Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Winnie Nielson - Member Spotlight
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winnie Nielson - Member Spotlight Next Topic  

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1032 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1032 Posts

Posted - May 15 2023 :  5:55:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie is our next member to spotlight! Enjoy learning about our dear Winnie! :)

Who is/was the biggest influence in your life? Were you a child or adult when this person impacted your life?
I would say my family was the biggest influence. My parents and all of my siblings added a lot to my experience and they were all very important to me in differently ways.

What is your favorite season? Why?
Fall is definitely my favorite season! I love everything about this welcomed change from Summer; the colors, pumpkins, APPLES, trips to the mountains, and Halloween and Thanksgiving. Of all of the holidays, Halloween is my favorite. I love the fun, the dressing up, the decorations at door fronts, and the general happy and fun vibe of the evening. Thanksgiving was also a wonderful time with a traditional dinner and just a time when family was all together. Plus, I remember enjoying raking leaves and jumping in them later in the afternoons. Halloween and Thanksgiving were two holidays that did not involve a lot of stress. They were always simple and meaningful and a joy.

What is your dream vacation destination? Who would you take with you?
Since retirement, we have enjoyed many trips to Europe which have been a great adventure in learning about other cultures as well as enjoying incredible scenery. Right now, I really don’t have a dream vacation in mind as we prepare to take a long trip to Eastern Europe this coming June. We will start in Romania and travel up through all the countries and end up in Vienna Austria. It will be very exciting and there will be much to learn about this part of the world. My husband and I make a good travel team!

Given the chance, what would you tell your younger self?
Don’t think about what you didn’t get to accomplish but instead think about all the wonderful things you did get to see and do in your life.

Share three things you love about your life.
My home, our two grown girls, and our shared travel experiences.

What is your favorite part of being in the MJF sisterhood?
MJF has always touched a place in my heart because it allowed me to be a Farmgirl at heart even though I have always lived in a city. I have many deep and wonderful memories of my Grandparent’s farm which was purchased in May 1929, and did not change from my memories of the mid 1950s when we spent summers up there with them. Aprons, chickens, wood burning cookstove, Hoosier cabinet, out house, water pump to bring water indoors every day, and hours and hours of simple living and a lifestyle that was so different from my home in Virginia. I loved that farm and still do. MJF was my chance to bring back some of those touches in my modern life. It also gave me a group of new friends who shared similar memories and were cultivating those memories to also be a part of an updated 21st Century era. It inspired me to pull out the old kitchen utensils I inherited from my Mom, a few of her aprons and dishtowels she embroidered, her cast iron cookware, and make them part of my own little “farm” kitchen. Farmhouse Memories finally became real again in my own kitchen.
I doubt that I would have thought to do those changes on my own but MJF encouraged what was always there to come forward and be a part of my own life living. The Chatroom has been so full of ideas, support, exchanges with like minded new friends, and fun. I found my first magazine in Tractor Supply of December 2009. I immediately embraced the fact that MaryJane said Farmgirl was a matter of heart. I had the heart, I just needed the permission of how to make it become part of my life.

How did you come to live in the area you are in?
It is a long story of how I got here, but it started in 1973 and seemed to keep moving from one thing to another. Many times I wanted to go back home to Virginia but life had already changed with marriage and kids so that never happened. I still do not think of Florida as my home. It will always be Charlottesville, Va. I miss the four seasons and especially the Blue Ridge Mountains.

How far from home have you traveled?
Our upcoming trip to Romania June 8th will be our trip farthest from home.

What is your favorite things to grow in a garden? Fruits, Veggies, Flowers?
I don’t garden as I don’t have a green thumb. My husbands grows lots of flowers in large pots that live in both the front and back yard.

What Merit Badges are you currently working on? What has been your favorite badge earned to date?
I am not currently working on any badges. My last two were done in July 2020: 1. Trees 2. Weather

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9485 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9485 Posts

Posted - May 16 2023 :  03:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Karen for our spotlight on Winnie!

Winnie thank you so much for sharing with us. This is so much fun learning somethings we did not know. I loved reading the part about your grandparents farm.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

AussieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

53 Posts

Cindy
Bend Oregon
USA
53 Posts

Posted - May 16 2023 :  3:30:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So nice to learn a bit more about you, Winnie. My very first farmgirl mail came from Winnie back in 2014 when I became a new member. I was so grateful for your kind note and have continued to be showered with farmgirl kindness and generosity since that time. So glad that you're part of this Sisterhood!! Have a wonderful time traveling throughout Eastern Europe!!

Farmgirl #6058
Farmgirl Sister of the Year 2021

"The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have".
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Winnie Nielson - Member Spotlight Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page