nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1350 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1350 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2023 :  6:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grab a cuppa your favorite beverage, here's another story for you :)

Every night on my way in from evening chores I say a little prayer asking God to place his protective hands around my farm and keep everyone safe and healthy. Sometimes I also ask for warmth (in the winter storms) or cool (in the summer heat). As you may have read under the wonky weather thread April started with a storm! We went to bed Friday night about 11pm as usual. It was windy but many times that's the case. A little after 1 am I woke up to quite the racket. Me sitting up woke up my husband and he jumps up faster than I do LOL! "Is that a tornado?" He asks. "I don't know but it's something!" is my reply. As we're changing into our jeans I notice the answering machine has 2 messages. It's my father in law "there's a tornado warning! I sure wish you'd pick up the phone!" The second one "it's in Kossuth you really need to pick up the phone!" The phone rings "It's in Buckland!" Nathan replies "we're on our way!"

You know how in movies it's almost impossible for the actor to open the door? Turns out that's pretty realistic! Nathan was leaning into the screen door and it was rattling back and forth and I wasn't sure if it was going to bend shut or fly off open. We sprinted across the yard (my in laws have a basement, we don't - we have a very old house that I don't trust to stay up!) We hunker down in the basement for a bit until we can hear the storm letting up. We turn on the tv and listen to the report of the "possible tornado" and we're now in the clear but the reporter keeps emphasizing that even if you're not in the path of the possible tornado this is very severe thunderstorm with 80-90 mile an hour winds. A little bit later it's settled down enough we can safely go check out the farm.

The cows and calves are nervous, but everyone is safe and secure. We call and check on some friends and relatives. They're all safe as well. It's almost 3am so we try to go back to bed. Doesn't work very well after your adrenaline was pumping!

The next morning we start to notice things. The neighbors camper is flipped over. Another neighbors silo roof is all crinkled and falling in. Another one's machine shop is half gone and the other half is being held up by his planter and combine. The electric poles along the railroad tracts at the back of our property are not right - 2 of them are broke and 3 more are bent! (I didn't know they could bend like that). The destruction around us is incredible! There are so many trees uprooted, campers and trailers overturned, so many barns damage or completely destroyed, bark is stripped off trees in the woods.

The national weather service investigated and said there was a tornado but it was at least 10 miles away from us!!! The other side of Wapakoneta was hit. There was a commercial greenhouse that grew tomatoes and strawberries with hydroponics. It's now flattened. A factory, truck stop, and campground were severely damaged along with many, many barns. It was on the ground for 17 miles I think the report said.

There are 2 really amazing things that I am so, so grateful for. There were 7 injuries reported from people inside their campers when they flipped at the campground and 0 fatalities reported. The other thing that I am in awe over is that the only damage we had is a big branch from a tree fell on our fence, my in laws lost some shingles from their porch roof, and Nathan's leg was not ready for a sprint so he's had a bit of a set back. We cover our hay and straw with tarps - they're still here!! I'm not sure how. All I know is God really did have his protective hands around our farm! And honestly our entire area. There's a lot of destruction, but nothing that can't be rebuilt. No lives were lost and I only know of 1 house that was severely damaged (besides needing roof work). I just pray that tomorrow is not as bad. The forecast is the same as the last storm.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4098 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4098 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2023 :  7:19:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Heather I am sure very happy y’all are okay. You are all good people and y’all were truly, truly blessed. Thank you for letting us know y’all are alright. I will keep all of you in my heart, thoughts and prayers that all will be alright tonight as well. Stay safe my friend!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1063 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1063 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2023 :  7:39:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather, praises to God for keeping you and your family and friends safe. I’m so happy to hear that damage to your farm was minimal too. It has to be absolutely terrifying to experience something like that. I will add your family, friends, and town to my prayers. Hugs to you, my friend. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2023 :  7:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather, I agree with everything that Karen just said. I’ll keep you in my prayers and that the rest of the storms will blow over and not cause any damage.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9538 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9538 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  02:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather,
Thankful that God kept you safe. I was thinking of you and wondering if you were having any of those storms. We were under a tornado watch then. Having storms like this is definitely new to me and I pray a lot when these storms come up. I woke JT up when the winds get so bad. Thankfully we only had limbs down and Saturday was sunny but super windy.
I am thankful everyday for God's protection. Prayingfor Nathan to recover soon.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 05 2023 03:44:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  02:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad you guys made it through alright. Sounds like what went through a shade north of us. Many of my coworkers had similar stories. Scary stuff! I am also hoping today is not as rough as they are predicting. We must be in roughly the same weather path!

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

813 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
813 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  05:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness Heather! So very thankful y’all are ok. Love and prayers for calmer weather.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Wanda Sue
Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month-August 2022
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

171 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
171 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  2:07:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather! Oh my gosh that is terrifying! I am so so sorry you had to experience that, but I am so glad that you and your family and your farm are all ok. Is the next storm just as bad? Please be safe my friend!

Krista
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1350 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1350 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  6:34:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

By the time I ran to the house, got my boots off, grabbed my camera, put my boots back on, and ran back outside I missed most of it but I was lucky enough to get a little bit of it for you to see how this crazy weather ended today. I think everyone was a bit on edge - they cancelled school today due to possible severe weather. They've never done that before! It was super windy and we had a couple thunderstorms roll through then some regular rain but nothing severe today. The forecast is clear for the next week :)

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  6:36:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful! Prayers answered:)

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1063 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1063 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2023 :  6:48:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gorgeous picture, Heather! Even in storms, God is so good.

Hannah and Denise, so glad you are both safe too. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2023 :  03:44:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So pretty!

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4098 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4098 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2023 :  07:55:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing photo Heather. Just so happy everyone is alright.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

813 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
813 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2023 :  08:28:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don’t think I have ever seen such vibrant colors in a rainbow before!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Wanda Sue
Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month-August 2022
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2023 :  6:14:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beautiful rainbow - beautiful promise. So happy you and your home are all safe. XO

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2023 :  6:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Heather, I got so choked up reading this! I'd been watching and hearing so many bad reports and nervous about it heading our way again. Lots of terrible news from north Alabama for sure. I'm so sorry for the many hurt and for the devastation but ever so grateful to God for watching over your farm and family!! Thank You Lord!! The rainbow, a promise from God. I heard today from Pastor Lomacang "that clouds aren't always a negative thing. The very presence of God was in the clouds, guiding the children of Isreal, in the Holy Temple, covering Jesus as He was on the cross and when He returns, it will be on the cloud.So without clouds the rainbow couldn't appear, without the rainbow the covenant of God's promise wouldn't be. So, if there are clouds in our lives, God is closer to us than we can ever imagine". I believe this!! So much for us to be thankful for!!

Happy blessed Easter to you and your family! Oh, and your pillow is being mailed Monday:)

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2023 :  7:19:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dianna, that was really beautiful!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4098 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4098 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2023 :  10:58:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing and Beautiful! Thank you Dianna.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Counting my Blessings! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page