Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Identifying wildflowers / native plants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Identifying wildflowers / native plants Next Topic
Page: of 3

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  3:48:19 PM  Show Profile
:) Thanks Alee, that makes me smile. I'm here any time. :)

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

TElliott
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Terisa
Lebanon Oregon
USA
14 Posts

Posted - May 02 2007 :  10:20:13 PM  Show Profile  Click to see TElliott's MSN Messenger address  Send TElliott a Yahoo! Message
Oh do be careful what weeds you get rid of! My teacher in wild-crafting was very convinced that sometimes in nature, the very thing we need the most is the thing we can't seem to get rid of! Those dandelions, or the burdock, or stinging nettle - all are very useful and nutritious. They are quite good for our bodies if we just know how to use them.

And I also love to explore the plantlife near me. I took all my herbal wild-crafting courses in Vermont and the east coast has very differnt plants that are native and abundant than here. It's a great way to get a good hike/walk in, enjoy the fresh air, and appreciate the things nature gives us without us even trying!

Terisa~
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  06:56:53 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Terisa for the caution on "weeds". That is another reason why I'm so interested in identifying and learning what I've got out there. I'm only targeting the invasive, absolutely naughty weeds for extermination/control. I met last year with a weed expert, and have color photos and our local hit list of -actually illegal- weeds that we must kill due to their danger to livestock/crops/native wild species. I agree with you, there are people who label all unknown plants as weeds, and then exterminate them. I'm working to prevent that.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 03 2007 :  12:20:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree that most "weeds" are not weeds at all. However, while I have a world record setting crop of dandelions in my yard- I don't think I would dare eat them. There are way to many neighborhood animals that come to my yard to do their business. It is kind of neat that there are no fences for about a block all around so our backyards are more like a tiny park, but kind of aggravating when you what an area to stay "clean".

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Pammy
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Michigan
USA
66 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  03:58:39 AM  Show Profile
I love to go out to our woods and look at the different flowers and things and then I get out my North American wildflower book to find out what they are. Haven't did that in a while, I probably should! Pam
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  08:42:00 AM  Show Profile
It's a wonderful time of year to start up again, Pam! I hope you have a happy "hunting" trip. I'm headed out again this afternoon for another ID trip.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on May 06 2007 11:31:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  5:16:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

Past by your town again today. Had to take my mother in-law to be back to the Airport in Spokane. It was sad to see her go so soon and again I wished I could have stopped- but no time today! I hope you found lots of great plant life today!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

PocketFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

119 Posts

Sarah
Utica New York
119 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  6:55:02 PM  Show Profile
I do this. (Actually, I'm just starting, as things are just leafing out here and it's my first spring on our land.) So far the wierdest thing is that there's a white trillium growing right up by the house in a flowerbed, but none in the woods. I'm going to look up how and when to move it, and how to get them to spread.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 05 2007 :  7:47:45 PM  Show Profile
Oh, Alee! I'm so glad you think of me when you pass by. Picture me waving, okay. And yes, I did find more flowering treasures today. I'll edit my first entry with them. I just learned that no one has ever used it for pasturing animals...no wonder there is such diversity.

Sarah, how much fun to find a trilluim right there! I went to check on the spot I saw one, and I must have been dreaming because I couldn't find it today. Aren't they so woodsy and lovely?

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

YiberryYadeeKarin
True Blue Farmgirl

343 Posts

Karin
Spokane Valley WA
USA
343 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  11:54:07 AM  Show Profile
Alee and Michelle,

I just wanted you both to know how wonderful and refreshing it is to know you two and how interested you are in the Palouse and how much you appreciate it! Way too many people see it as boring (like the Columbia Basin and the Channeled Scablands which, if you learn more about them, are pretty neat and special places!) and a place to get through on their way to somewhere else.

I love the textures and colors of the Palouse hills. And the patches of forest and the fingers of trees that go down ravines. And special places like Kamiak Butte! That is one of my very, very favorite places in the world! I have found if I want a scenic and peaceful road trip that instead of heading to the forests, which have too many visitors these days, if I head out on a farm road in the Palouse, I feel so content... Sigh.

It's nice to know some kindred souls (as many of you are on this website)! Karin
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  2:04:53 PM  Show Profile
If you really want to make wildflower identification much easier it pays to buy a wildflower book for your region. On the Palouse and scablands --earlier this spring we took a trip in the sablands area. Driving through it seemed rather stark but we got out to hike to the top of one of the outcroppings and the floor was covered with shooting stars and other flowers. Quite spectacular. We are going on Maryjane's ecology field trip in June--can't wait. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  2:59:33 PM  Show Profile
Hug the Palouse! Yes, I'm signed up for the ecology trip in June. It will be interesting. I've noticed that even within a small acreage out here there are zones with different wild plants. I do like my Peterson Field guide to Pacific States Wildflowers, got it at a used book store. Guess someone planned to move away...

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  6:37:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi ladies!

Karin- I know exactly what you mean. I think there is beauty to be found in all areas. I grew up in Wyoming surrounded by "the bad lands". Most of the year this area is only inhabited by oil field workers, antelope and sage brush. In the spring though it blooms and greens up for about a month. It is amazing to drive through and see the beautiful colored rocks and dirt sprouting green. Not to mention the flowers and such that grow even through the harshest summer.

I too am going on the Ecology Hike! I am so excited to meet you other farmgirls! How fun!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 06 2007 :  11:28:37 PM  Show Profile
Please forgive my rampant editing on this thread. I've decided I need to get some expert input. There are so many species with just a slight variation. I've started cataloguing by photo, and I'm hoping to pick Rich Old's brain on the ecology trip. Also, I noticed there is a talk about Palouse Habitat coming up at WSU May 10 at 7pm. Sounds really worthwhile.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on May 07 2007 06:57:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  4:05:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

Can you post a link to info about that talk? I would love to go. Perhaps we can meet up.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  4:29:13 PM  Show Profile
Yep, here's the website: palouseprairie.org
It would be fun to meet up there. The more I find out, the more I realize I need to know more.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  5:40:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You are talking about the one at the Public library?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 07 2007 :  8:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Oh, yes. I just double checked...had my facts mixed up. Here's the excerpt from www.palouseprairie.org:
"The May Palouse Prairie Foundation meeting will be a presentation, "Linking social and biophysical conservation perspectives in an endangered ecosystem: the Palouse as a model," by UI students Chris Looney, Shannon Donovan, Yaniria Sanchez de Leon, and Thor Hanson, at 7pm Thursday May 10 at Neill Public Library Edith Hecht Reading Room, 210 N. Grand Ave, Pullman WA. Attendees should enter through the door on the east side of the building, near the parking lot."

Guess I got students and location mixed up.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  12:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle-

Nora and I will try to make it!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  3:21:56 PM  Show Profile
Fantastic! DH and I will be there.

I finally solved my panic issue. For a moment I thought I had a rare plant...but it was just my inability to properly identify something. Two days of image searching helped me finally rule out that possibility. Kind of sad, how finding something rare (or thinking you did) can put your dreams into a tailspin. I imagined myself secretly scattering seed somewhere else for someone else to "discover" on state land. No need. Whew! Yay! I did find a bit of ground that was used to pasture livestock, so if/when we get critters, we can put them there and still protect our wild spaces. I've earned myself "hand-spray duty" for the afternoon/summer. So, I'm off to do weed patrol, since I'm the one who has been so busily getting to know the local flora. Maybe one day dalmation toadflax will need a wildlife preserve. Until then, my theme song is the one from "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". Whew-whe-whew-we-who...wa.wa.wa
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  6:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
LOL Michele! You are too funny! I spent an hour weeding my tiny garden and thinking "these plants will never EVER need to be preserved- they are so good at it themselves!" Where do you get all your plant identification materials? Any good websites?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - May 08 2007 :  9:42:03 PM  Show Profile
LOL! I SO had a day of "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, too!!!" It's true - there are many things that need to be done that just almost *deserve* to have that song playing in the background...

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  5:08:11 PM  Show Profile
I have found some good websites to help corroborate/refute initial identification with my book "in the field". It really helps to use more than one source to make a positive ID. Of course, if you have a local expert handy, that's nice too, but my local expert (DH) calls them all bushes, weeds, or flowers. ;)

//plants.usda.gov/ has great lists by state
//www.nativeplantnetwork.org lists wild plants by scientific name and has great information on means of propagation.

Once you've got a scientific name, image searches really help to.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

highlandgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Cheryl
Colfax, WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  8:45:02 PM  Show Profile
One place I've found helpful in identifying those mystery plants is the DOE guide to noxious weeds. They have really great pictures and descriptions of a lot of the plants that grow along roads and in those corners where we don't mow.

I especially like this time of year for identifying plants because everything is fresh and blooming. We have an old homestead and I am still finding things that were planted here a long time ago.

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 09 2007 :  8:46:58 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the links Michelle. Looks like I have Bindweed in my yard. I think I have wild rhubarb trying to take over as well.

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Identifying wildflowers / native plants Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page