Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  06:49:51 AM  Show Profile
I would just love to see a section about a "typical" (is there such a thing?!?!?) day in the life of a farmgirl - solving problems as they come up - recipes for meals - hanging out the laundry - caring for children - taking care of the animals -- just a sort of day that we could "live" while reading it that would give us some ideas for our own lives.....

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  07:14:47 AM  Show Profile
I'd love it too!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  12:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds like a good idea Libbie! There is so much to do on a farm or a ranch, and a true blue Farmgirl is such an integral part of a smoothly running farm. Are you going to write a “Day in the life of” submission for us all to read? Maybe we should all write a "Day in the life of"- it could be fun to read what a city farmgirl does versus a farm farmgirl!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  12:08:21 PM  Show Profile
I also think it sounds like a great idea!!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:19:24 PM  Show Profile
That WOULD be fun to see what we each do during a typical day -- let me see if I can think of what that would be for me...

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 31 2007 :  9:14:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hey Libbie! I would love to read "A Day in the Life of Libbie"! Are you going to post one to the forum do you think?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Harmony
Farmgirl in Training

25 Posts

USA
25 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2007 :  4:14:57 PM  Show Profile
That's a great idea!

"Have a belief in yourself bigger than anyone's disbelief." -- August Wilson
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  5:26:16 PM  Show Profile
I love that idea and so do alot of other people, that's why there are so many popular blogs.
My day consists of milking the goats after coffee and Bible reading, then straiing the milk and feeding my kefir grains. The children are allup doing chores, which consist of indoor, and outdoor stuff. The animals eat before the people! (or else they wouldn't eat...boys!)
After breakfast and clean-up we get busy with homeschool assignments and always inbetween there is: kittens being born...or the goats are loose in the neighbor's pasture- and he just cut his hay! Or...who left the gate open?! Grrr...the horses are in my garden! OR the neighbor calls to say the horses got loose and are in their garden ")

It's never boring, and it's similar to alot of your lives. That's why I like to read "A Day in the Life..." stories from other farm ladies.

www.homesteadblogger.com/TheQueenofQuiteAlot/
www.freewebs.com/muckbootsnaprons/
www.freewebs.com/dailywalkinfarm/
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  7:08:45 PM  Show Profile
Sooooo... I almost forgot about this. A "typical" (as typical can get with two little boys) day for me begins when one of the two little ones comes to get me or calls out that they want me - I tuck them in bed with me for a while until the other gets up. I LOVE this time with them! Then we get dressed, do animal stuff, set water if it's summer and come inside for breakfast. After that, we head outside for work/play until lunch, then it's back inside, eating and the little one goes down for his nap and the older one can go outside to play or take a break inside - he almost always heads outside! After that its one thing or another...sheep...boys...cow...chickens...dog...cat...you-name-it! Then dinner and easing toward bed for the little ones... then... relax or hurriedly get things done, depending on how wild the day was!

Anyone else care to share their day?

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  05:04:14 AM  Show Profile
Okay here goes, yesterday I started my day by: washing 2 loads of clothes, hung them out,did dishes, the fog moved in,weeded a little in a flower bed, cleaned up Summer's milking area and got things staightend up, unloaded a spreader load of sawdust and shavings, cleaned the chicken coop, spread manure, pulled out the feeder wagon, took clothes down ( never did dry ) the sun never came out like it was supposed to, sat down for a bit ate a late lunch, worked at cleaning a bit of wool, and that was about it. Went to town, and got disgusted with prices, and came home with only basics. Which means basicly nothing to eat. Need to spend today cooking and baking. So that was my day on Thursday. Just glad I got a few things done.
Michele
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  07:37:51 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Lets see here,

I either wake up when I hear Nora "talking" to herself in the crib, the dog is saying she needs to go outside, or (and this is rare) because my body decides it it is time! :D

Then I let the dog out, take care of Nora and I usually log on to chat with you ladies.

I usually work on laundry and dishes throughout the day, during spring and early summer I run out and check on seedlings and pull baby weeds, in the summer I make sure my garden has water and pull adult weeds, and in the fall I harvest and sigh when I notice that I can't see my garden for the weeds.

Lately I have been listening to books on audiotape as I go through my day. I think it is more productive than having the TV on. The audiotape is portable- the TV is not. So I am more likely to take the book into the kitchen and listen while I am doing dishes as opposed to watching TV. Plus I am getting sick of the TV.

Then slowly evening slips up on us and I start deciding what to fix for dinner. I like to have something hot for Doug when he comes home. He works in a meat locker all day so he is usually chilled to the bone by the time he gets home.

We enjoy a family evening. Doug likes to play with Nora and Nora entertains us.

I usually give Nora a bath, then I get her dressed and she eats one last time and drifts off to baby dreamland. I then usually am pretty zonked and head to bed.

Our days aren't to exciting but it is so much fun to play with Nora and work on teaching her new things! Yesterday we worked on sitting up like a big girl and she has already gotten so much better at it! We are also exploring the wonderful world of cherrios, which is making the dog happy!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Sep 21 2007 :  3:28:30 PM  Show Profile
Alee, I like your day. I remember those days well. Where does the time get to! Now my babies are in their last years of high school, one out. So on Friday nights we head out to football games. Life goes by so quickly, we got to remember to enjoy those little things!!

Michele
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  2:20:53 PM  Show Profile
Isn't that the truth?!?! There is so much beauty in the regular...the routine. It's all in how you approach life and how you treat the everyday moments that ultimately creates your entire life. Today it's rainy. It just returned from a long day at the farmer's market selling garlic, and the boys are loudly running and crawling after each other all over the place... Ahhh... real life is so ... REAL!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  9:13:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ladies!

Even though we do many of the same things each day, you never live the same day twice and I am already keenly aware of the days ticking by and Nora growing older and becoming a new and different person. In some ways my heart rejoices that she is so full of promise and is so sweet and gentle, and in some ways my heart breaks because I already miss some of the days that are past that will never come again. So I try to take it all in stride and not mourn too much for days gone past and try not to push too hard for the future! :D

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Carol Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

4033 Posts

Carol Sue
Washingtonian
USA
4033 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  01:55:10 AM  Show Profile
Alee, good for you, learning to enjoy the moments.
My days are rather off key right now. Ya ready for this.
Woke up at 11:30am, took a shower cause the wild hair just could not be tamed. It is short and I looked like a rooster....LOL
Dressed and eating crackers cause gotta take that awful tasting prednisone. It is helping a little, so we do what we must. Phone call and get to go play with another farmgirl for a little. Eat more crackers and take a pain killer. Then it is off to the Buggy Barn so show a favorite farmgirl around, and oggle and dream. Then off to Ben Franklins to pick up some muslim. Home again and pooped, but it was fun. Farmgirls chatting and using the light box to trace some Christmas embrodieries, and off she went home, with a smile on her face and mine. Then ate some dinner and fell asleep for 3 hours, up at 10pm, laughing at myself, and going okay a day in the life of this silly girl.
So off to the emails and forum and playing on the farm, eating some tuna crackers. And plotting my next adventure.....
My 2 small doggies sleeping on my feet, and yes, you guessed it snoring, dh been in bed for quite a while.....someday I will be bed....lol
And there is a crazy day in the life right now....

Enjoying life.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9354 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9354 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  10:08:42 AM  Show Profile
My days have changed a bit since our eldest and her family have moved back. I get to enjoy my two grandbabies. Of course not all the time because this grandma has some back trouble so no lifting to much baby. But sitting and rocking is fine with me. My most favorite time of the day is the early morning. Get husband off to work, straighten things up a bit, bible reading and by then I usually hear the pitter patter of little feet coming in my back door and a sweet voice calling "mimi".
Then we visit a bit, get some chores done, maybe zip out to do some errands and come back to lunch and maybe some sort of stitching. My days differ depending on what chores get done that day.
There are the wonderful memories of when my children were little but now that they are all grown the memories come back in the form of grandchildren and they usually do something to remind of when their mom was little.
Being a grandma is one of the best things there are in this life. It's all in the small moments.
Sorry I rambled on so long.
Thanks for a peek into your days girls.

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

therealshari
True Blue Farmgirl

235 Posts

Shari
Beryl UT
USA
235 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2007 :  10:51:03 AM  Show Profile  Send therealshari a Yahoo! Message
Here was our "somewhat average" Saturday... the big difference was the 1.25 inches of rain we got.

Mom was u first to let the five dogs out. She also went out to open the chicken house, but was unable to get it done as I had closed it really tight in advance of last night's storm. Cindy took care of it after she got up.

Bev was second to get up. You see, the three of us share one bathroom, except for when we all have to be somewhere at the same time. Then Mom invites us to share her bathroom.

Cindy was up shortly after Bev, although she'd been laying in bed playing with the dogs who had hurried back into the house. Her breakfast request... fresh fried eggs, hashbrowns bacon, and toast.

I was the last up (typical) and reminded Mom I hadn't heard the coffee. We have one pot of fresh ground beans (Creme Brulee right now) each morning. Since it wasn't quite raining yet, we all dashed out to feed the animals.

Bev and Cindy took care of the three horses, while I feed the sheep and then joined them to make sure we had any "water collecting barrels with boards or tools" tipped over and secured against the wind.

Then it was on to feed and water the chickens. No eggs... we'll check that later.

Back inside for a leisurely breakfast before settling down for a rainy day.

Bev and Mom set up a folding table and started a jigsaw puzzle, while Cindy and I each retired to the computers. Mom fired up the bread maker... first time since last winter.

There was a watermelon taking up space in the fridge, so lunch was fresh hot bread and watermelon.

About 2pm the rain let up enough to collect the eggs... That's Mom's job. She got four today.

At 4pm, the sun came out, and we had plenty of work to do. Dusty's pen (the gelding) was flooded, and the two fillies were walking in mud above their hooves. We had been working on a new stable with stalls for the two girls, and that included an enlarged corral.

After locking Dusty into his stall, we removed the big 10 ft gate, and fencing around the adjacent side of the existing corral. We re-stretched the fencing and nailed/stapled it all to the new posts, as well as the top rails. We reinstalled the gate and re-strung the electric fence.

By then it was getting late... somewhere around sunset.

A couple of Mexican guys showed up to talk about buying our two market lambs. They also wanted to see the horses and marveled at the work we gals had done on our stables, stalls, and corrals. Their offer on the lambs was too low, so they went away empty-handed. I believe they'll be back with a better offer.

In the past they've bought two other lambs and four chickens from us... the one guy just didn't have enough money to make the deal at the moment. I've got their phone number and have promised to call them if we don't sell the lambs this week. Bev's going to post them on a talk radio ad.

It was dark when we came in for dinner. Typical of Saturday night, we had really good hotdogs, some home-pickled beets, and whatever we could find for dessert.

Bed time came shortly after 9:30.

So there you have it... our somewhat average Saturday.

Shari Thomas
farmer, web copywriter, blogger
Shari's Gone Country
Vote for me at "Blog for a year"
Go to Top of Page

sissysquilts
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

sissy
wa
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Jan 05 2008 :  7:04:06 PM  Show Profile
This would be great! I'd also LOVE a PayDirt Farm School for Farmgirls on the ART of farm homemaking as MJ speaks of in her books :) Everything our grandmothers taught us and we've forgotten (or never got a chance to learn) along with all the unexpected things can only come up in daily life on the farm *~*

"The good stars met in your horoscope. Made you of spirit,fire and dew"
Robert Browning
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - May 08 2008 :  08:30:03 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Libby,
I love this thread... I write a little farmers market column for our local paper... and through that I have a date to go talk with 2 ladies ( now in their 80's) who I knew growing up. that were a part of a "homemakers" group in Grant county... they are the only 2 original members left.. and I think they started back in thier early 20's as young farm wives... but I cannot wait, as I know they both use to cook for the wheat harvest crews as well as cowgirl ( branding and the whole 9)... I will report back.... In the days of Microwaves and minute rice.. I dont know that we really "KNOW" what it was to start cooking for the lunch crew even before breakfast dishes were done..........I will report back.....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185

" Plant goodness, harvest the fruit of loyalty, plow the new ground of knowledge. Hosea 10:12
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic A Day in the Life... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page