Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together: Fall Arrives!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: Fall Arrives! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  09:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Connie
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  11:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a fun and lovely photo you found, Connie. I sure would love to own a truck like that one!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2020 :  11:52:30 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great picture, Connie.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  10:40:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  12:44:23 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have always loved this picture. Growing up, it was always on the front page of the Chicago Tribune Magazine when fall started. I hope you like it, too. Reminds me that Fall is a great time to enjoy the cooler weather and wonderful colors of Fall. Good storytellers, as many grandparents are, are great to have around, too.

In case you can't read the words on this picture, Here they are, as originally written by John T. McCutcheon and published in the Chicago Tribune, September 30, 1907:

Yep, sonny this is sure enough Injun summer. Don't know what that is, I reckon, do you? Well, that's when all the homesick Injuns come back to play; You know, a long time ago, long afore yer granddaddy was born even, there used to be heaps of Injuns around here—thousands—millions, I reckon, far as that's concerned. Reg'lar sure 'nough Injuns—none o' yer cigar store Injuns, not much. They wuz all around here—right here where you're standin'.

Don't be skeered—hain't none around here now, leastways no live ones. They been gone this many a year.

They all went away and died, so they ain't no more left.

But every year, 'long about now, they all come back, leastways their sperrits do. They're here now. You can see 'em off across the fields. Look real hard. See that kind o' hazy misty look out yonder? Well, them's Injuns—Injun sperrits marchin' along an' dancin' in the sunlight. That's what makes that kind o' haze that's everywhere—it's jest the sperrits of the Injuns all come back. They're all around us now.

See off yonder; see them tepees? They kind o' look like corn shocks from here, but them's Injun tents, sure as you're a foot high. See 'em now? Sure, I knowed you could. Smell that smoky sort o' smell in the air? That's the campfires a-burnin' and their pipes a-goin'.

Lots o' people say it's just leaves burnin', but it ain't. It's the campfires, an' th' Injuns are hoppin' 'round 'em t'beat the old Harry.

You jest come out here tonight when the moon is hangin' over the hill off yonder an' the harvest fields is all swimmin' in the moonlight, an' you can see the Injuns and the tepees jest as plain as kin be. You can, eh? I knowed you would after a little while.

Jever notice how the leaves turn red 'bout this time o' year? That's jest another sign o' redskins. That's when an old Injun sperrit gits tired dancin' an' goes up an' squats on a leaf t'rest. Why I kin hear 'em rustlin' an' whisper in' an' creepin' 'round among the leaves all the time; an' ever' once'n a while a leaf gives way under some fat old Injun ghost and comes floatin' down to the ground. See—here's one now. See how red it is? That's the war paint rubbed off'n an Injun ghost, sure's you're born.

Purty soon all the Injuns'll go marchin' away agin, back to the happy huntin' ground, but next year you'll see 'em troopin' back—th' sky jest hazy with 'em and their campfires smolderin' away jest like they are now.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  9:19:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, that is quite a story. I've never heard anything like that before.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2020 :  10:14:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Linda -- it's nice to see this again.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

isewbernina
Farmgirl at Heart

5 Posts

Kathy
Salina KS
USA
5 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2020 :  2:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I loved the story, Linda. Indian Summer is one of my favorite times of the year. When I was young it was a time of raking leaves, burning them in the yard, going to my uncles' farm, and riding the trailer out into the woods for a hotdog roast and roasting marshmallows over the coals. So much fun!
Lots of wonderful memories for sure. Kathy

Family is
GOD's
Greatest Masterpiece
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2020 :  5:10:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda,
Thanks for sharing this! Love reading it again.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: Fall Arrives! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page