Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 Victoria magazine is coming back
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Victoria magazine is coming back Next Topic
Page: of 2

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  07:12:10 AM  Show Profile
I saw this on another website and wondered if it had been reported here. I couldn't find it so here is the url.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/20 07/04/birmingham_publisher_to_ revive.html

I just loved this mag. It is going to be a bit pricey but maybe subscriptions will be less.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  07:14:26 AM  Show Profile
Still couldn't get the url to print right:

Here is the copy.

Birmingham publisher to revive Victoria magazine
Posted by Birmingham News business staff April 26, 2007 3:41 PM
Categories: Business
Birmingham-based Hoffman Media LLC said Thursday it is teaming with Hearst Magazines to revive Victoria, a magazine that focuses on romantic living that ceased publication in 2003 after 16 years.

Hoffman, which publishes titles such as Cooking with Paula Deen, will control the direction of Victoria. The two companies also will release related media products under the Victoria name.

Hoffman said its first Victoria issue will hit the newsstands in October with a $4.99 cover price. It hopes to have 250,000 paid subscriptions in two years.

"Women across the country have longed to have their beloved Victoria back and now they will," said Phyllis Hoffman, CEO of Hoffman Media.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Edited by - Patsy on Apr 29 2007 07:18:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  08:02:26 AM  Show Profile
Hooray! A friend introduced me to Victoria just before it closed shop! I really liked that magazine - country, romantic, without being too fussy.

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  08:12:42 AM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness! What good news! This is one of my favourite magazines and I always scour the antique mall here for copies of the earlier years (which were better imho) I hope that they stay true to the old Victoria style. You could always get lost in the romance of a good Victoria magazine...

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  08:29:35 AM  Show Profile
Oh., be still my heart.... I have been a subscriber to "Victoria" till I got that fatal note in the mail that they were ceasing publication. :>(
I kidd you not, I have 4 large containers with over a dozen years worth of their magazines. They are stashed under my bed.
I also have a small stash of duplicates that I bought at a book rummage sale at our local library.
I especially love the eariler mag.'s because there were virtualy no advertisments in them.
I do not care what the cost, I will be buying a subscrition....look for me, I will be the 1st one in line!!!!!!
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

vintagegrl
True Blue Farmgirl

280 Posts

Jeanette
NH
USA
280 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  08:36:53 AM  Show Profile
Grace,

You were certainly smart to save the vintage Victoria's. I love that magazine, and I think I'll be right behind you on line to subscribe. Let's hope the quality of the magazine stays the same.
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:10:53 AM  Show Profile
Oh Boy!
I hope that it has the same "feel" as the old one. I have several of the old issues. Some from 1991, 1989 and 1999.
Hoffman Media does a great job with their magazines.
Have any of you every read Tea Time or Southern Lady? They are great and put out by Hoffman Media.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:26:44 AM  Show Profile
Ok, for those of you who have the older issues. I lost mine in a move. I am looking for a recipe about oh 15 (give or take 2 to 3 years) or so years ago. It was in a November issue. It was for baking a Thanksgiving turkey. It also had a pumpkin soup recipe in it. I would LOVE both recipes! The turkey recipe called for apple wine, and was stuffed with grapes, apples and I believe onion. The pumpkin soup, I beleive had apple cider, and that bright yellow herb/spice, I believe safron! And half and half, or cream was in the ingredients as well. I have wrote Victoria Magazine before it stopped printing about please helping me locate the recipe, I wrote them several times about it with no response. If any of you could help me, I would be soooooooo happy. I loved both those recipes immensly!
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:48:06 AM  Show Profile
I love Victoria Magazine. I used to read it when I was in highschool. I to have been searching for a recipe. It was a 7 layer poppy seed cake with an orange flower water icing. It was the first cake I ever made without my mom's help I made it for her birthday. I would love to make it for her mother's day. Please email if anyone happens to recall this cake!

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:47:37 AM  Show Profile
This makes my day, I"m so glad to see it come back, it's about time!! I too hope it still the same lovely magazine and not half full of ads?

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
www.photo-per-day.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  11:45:35 AM  Show Profile
Mandi, that's why I want the turkey recipe too. It was the first "big" meal I made by myself. IE the big turkey! And I made the soup to go with it. And I made a huge meal that year. And it came out so good! I hope we get the recipes! :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  12:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow ladies! I had never heard of Victoria magazine before. I am really excited to see the new one after all of your glowing reviews!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  12:51:03 PM  Show Profile
I am so totally excited about his! Victoria was my favorite magazine and I was so sad when it went out of print. Hope that the new one is as good as the old one was. I will definitely be picking up a copy.

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com OR www.annarosetta.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  1:38:04 PM  Show Profile
Hallelujiah!!!!!!! My mother was a subscriber from the beginning.It's great to see a magazine actually come back. In the last 2 years I've had 5 magazines I loved stop publishing, and it sucks when you stop getting your favourite magazines. Let's face it...sometimes it's like losing a friend...someone you know will always be there; fun; full of helpful information, a good time, and someone you just can't wait to spend time with. A good magazine and a warm cup of tea (it's cold and foggy)= a nice relaxing time. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh
Amanda
http://theheadlettuce.blogspot.com

theheadlettuce.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  2:40:43 PM  Show Profile
I was inspired also by Victoria magazine many moons ago! "Victoria" inspired me to decorate as I do to this day (with a little help from my Mother and dear Grandmother)! It's such a beautiful magazine to kick your feet up with! Ahhhhh! Can't wait to see it again! Thanks!

"A House Is A Home Where Love Dwells"
Go to Top of Page

emma.birdwhistle
True Blue Farmgirl

187 Posts

Elizabeth Ann
Ontario
Canada
187 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  3:05:30 PM  Show Profile
Really? That's wonderful! I'll have to go and tell my mother the good news. Victoria was our favorite magazine for years, and we still have piles of old issues under the guestroom bed that we like to take out and enjoy every so often. Hopefully this new incarnation of the magazine will have the same wonderful look and feel as the original. Thanks for letting us know, Patsy!

- Elizabeth Ann

If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. - Thoreau

http://resolutelyoutmoded.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  3:19:48 PM  Show Profile
Lindy, I had a subscription to Tea Time & Red Hat Society(now out of print) but both were filled with way to many ad's so I didn't re-new Tea Time. I RHS went out of print.
I am avid tea party lover & look for excuse to bring out my collection of cups & sucers,,,I keep a few hand just forme when I am having "one of those days" where I need to return to a simpler mind and listen to my Josh Grobin CD......hmm, that gives me an idea, time for tea!
<><

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

Krisathome
True Blue Farmgirl

90 Posts

Kristin
Iowa
USA
90 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  5:53:02 PM  Show Profile
This is wonderful news. I still miss Victoria mag. I have several of their books but I loved the magazine best.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  6:01:00 PM  Show Profile
Add me to the list of people with a stash! I'll be anxiously awaiting it's arrival on the shelves...

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  7:05:04 PM  Show Profile
Heather, I have alot of old issues, I will look for the issue w/ the recipe in it.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  7:25:30 PM  Show Profile
I remember my mom used to get this magazine. Pretty cool that they are bringing it back.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  8:28:17 PM  Show Profile
My favorite aunt used to get Victoria and I remember reading it in her home as a child. I have about 50 of her old copies. The only November issues I have are from 1991 and 1992. I looked for the roast turkey and the pumpkin soup recipe, but they must be from a different year.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl

Edited by - Sarah Blue on Apr 29 2007 8:28:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  11:11:40 PM  Show Profile
it was a lovely magazine .. glad to hear it is returning (although the 'primitive' and country farm type ones are still my favs). xo

True Friends, Frannie

CABIN CREEK FARM
KENTUCKY

Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  05:12:54 AM  Show Profile
Ladies will you check your back issue for the poopy seed cake recipe for me also please my mom would love it!

Mandi

" Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler " -Henry David Thoreau
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4740 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4740 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  06:14:09 AM  Show Profile
I'm so glad to hear Victoria is coming back! I loved that magazine and it's recipes. Thanks for the good news!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  06:40:08 AM  Show Profile
That would be POPPYSEED Cake not POOPYSEED, but I bet that got your attention!!LOLI need to get away from changing diapers and potty training!

Mandi

Edited by - threebusybees on Apr 30 2007 06:41:08 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Victoria magazine is coming back Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page