hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2021 :  05:28:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! Today is pie day for us. I am planning on baking some pumpkins so I can puree those up for some pumpkin pies, as well as making a Dutch apple pie, Pecan pie, and Smores Pie. The plan it to make einkorn flour pie crusts. Do any of you work with that grain? Love that stuff!!!! I am also hoping to finish making applesauce and getting it canned! We purchased 320 pounds of apples last month and we are down to the last 40 pounds or so to process. It should hold us over for at least a year... I hope ;)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9454 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9454 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2021 :  05:33:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning Shannon. I am also baking pies today. Pumpkin and apple. Cooking down the pumpkin for that this morning. Probably make some pumpkin bars too. I have 2 big pumpkins to use up.
I've not used eikhorn flour. Do you do the grinding yourself?
I do make my own pie crusts.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Nov 24 2021 05:34:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4040 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4040 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2021 :  07:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Wildflowers~ today is backing day for us as well, I will make pumpkin and pecan pie with two extra for my nephew to take home. Then make some chocolate chip cookies. Denise Your pumpkin bars and pies sound great. I envy you girls making your own pie crust, I have tried many times in my 47 years of marriage and I have never been a success at it. So, it is pilsbury piecrust for us and it at just fine to my guys:-)
Shannon I have never heard of that particular grain, does it still give it that pie crust taste?
320 pounds of apples to process, girl you have a heck of a lot more energy than I do!
Enjoy your day and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2021 :  08:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! I have three pie pumpkins in the oven right now. I have another larger one to do as well. I also have chicken bones in the oven... once they are roasted, I'll throw them in the instant pot and bake some broth for soup for lunch. I also have sourdough cracker dough mixed and souring so I can get those made for Friday. Oh and I have my milk cultured for making soft goat cheese.

Einkorn is an ancient wheat. It has less gluten and about half the amount of chromosomes as regular wheat. It is a little different to work with, but my gluten intolerant kiddos do really well with it, as do I with my Hashimotos. I do grind my own, as the flour doesn't go rancid as quickly that way.

I'm not so sure it is about energy, Debbie, but rather the need to supply food for everyone over the year. WE have made apple pie filling, apple pie jam, apple butter, dehydrated apples, and applesauce. I am loading up on applesauce at this point, as they are getting more soft, and that is the healthiest of all the canned goods, hahaha.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Kitchen Happenings Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page