nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1320 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1320 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2022 :  08:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a couple cast iron skillets that I use on my stove all the time. I received a cast iron dutch oven and a tripod for Christmas. Do any of you have any recipes or favorite campfire meals you throw together for a cast iron dutch oven? Or even a great dessert? I have a feeling once I get started I'll be able to come up with things to make but right now I'm drawing a blank on where to even start with it! I have Mary Jane's cast iron cook book, but there are not any recipes for cooking over a fire in there.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2022 :  6:07:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heather I took a workshop in outdoor cooking several years ago and it was so fun and amazing. I have a cd with the recipes on it, so I will try to dig that out and share with you. They would prepare charcoal briquettes and lay them under and on top of the lid of the Dutch oven. There is a number on the lids and if I remember right that is the number of coals you put on the lid. It depended on the size of the pot. That would be a little different than cooking over a fire, but may give you some ideas.

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Wanda Sue
Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month-August 2022
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1320 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1320 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  7:52:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Wanda! I know a little about using the coals but not much. Last summer our friends had a cookout. They built a new fire pit and had a rack that fits over it for burgers and steaks. I made up a recipe from a couple different ones I found online for an apple cobbler dessert. I put it over to the side of the fire which was just coals at that point. Apparently they were a bit too hot - we had half an apple cobbler and half of a burnt mess that was terrible to clean out of my dutch oven!!!!!! I haven't used it since LOL! I was wanting to try a soup or stew on the tripod this spring but time and the weather have not been on my side.

~Heather
“I would rather be on my farm than be emperor of the world.” — George Washington
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9445 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9445 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2022 :  02:45:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hamburger soup is a great one to do in the dutch oven. There are all kinds of recipes on Pinterest for it and stews too. It's almost like using a slow cooker when using over a fire.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 12 2022 02:46:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

1320 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
1320 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2022 :  1:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely have burger! I'll look into it. Thanks Denise. I get all kinds of craft ideas from pinterest but I never think to look for recipes on there. It's close to milking time so I think I better wait to venture to pinterest land LOL!

~Heather
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic cast iron Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page