nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1349 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  1:00:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most of you know I LOVE to read. I always imagine myself to be the strong, brave, sassy heroine type. And that if I was to find myself in a situation as those amazing ladies do in the books I'd be just as awesome as they are. You know that type - fill the rifles with gun powder and bullets while in the wagon train circle just to find you have to shoot the gun because your man is injured, or you go to battle because there is no way you're hiding in the castle while your fellow clan people (and your man) fight for you, etc.

As you know Nathan is injured. I can easily take care of the farm work. It just takes longer and I may get a wee bit grumpy when I'm tired and hungry (every heroine has her faults right?) I can milk the cows, drive the skidloader to clean out the barn and feed hay. I can even pull calves and treat cows by myself if I need to. But this morning Nathan asked me "are you prepared to climb the bin and open the lid? Feed is coming today." Turns out my inner heroine says some really bad words that cannot be repeated!!! The problem is I am TERRIFIED of heights. And the bin is REALLY tall!!!! There is no way I was letting him chance climbing that bin! And there is also no way I was asking my father in law to climb the bin for me (another fault of my inner heroine LOL). So I spent all milking giving myself a pep talk. I said a prayer asking for a safe trip up the bin and that I don't crap my pants in the process. I may have made a couple trips to the house to use the bathroom (a problem I have when I'm really nervous.) And by the time milking was done I was so nervous I thought I might throw up! But I knew that I needed to get up there before the feed guy showed up or Nathan came out. I do best when no one is watching me freak out! So I marched over to the bin, told myself I can do this and started up the ladder. About half way up I wasn't so sure I could do this!!! But I made it!!!!! The stupid lid is bent and sticks closed and doesn't stay open unless you put this little block of wood in it just right (and no one told me that!) but there was no way I was going down to ask what to do then climb back up! NO WAY!! So I figured it out like a true heroine would do and hightailed it down the bin. When I got down I promptly marched to the house to show Nathan how bad I was shaking and proudly told him the lid was open LOL! (He isn't afraid at all so he couldn't believe how bad it was for me.)

Lessons I learned from this:
1. God is good and answered my prayers - I didn't need to change my pants.
2. Being a kicka$$ heroine is TERRIFYING!!
and
3. I am not responsible for the words that slip out when I'm back up the bid closing the lid and my husband hollers up "how full is it? I ordered extra this time and need to know how much room is left"

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1349 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  1:03:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dragon:

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  1:10:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh, Heather!!! This totally made my day….week, even!!! I’ve said you are one of the toughest, bravest and coolest girls that I know and this is just more proof! I am so proud of you for facing that climb! I hope you won’t have to do a repeat anytime soon ;)
You are definitely a dragon slayer….how are you with killing snakes? Any tips??? ( my big fear)

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

MaryJanesNiece
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Krista
Utah
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  1:14:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather you are amazing! You should feel so proud of yourself. I have a pretty good fear of heights too, so I know exactly how you feel. But you conquered it like a true heroine.

Krista
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

809 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
809 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  1:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather you are so brave and tough and strong, just like the heroines in your novels! Farmgirls can do hard things when the need arises, but I’m not sure I could do all that you do. Thank you so much for sharing the experience with us. You are amazing, and I am sure you are feeling very proud now that it’s done.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Wanda Sue
Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month-August 2022
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4095 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4095 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  2:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh I love you Heather! You are the funniest, bravest and most amazing Wildflower! You had me laughing so hard I thought I would pee my pants. Not at what you had to do but how you told the story. Yes, you made my day, week everything, I too am so proud of you. And darn happy I know you!
Now Heather I know you do not have time but you need to have a journal and write these stories down cause girl you could write a book.! Your spirit is infectious and you need to share your stories with all women any age! Just so funny! Just so you know I will buy your book when you publish it! Heck you and Nathan could retire on the books you would sell.
Thank you again for another fabulous Heather story of farm life!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

GinnyBelle
True Blue Farmgirl

251 Posts

Hannah
West Lafayette IN
USA
251 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  5:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go! That was super brave and your sense of humor is fantastic. Love your stories!

Hannah #6994
February 2023 FGOTM
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2023 :  7:29:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather!!! Way to go girl!!!! I’m so proud of you!! (And I’ll admit…I love that you may curse!!!) Way to face your fears…the tiniest spider will send me fleeing to find a blow touch for my house!

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha

Edited by - Jokamartell on Mar 07 2023 6:26:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Dreamer42
True Blue Farmgirl

202 Posts

April
Central Oregon
USA
202 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  10:37:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to conquer your fears, Heather! So proud of you! God graces us with so much strength when we needed. Way to take care of business and your hubs!

Dreamer42
Farmgirl Sister #7038
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4095 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4095 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  10:47:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perfect April!

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  10:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

JeanP
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jean
Deary ID
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  11:04:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather -- You are an absolutely AWESOME Dragon Bin Slayer. And your story-telling of your experience was a hoot!! Thanks for sharing your scary accomplishment with us.
hugs,
jean

"However difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at."
. . . .Stephen Hawking

"When life gives you junk, make a junk journal."
. . . .jean pici
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4095 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4095 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  11:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a great day Wildflower Dragon Slayer.

Big Hugs,
Debbie

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1349 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  5:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AWWW! I just wanted to share my adventure to make you all chuckle. I never expected such kind words. But I should have know that women as amazing as you all are would have more to say than just "funny story". Thank you all so much.

Debbie K. - snakes..HMMM....well around here 25-30 cats seem to take care of that problem. And what they miss the baler seems to get. In the almost 25 years I've been here I think I've only seen one live snake and it was just for a second as it was slithering away. I have however seen a cat dragging one through the yard and many of them show up in the hay and straw bales. They're kind of scary that way because you don't expect them to be there and when they fall out of the bale you really don't know if they're dead or not. I mean it's possible they slithered up in there right? How about the lawn mower? That seems like a good weapon LOL! Unless they're in your flower bed...Maybe Dianna can shed some light on this one :)

Debbie F.- I used to keep a journal years ago. I keep saying I should start writing some things down again even if I don't write in it everyday. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.
And I love that saying!

Karen - I try not to make a habit of it, but sometimes things just slip out!

April - What a great Pooh picture. That would be great hanging on the wall!

I'm happy to report all was calm today, no dragons spotted :)

~Heather
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1061 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1061 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2023 :  6:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather, I think one dragon every once in awhile is more than enough!! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2023 :  05:47:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way to go Heather! I am with in the heights but they are my third worst fear.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

809 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
809 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2023 :  2:30:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather you are so brave and tough and strong, just like the heroines in your novels! Farmgirls can do hard things when the need arises, but I’m not sure I could do all that you do. Thank you so much for sharing the experience with us. You are amazing, and I am sure you are feeling very proud now that it’s done.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Wanda Sue
Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month-August 2022
Go to Top of Page

suny58
True Blue Farmgirl

257 Posts

Dianna
Jack Al.
USA
257 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2023 :  09:14:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Heather, not only did you make me giggle but a sense of pride swelled up in me for sure! I am thankful your prayers were answered, God is so good! Like Esther facing her fears, you did too and look at you now! I shall make you a super woman cape!! :) Honestly, our bravery only takes you to greater heights (no pun intended)and when you get my age you can look back and say fear didn't own you! What an awesome thing to read. I hate heights too but I also conquered mine via a funny story and the grace of God! Now, I can think of very few fears left in me. A few but very few! You go girl and I pray your angels are always watching over you, keeping you safe and brave! No matter what comes along

Farmgirl #7103
FGOTM January 2018
Dianna
"Blessed are they that see beautiful things in humble places, where other people see nothing." Pissarro
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1349 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1349 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2023 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Dianna!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic I'm a dragon slayer! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page