Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2022 :  11:54:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided to open up this topic as a space to talk about thoughts and ideas we have been "musing over" in our minds. Maybe it is starting something new , thoughts that have inspired you from a good book, ideas that pop into your head as noteworthy , or anything that you wish to share about a topic or two that has been getting the wheels in your head turning.

I am going to start off by sharing some musings I have had over the past couple of years about what is really essential in a kitchen? There are endless ads about the latest cookware, gadgets, techniques , recipes, and endless opinions about all of it. We have all experienced that drawer of knives, peelers, measuring cups/spoon, some big serving spoon we inherited years ago when we bought a ready made party dish that came complete with serving utensil, and all of that stuff keeps accumulating. Then there are the spices. When did I get this? That bottle of salad dressing . How old is that?? You know what I am talking about. The very idea of answering your own questions about the worth of all of these items is overwhelming.

During the early part of the pandemic, I decided enough was enough and I was going to find answers to my questions and get organized. First I looked up and made recipe size cards about the refrigerator life of opened everything that lives in your fridge. Same for everything in your freezer. I made cards about expiration dates for that too. Then I tackled the spices and created a card for everything I had. These cards now live in the front part of my recipe box. As you can imagine, I had a throwing out party for a lot of stuff and made a list of replacements that I knew I used on a regular basis. Gone were any suspicious anything in my fridge and freezer. Next was the dumping of spices that were so old or only used one time years ago. All of it OUT! Now I date my spices when I open them so I can only keep them for the recommended time. Plus, I did not replace any spices that I do not use on a regular basis.

Next came the issue of kitchen stuff. This topic is still evolving as to what is truly useful and essential. To help me learn more, I read several books on the history of the American kitchen from Colonial time forward and made some notes about what has been essential over the millennia as necessary basics. My old cast iron cookware now reigns as must haves and much other stuff has gone to GoodWill. If anything was broken or useless, it went into the trash. I was amazed at how nice it was to be able to organize what I needed in a manner that was easy to find and everything had a home. Plus everything is in good working condition and knives are sharp.

The kitchen has often been the place where the woman of the house has had the most say-so about what is in it. We are often gifted kitchen goods from family and friends. I have always loved to cook and learn and try new recipes. I am one of those who reads cookbooks for fun!

Speaking of cookbooks, many of mine wandered down to the Friends of the Library for others to snatch up at one of the big sales and enjoy. I kept my favorites that I use all the time which include MaryJane's cookbooks and my Mom's cookbooks that she made from recipes and ideas collected from magazines. I also still have my original gift of the Better Homes& Gardens Cook Book. It is invaluable for all the basics on just about every topic.

I am finding that I cook more efficiently and enjoy the process more. Why? Because I took a long hot pandemic summer to tackle 42 years of marriage and cooking and applied some research time with simple planning and re-organized my kitchen . I also quit watching FoodNetwork channel because I am always tempted with all the latest and cutest kitchen stuff, dishes, glasses and on and on!! LOL!!! I have learned that I am so much happier now with what I have done and it cost me very little. I don't need a $40,000 new kitchen to have things properly set up. I just needed to muse over what I did have and then, inspired by all of the cooks before me , I put some of those old timey ways and ideas into reality. It ended up being simplicity right in front of me the whole time!! Living in the 21st Century has it's perks but it also has helped make kitchen "stuff" seemingly grow out of control like weeds! LOL!!

What have you been musing about lately? What ideas have been churning about in your heard and becoming a plan? We talk a lot about craft rooms. UFO sewing or craft projects, personal libraries...........................

I would love to hear what your new ideas for change. Spring arrives this month and soon it will be the classic "Spring Cleaning" season.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

Edited by - Red Tractor Girl on Mar 01 2022 05:17:38 AM

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6070 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6070 Posts

Posted - Feb 28 2022 :  7:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie you are so organized!
That is wonderful.
Hugs
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2022 :  02:20:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I love that you researched the things that helped you in the organization of your kitchen. I have one drawer that I really need to get realistic about and go through. Having just finished organizing and downsizing from our move "Spring" cleaning will be fairly easy. Mainly washing windows, curtains and quilts. Storing what we won't use during summer. I will also deep clean carpets and that should do it.

My musings have been mostly in the area of simpler living. Since downsizing, I find it is so much quicker to get through my chores and inviting people in does not send me into panic mode as it does not require much preparation. I don't let things get ahead of me because it is very easy to keep up.

I have also had musings of late in the area of crafting. It is the one area I have mostly organized but I need to go through and downsize to what I really want to keep and work on and what I find I have lost interest in and need to let go so I can better organize what is left. Also labeling so I don't have to search through everything to put my hands on what I need at any given time.
I received a gift card for my birthday which I have used for a couple of small things that I need to help me accomplish my goal in this.

Thanks for posting. It really helps to get us to think about things that are important. Doing things in my home to make life simpler gives me more time to spend investing in my family. Children and grandchildren. Church family and others. Encouraging them and being able to make myself available to help them.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 01 2022 02:21:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2022 :  05:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One other thing I have been rolling around in my mind is our flower gardens. We both love flowers and my daughter bought me hyacinths for my birthday that I plan to plant when the flower is done and died back to just the bulb. We have a lot of ornamental plants here and I'd like to have a nice mix of those and flowers. Most of what is in back is around the decking. There are 3 lilac bushes there. They are the kind that grow almost like a hedge bush. I had never seen them before until my daughter looked hers up to find out what it was. Ours were more tall tree like with the hanging ones. I'm going to miss all the blooming things we had in NJ so we want to see what we have here and expand the gardens a bit.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2022 :  05:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, last year I looked up how to save bulb flowers in Florida. I followed the directions and 3 Hyacinth bulbs stayed good over the summer and fall. When I checked then in early February, the 3 showed signs of a live shoot pushing out of the top. So, I planted them in the soil. The stupid squirrels kept digging them up every day ad two of them died. I took the last bulb and replanted it In a pot and it did grow and bloom. The bloom was perfect but there was only one. But at least it worked. I am going to try and purchase some daffodils and tulip bulbs next year in the front yard where we don’t have so many squirrels.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2022 :  08:06:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a lot of squirrels and we've seen a few chipmunks too. We did notice something popping up through the soil yesterday in the front garden. No idea what it is so we will have to wait and see. I think I'd like to get some crocus bulbs for next year.
Have been thinking since I am doing some UFOs I am going to get some of my badges done as well.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2022 :  1:20:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise, what a good idea to use UFOs to get some badges done too! don't you love the term UFOs??? Like some outer space kinda thing?? LOL!!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2022 :  3:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol. I have plenty of them. I was talking to my granddaughter about doing some. I don't know what they have she could do except maybe some of the beginner things.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2022 :  11:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Checking out the flower beds today and we have some things coming up but I haven't been able to definitely identify. I think we will have some daffodils and tulips though. So there may be less to muse over when it comes to the gardens. We have a few really pretty purple/pink plants that attract tiny butterflies and little bitty bees. I looked it up once but can't remember the name now. I'd like to keep them but they are planted right on the edges of the walkway and the grandkids don't like walk past the little bees when they are there. We may have to transplant them. Everyone here seems to have lots of this particular plant.
Anyone else musing over anything in particular these days?? I know there is a lot going on in the world right now that seems to take our attention.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2022 :  11:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had wisteria growing on the Pergola that is on the back deck. We could see it was causing damage to the deck posts and rails from having been there a very long time. As much as we love it we decided to take cut it off. We will make repairs to the deck and then we will plant a few morning glories to cover it for a little shade. Not too many as I know they can get quite heavy. There are lots of hooks in the top of the pergola so I will get hanging baskets to put up there. Privacy is at a minimum as we are surrounded by houses. Though the ones at the back are the backyards of those houses. There are three lilac bushes along one side that will be pretty come spring I'm sure. I guess the outdoor area is what I have been spending time thinking of lately. Waiting to see what is already here and what we want to change up.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 10 2022 11:39:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6070 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6070 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2022 :  11:41:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wisteria is beautiful! There used to be a house here in Loleta that had it hanging on it. They cut it all down. It was sad.
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2022 :  4:08:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love wisteria! I have seen where it gets so heavy that it does damage. But I would still want to have it!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2022 :  4:15:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is beautiful but it has done quite a bit of damage and we'd rather get rid of it and be able to still repair the damage than to have to end up replacing the whole deck and pergola. We don't have the funds for that just to keep it. Also it is possible to grow it and trim it like a tree. So that is an option later.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2022 :  4:21:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So....I have been thinking and musing....
When we were first married, we lived in a TINY little house. Upside, I could clean the entire thing AND do all of my laundry in 1 day! My kitchen, though, had no storage. I owned about 3 cookbooks and learned how to cook from just them. I had a crockpot, a stand mixer, a handmixer (which is still going after almost 40 years, but is on it's last leg) and a blender. I am wanting to streamline more and more and have been working on it for the past year or so. Going though cookbooks and copying the recipes that I want to try, filing them and then donating the books. Going back and trying some old tried and true recipes that I haven't made in a long time. Either putting leftovers in the freezer right away or making sure that they get eaten during the week. (I'm so thankful that Brad likes leftovers). He thought we needed an instant pot a couple of weeks ago. I tried about 3 or 4 things in it and didn't like the way they turned out so it went back to Costco! I am really happy that I didn't keep it. I hadn't paid much attention to all of the functions on my InstaPot and tried out the slow cooker mode. Works great so I am going to get rid of my crockpot! I'm also going to get rid of my rice cooker/steamer since I like the way the InstaPot does rice just as well.
I'm liking the simpleness...it reminds me of our early marriage days!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2022 :  5:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a smart solution, Denise. I'm sure that if I had any growing around here Brad would make short work of it and it would be gone!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  04:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We had it growing near our woods in NJ and it took over. It looked beautiful when it bloomed but had choked out a lot of other things.
When we first lived in NJ at the first house we had some growing in the front yard. It was traibed into looking like a small tree. It was gorgeous but we had to keep the vines from taking over but keep them trimmed short. The stuff grows like crazy. We may try for the tree here and just make a new start.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  10:53:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I find that simplifying my home lowers my overall sense of general chaos in life There is less to keep up with, less to clean and less space needed to house everything. When we got married, we had a super tiny house and I wonder if we had stayed there if I would have never ended up with so much stuff. One of the reasons we left was that the arrival of a second child seemed like we were always on top of each other and we needed more room. If we had not been able to buy a larger home, I would have been forced to be more discerning about what I bought? I don't know. I have learned a lot over the decades and that has made me more discerning about the importance of "stuff". But then hindsight is always 20/20 isn't it?! It seems like you might be on an important period of discerning yourself about what you have in your own home. WE need "fresh eyes" to see the chaos that is fixable and then do what is indicated to lower the chaos.

Wisteria grows down here like a weed but it is so beautiful in the Spring and I love how it smells. The Bees love it too. It does want to take over and isn't the best solution sometimes if you are need different outcomes.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  12:21:02 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Debbie - I'm confused. You said you got one, didn't like it, and returned it to Costco and were glad you did; then you said you liked the slow cooker mode on the InstaPot and were getting rid of your crock pot and also getting rid of the rice cooker because you liked the way the Insta pot made rice ??? Did you keep it or not? LOL Just wondering.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6070 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6070 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  12:22:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I was confused by that too!

D

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  12:24:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! It was my technical editing rearing its head - things didn't compute. LOL!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2699 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2699 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  2:04:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOPS!!!! That IS confusing! Sorry :)
Brad bought an airfryer, not an instapot. The airfryer went back to Costco. When I was looking at my other 3 small appliances, I realized that the instapot would do the job of the crockpot AND the rice cooker/steamer. So I will get rid of them and just keep the instapot.
I wish I would have kept the picture that I took of the deep dish cheese pizza that I attempted in the airfryer....it was completely unrecognizable! My daughter thought it was sweet potato fries....

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  5:23:50 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL! Maybe the Air Fryer didn't know either?

We were thinking of an air fryer but decided we didn't need one because we don't fry that much. I have a digital pressure cooker that I have only used once or twice. It was found at Ed's sister's house after she passed - new in the box. I thought I would try it. Is it the same as an Instapot? If not, maybe an Instapot is what I need? Sounds like an Instapot does a LOT!

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6070 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6070 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2022 :  5:50:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think an instapot sounds like a good thing I had something similar with pressure cooker but it’s little plug got lost.
I really liked it. I couldn’t find a way to order a new plug. That was that.
I shall have to look into that.
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2022 :  09:20:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Isn't this discussion just show how we are all scratching our heads trying to figure which of the kitchen utensil options are what we need and will use? This is especially a problem if you have no extra storage space like me. I don't have any of these newer devices and it is interesting that some of them do the same thing in addition to other uses. Wouldn't be nice to have a local community test kitchen that was devoted to allowing someone to come and make a recipe in one of the newer devices so that they could see how it really worked??

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9510 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9510 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2022 :  09:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be a wonderful idea! Even with putting in the new cabinets we have no extra room for small appliances.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2022 :  7:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Winnie -

I agree - some things we have do multoiple things. Would be nice to know.

Debbie -

which brand of instapot do you have? Or is Instapot the brand? LOL! I have a digital pressure cooker. I'll have to see if it is the same as an Instapot because it does have different settings for different meals.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919

Edited by - quiltee on Mar 13 2022 7:24:40 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic March Musings Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page