Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic animal routines Next Topic  

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  7:00:33 PM  Show Profile
As I'm sitting here my "grandcat" ,Seabiscuit is in my lap, on tne keyboard, rubbing, my hands and generally trying to distract me. It's 9:50 EST and He wants to go to bed. At 1000 each night I put him in the basement. As I said he knows when it's time and enjoys going down to HIS kingdom. You see our other cat ,Polly, is Queen of the house and she rules the upstairs. Seabiscuit has to abide by her rules upstairs.
This going down @ night got started because Polly has special food. So I put him down to eat and go to bed and then I feed her.

So how many of you have animals with distinct routines?
Now he's climbing on my back, rubbing my face...gotta go he's driving me crazy!!!

Too blessed to be stressed!

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  7:33:25 PM  Show Profile
Our two oldest dogs are sisters, over 14 years old. Majerle can no longer jump on the bed and so we have a nightly routine. I go to bed, and Majerle follows a few minutes later. She comes around to my side of the bed, where I have a box with a pillow on top so she can crawl up on her own. Majerle will get up on the bed and, wagging her tail, sniff my face, then walk around the foot of the bed and back up to my other side, where she sniffs my face again before curling up next to me. She doesn't always follow me immediately; sometimes she stays up with hubby and keeps him company.

Now, I usually sleep right on the edge of the bed but Majerle can't come up when I'm there so I roll over to give her room. Hubby gets a kick out of it because I even do it in my sleep when I hear her on my side of the bed. And even when I'm asleep Majerle will check my face before curling up and going to sleep.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  9:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
My dog thinks she should go outside after every time I go to the restroom. This is usually just something that is cute and kind of quirky- but it was not so much fun when I was pregnant!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  07:26:26 AM  Show Profile
Oh gosh, routines go hand in hand with horses! They all know where their stalls are, and for the most part will file in easily. Only the youngsters get a silly wild hair going. I've heard them bang the stock tank if I take too long. I like to warm them up the same way each ride, so they know what to expect. Any changes in them tells me where they're sore or what problems they're having.

My barn cats know the routines, too. When I cross the yard to feed the horses, they're ready and waiting. At other times of the day they can rarely be found.

The dog comes downstairs with me, and every morning she expects to have a long petting session while I drink my coffee. That's no trouble; she's delightful, and it's what I want to so.

There are a million little animal routines!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  09:19:27 AM  Show Profile
It seems to me that animals (and children, for that matter!) thrive on routine - everyone around her starts getting fidgety around feeding time and they all know that they get little treats before bed - before sundown. I love it. I think I thrive on routine, too.

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  4:25:26 PM  Show Profile
Alyssa,
Your dog is very smart! The potty routine gave me a big smile.

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  08:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Teddie-

You have no idea! I can't say the B word (bank) or talk about the D P place (Dog Park) or mention any of her friends (Indy, Natasha, Porter) or she thinks she gets to go for a ride. Also if I say we are going to the Bank, and then plans change- she knows! If I miss the turn to go to the bank she starts looking at me weird and then getting all frantic looking back at the turn I should have made. You can just hear her thinking:

"Wait! Wait! Go back! You missed the turn! This isn't the way to the Bank!"

And if I drive by the Dog Park turn and don't turn she does the same thing! When we go to the bank she knows all of the teller's names and will go to the right person if I tell her to "go see" someone.

I love having a smart dog though, she is so much fun.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  09:45:31 AM  Show Profile
My lab Lily knows my morning routine. Clean and tidy the house, the kitchen is last and then comes out the puppy killer (vaccum) at which point she makes a beeline upstairs. When the vaccuming is done, Mom is done her housework and we're going outside!! I can't get changed or even go to the bathroom without her hot on my heels. I also have a plaid jacket that I will put on to go get eggs or open the greenhouses. I can't even sneak that jacket off the hanger without her knowing it and waiting at the door for me.
At night it's the same, the minute I get up and turn on the dishwasher before bed, she heads in and lays at the bottom of my bed waiting for me.
Dogs are so great...I can't imagine life without one.
Di
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  1:21:43 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
We lived for about a year without a dog. Fiance said he as so glad when we got Sky because I had been depressed for the whole year. I knew I was unhappy without a dog, but I hadn't realized that HE had realized it! *lol*

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic animal routines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page