 60's it not worth,much.
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2007 :  1:05:45 PM  Show Profile
I use rusty farm equipment--gates, plows, wagon wheels, old picket fence--in my yard and gardens. It drives my DH nuts! But....he has found lots of old rusty farm equipment here since we moved to our 'little farm' last spring. Just last week he drug an old rusty hay rake down off the hillside across the road. It belongs to the neighbors. They say it's ancient and told him it wouldn't work. He fixed it and used it behind the little tractor to rake the pasture after the hay was baled. He got 15 more bales of hay. There is also an Ag Museum across the creek from us where they have lots of that stuff. They'll probably be after this too.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  08:13:32 AM  Show Profile
Have a story to share...DH and I were doing clean up at the farm and were both hot and dusty, so we went for a drive. He took me to look at "yard art." I burst out laughing and thought of this post and all you gals. I explained, and he said, "well, they're only $5 each." So, after cleaning up what we called "junk" we bought someone else's "junk". I don't know what they are, but they are big, rusty, metal things you drag behind a tractor during some point in grain production. They do have pretty spoked wheels, and for $10 it is worth having a laugh and a memory. I may end up going back for the early farm truck...I just love the smooth curves and rusty patina. It is all in the eye of the beholder... :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  08:28:37 AM  Show Profile
Those old trucks fix up nicely -- of course, they're awful polluters. Is it possible to outfit old vehicle with emission control stuff, I wonder? Or convert them to ethanol-burners instead of gasoline? So many fun options, so little time...
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  08:44:16 AM  Show Profile
Oh, this old truck would need new everything I imagine. It is mostly just the body that is in "good" shape. It has those wing-flaps over where the engine should be (probably still there, I didn't peek.) It would take lots of time and money to make it roadworthy, but who knows...I may win the lottery if I ever buy a ticket... :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  1:16:08 PM  Show Profile
It sounds charming! Hey, if all else failed, you could make a planter out of it. Well...
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2007 :  08:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Oh, wouldn't that make a cute sign holder for the farm...baskets of flowers or old wooden chicken crates on the flatbed part, and prop up the signs on the runnerboard? Too cute... I'll file that one in my "get to it" plans.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  2:06:22 PM  Show Profile
There you go! MaryJane would. And it would be on the cover of her next book and people everywhere would be wishing they had an old truck just like that. Act now, or forever hold your crates!

Edited by - Rosemary on Jun 24 2007 2:06:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  3:04:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My family has a piece of farm equipment from the family ranch. It is a horse drawn corn planter. It plows the row, drops the corn, and the covers the seeds. It is a pretty amazing piece of machinery. It used to be my favorite thing to jumpstart my imagination when I was a kid!

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  09:08:49 AM  Show Profile
Okay, we've begun negotiations on the truck. Problem with buying old trucks: no papers. Apparantly all we have to do is put air in the tires and drive it home, once we can clear the title/paperwork that is. Definitely going to follow through on the sign idea. That's what drew me to MaryJane, she does so much of what I think about. :) Now I just need to act and share the enjoyment like she does.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2007 :  4:38:44 PM  Show Profile
Good luck, Huck! (Sorry, Michelle -- I couldn't resist!) Be sure to post a picture if you get that truck!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2007 :  09:34:18 AM  Show Profile
Now I'm stuck for another uck rhyme. Shuck(s). I really need to master the art of posting pictures. Hopefully by the end of summer I'll have it down. I might have to learn to blog. I could really use 3 more of me to get my list done.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Make It Easy: Previous Topic "Antique" Farm Equipment? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page