Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Reading Room
 what 'SUBJECTS' do you most like ...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Reading Room: Previous Topic what 'SUBJECTS' do you most like ... Next Topic  

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  11:14:36 PM  Show Profile
reading about?

i love early pioneer settler books and articles .. i love primitive crafting information .. from basketmaking to rughooking.

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  06:56:45 AM  Show Profile
Number one is horses. Yeah, big surprise, huh? I also love to read about gardening. I'm a total Cookbook Junkie, and will settle down with a good one and read it like a novel.

I don't do crafty things because I have no talent for it--- I can barely tie my shoes. But I do admire the work of others.

As I'm getting older, I really adore books with beautiful pictures. MaryJane's book is one like this. The pictures aren't just of objects; they speak a feeling. Another book like this is In Search of Lake Wobegon, by Garrison Keillor; and another is The Majestic Horse. Or you can combine two interests and have books like Cooking From Quilt Country or White Trash Cooking. Both have such compelling photographs.

I'm nuts about books. I'd eat beenie weenie for a week to afford another book.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  08:16:03 AM  Show Profile
oh i agree mary ann.. if i could only collect ONE thing in life .. it would be books!

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:22:09 AM  Show Profile
I'll read just about anything.

My latest tear is on 1930's era Better Homes & Gardens magazines. Yeah, I know - they aren't books. But it's fun to read about a simpler time. The "advice" is rather interesting and the recipes are so basic - they use *real* ingredients, not processed stuff.

I'm also reading Vonnegut's "Slaughterhouse-Five" and am amazed.

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  1:08:52 PM  Show Profile
My friend was just given a 1930's BHG, and we all had fun looking at it. Some of the advertisements are real howlers. Like the candy ad that touts "pure candy" as being scientifically proven to give you quick energy. The headline is something like "A mother with the energy of a debutante!" and it shows the older woman and the younger playing tennis with the box of candies sitting on the sidelines. If only that scientific claim had been true! Kinda makes you question the latest "superfood", doesn't it?
Go to Top of Page

faithymom
True Blue Farmgirl

360 Posts

Faith
Sandpoint ID
USA
360 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  9:43:44 PM  Show Profile
Candy's NOT super-food?!?!?!?!

LOL

"All television is educational television. The only question is, what is it teaching?"-Fmr. FCC Commissioner Nicholas Johnson
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic what 'SUBJECTS' do you most like ... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page