Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together: Fall Arrives!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: Fall Arrives! Next Topic
Page: of 3

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2020 :  5:33:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Autumn or Fall seems to be a favorite season for many people. I know it is mine, hands down. Most of us think of Fall beginning with the arrival of the Fall Equinox, but did you know that meteorological Fall begins today, September 1st? This year of 2020, the Fall Equinox arrives on Tuesday, September 22 at 9:30 Am EDT. What is the difference between these two dates and why do they exist?

For Meteorologists, the four seasons of the year are drawn into 4 periods with roughly 89-93 days each. The seasons go as follows: Fall is Sept.1-Nov.30, Winter is December 1-February 28 or 29 in Leap Year, Spring is March 1-May 31, and Summer is June 1-Aug. 31. These different divisions allow weather experts to gather data on temperatures of the oceans and air, global wind patterns associated with temperature changes, and other events. This allows for easier tracking and comparisons over time for better predictions. These cycles and events help record important trends and dates for predicting useful data about first and last frost dates for planting, the busiest weeks of the hurricane season, the arrivals of La Nina and El Nino patterns that create temperatures and rainfall trends every year. All of this data help farmers with their crops, fishermen with their routes, and citizens of every country help with preparing for bad weather. It also allows people like me, who can't wait for Fall to start ealier!! LOL!!

The division of the season into two Equinoxes and two Solstices are called the Astronomical Calendar of seasons. The dates of each event is based on the Earth's tilt and the resulting amount of daylight and night. At both Equinoxes, the length of the day and night are roughly equal. In both Solstices, the Winter celebrates the longest night and the Summer one celebrates the longest day.

The many celebrations of the seasons were all associated with these Astronomical categories because ancient peoples could notice and record the length of the daylight. It was important to watch and understand this natural occurrence because it coincided with important food sources for agrarian life and for tribal hunting patterns.

There are relics of these early styles of living with recordings of ancient life, buildings from pre-medieval times in Europe and Africa. People set up their lifestyles often by the length of the days. We also know from pre-Christian eras, that celebrations were common for harvesting days, planting days, long Summer days, and cold Winter's nights. The arrivals of every season were often community gathering and celebrating times. Think about May pole dances, harvest meals together, and Winter gatherings for ancient celebrations like Yule in Medieval England before the arrival of Christianity.

The seasons have always been a huge part of the life of people, and each culture developed their own ways of celebrating based on where they lived and what they had access to.

The actual terms Autumn and Fall seem to trace back to the England during the Medieval period. Fall was actually the short version of the Fall of the leaves. Today, the British use Autumn to describe the season while Canadians and Americans mostly use Fall. Both words refer to the same thing but as a culture we tend to mostly choose Fall.

The question is, why do so many people love Fall? It seems that this particular season wins more enthusiasm than the other three. When I dug down a bit deeper in my search, most of the reasons were associated with fond memories of childhood. Depending on where you live, the arrival of Fall coincided with a new school year and big weather differences. The brilliant colors of fall leaves, the arrival of apples, pumpkins, corn for animals and people, and various other vegetables that were not available other months of the year. The pace of life changed as days were shorter and the air was colder. Suddenly, there was a need for cozy fires in the fireplaces or wood stoves, mittens, scarves,and hats to pull out and wear, and heavier meals to simmer on stoves and make everyone warm after a cold day. All of these big changes helped to create specific memories that made Fall special and different.

Today, we each have specific special memories and associations with the fall season. Even if cold weather is not your favorite, there is this period of Fall when the Earth is uniquely beautiful and there is a freshness in the chilly air that feels invigorating. Life today is easier with climate controlled homes and grocery stores stocked with whatever we want and need 7 days a week. But colored leaves bring Leaf Peepers by the thousands every year. Apple picking and fall harvest celebrations likewise bring visitors by the thousands. People love Fall!

So what about you? Do you love Fall? And if so, what do you like the most about this season? I start thinking about September 1 about the second week of July when I can't stand the heat and humidity!! LOL!! Even though it is relentlessly hot, humid, and rainy EVERY SINGLE DAY here in Florida, I felt a big happiness that the calendar turned the page today to the meteorological favorite season of the year for me! I started pulling out a few things and changing the landscape of my decor both inside and on the back porch. It was so hot and humid and rained twice while I was cleaning up the back porch and trying to hang up the fall leaf garlands . I soaked two sets of clothes before I got it all done!!! But, I was a happy camper and so thankful that AC was just inside the back door!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  04:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
Great topic for this month. This is my very favorite season.
As I was reading this post I was thinking how scripture talks about the moon, the tides and changing seasons and how to watch for certain things during the times of changing seasons.
There is something special about this time of year and I have wonderful childhood memories living in upstate NY. Autumn was always the start of school and festivals. The cooler weather brought everyone out and we were all busy raking up and burning leaves after we spent sufficient time jumping in them. Lol.
It meant fires in the woodstove and picking fruits and finishing the last of the harvesting in the garden and canning goodies. All the smells associated with it. Mom cooking applesauce, apple butter and pumpkin to can and make pies and breads to freeze.
At school, the beginning of the new school year and Friday night dances and basketball games. New school clothes and supplies. Making new friends and seeing the old, sharing summer stories.
Looking forward to Halloween costumes and bobbing for apples. It was always sad to see summer end and packing up to go home from the lake but we had things to look forward to. I think I miss that about being a child.
I have already had my decor out for a few weeks. I needed the change.
I am still working on making some items to decorate with.
Linda sent me a beautiful fall ruffle ribbon for a swap as well as some other things to decorate with from our Fall swap here. It's so bright and cheery.

Looking forward to others thoughts on this beautiful time of year.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 02 2020 04:50:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  1:38:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Spring is my favorite time of the year with all the green new growth and beginnings of life, but fall is my second favorite season. As much as I would like fall to start on September first I just can't consider it when the temps are still over 100. I think seasons start and end at different times in different places. Fall to me starts on that morning when I open the door and it smells like fall. I can't really describe that smell; you just now it when you smell it. I used to love fall because of the cooler weather, Halloween, and all the family gatherings at holidays. So much of that has changed for me lately that I am going to have to redefine the season, but I still love the cooler weather.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2020 :  4:01:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I agree that autumn comes at different times. The year my son was born, it arrived on the 10 th of August. This year it was August 7th. God has been hinting that autumn would arrive early this year...since way back in March. For "some reason He is in a hurry." It relates to the Solar eclipse That many people throughout middle America experienced almost three years ago! That is the with me.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2020 :  4:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O agree, Judith, that Fall has a definite smell in the air. But here in Florida, it has to cool down first to have that smell. The sun bakes everything daily so it really does take change in air temperature for more than a single day to get the signal from the environment that the season has arrived. All seasons here are gradual and one blurs into another. We have less and less Winter now so summer is predominate and fall arrives in December and blends into Spring in January. Our seasons never happen all at once and warm weather predominates over cool during December to April. It wasn't like that so much when I moved here in 1973. We usually had cold wet Decembers and chilly Januarys.

What I can tell you about the arrival of Fall here right now is that the acorns are ripening from our Oak trees and starting to fall, the Longleaf Pines are making new fat green pinecones, the Beauty Berry bushes are full of purple berries, the Sycamore has already started dropping it's leaves(which is normal for this species), and the Sweet gum Trees are full of green spiny balls that turn brown and fall later this month. A few of the deciduous trees will have a premature leaf change color and drop off too. But the the biggest sign around here is that the citrus trees are exploding with green fruit and the limbs are drooping down. By late October, there will be oranges but they really are not ready to eat until closer to December/Christmas. It takes some cooler drier nights to sweeten them up. This is not the usual pumpkin, apple, colored leaves landscape we associate with Fall!! LOL!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2020 :  6:23:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We need cooler weather to create fall, too. Sycamore leaves don't start to turn until later in November. This year the Valley Oak leaves are dropping already along with acorns. Early for sure -- do I dare hope cooler weather will be earlier this year? I haven't noticed that the squirrels have bushier tails, which my mother always said meant an early or hard winter. The season change here is also subtle. My aunt, from the midwest, said California only has two seasons -- hot and dry, and cold and wet, and the cold is only relative here as it is nothing like the freezing snowy cold in the rest of the country.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2020 :  10:25:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, the year I had my second knee replaced in July was an unusual year. I had that surgery then a couple of weeks later I was in the ER, and from there on into the hospital for several bags of antibiotics. My knee had a bad infection...caused by the New doctor using steri strips to close the incision. After deciding my insurance was good they called the only
Local pharmacy who had the antibiotic the doctor wanted me on.$1400. But I paid $40. Next in very early October I had to have hernia repair. I left the hospital on Friday and on Monday my husband was in the ER with samonella...so he got some antibiotics.
That week was spent with the orthopedic team and some big city folks who came to visit about what to do with my leg. Then six more trips to the hospital and operating room. They had decided a wound vac might fix my leg. And it did. So by this time it was Halloween.
That was when I decided to decorate in early August for Autumn! I had all but missed it.
So now I begin to decorate early, and since it is so hot I enjoy my days inside with the central air conditioning.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2020 :  04:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
September is trying to cool down. Here in the mid Atlantic we still get some very warm days in October. This week has been warm. Next week I see we are supposed to have in the mid to upper 70s with a few days in the mid to upper 80s. All of that beats temps in the 90s any day. Guess when you grow up in the north it's hard to let go of those definite season changes. September always reminds me of school days but it has been so long since any of mine were in school. Plus we homeschooled for around 13 years. They still did get new things and school supplies and we always started the day after Labor day.
It's always been a little difficult to get in mode for Fall because we don't cool down very quickly. I will say that yesterday I did notice a maple tree that had started changing color already. That's a good sign I hope.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 05 2020 04:14:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2020 :  05:33:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Labor Day weekend has me remembering how it felt when I was a child. We never did special traveling or anything, but there was this bittersweet feeling of care free summers leaving and all the excitement I felt about a new school year. Oddly enough, it seemed like right after Labor Day, things would begin to cool down at night and I would need a sweater in the morning. Afternoons were still warm, but the air was dry and so the heat index was very low. I noticed this weekend how different life feels when you no longer have children in school . Even though schools opened last week for those who are doing in person schooling, I don’t participate in that process anymore. As a result, the shift of summer to fall is a blunted somewhat by this marker of change. The unrelenting heat and humidity every single day has also given this year a feeling of endless Summer. For me, I think I react more to the weather changes when I associate seasons. In my head, Fall needs cooler and drier days, Winter needs cold chilly days and nights, Spring needs warmer days while still having cool nights, and Summer should have some mix of intense and not so intense heat. When there are really just two seasons, as it has become here in north Florida, I don’t have the regular cues I look for and react to anymore. I can’t seem to adjust in my head what the new two season year is supposed to be like when I keep looking and hoping for what my mind says are the important cues for seasonal change.

I think It all has to do with what I was saying in the introduction about memories from childhood. If I had grown up here in Florida, then I would not have had those experiences of leaf raking, apple picking, and sweater wearing that signaled the arrival of the fall season. In one sense , I am still looking for something that cannot be where I actually live. Good Grief how the mind can play tricks on your expectations!! LOL!!! I was thinking yesterday as I continued to pull our my little fall decorations , as it was blazing hot outside, how I create this alternate universe.
But I remind myself that these are challenging times and call for creative solutions. Hey, why not? Welcome to Fall in my home!!! I have lots of apples and will gladly whip up an apple dessert of some kind if you wish to stop by!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2020 :  08:38:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I agree. Here it seems Fall comes in so slowly and gradually that there doesn't seem to be a specific change. I see pumpkins out along the farmstands when it is still too warm here to think about them. We don't start to get cold here until the end of October. I will say we can go from cold in the morning with a sweatshirt on to letting the fire die and changing into a tee shirt by early afternoon. That is why I long to move north. I know it sounds strange. Most people want to move south. But some of my favorite people are north too and I really do like the snow.

I did see where one of our pick your own places has Gala apples ready today and Empires will be coming in next week.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 05 2020 08:40:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  05:35:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Minnesota is definitely in fall mode. We have had day time temps in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Frost is predicted next week. But these change in temps cause the leaves to start turning colors and color those favorite apple varieties and put the finishing touches on the pumpkins. I love the low temps. I have a hard time with 80s and 90s and excessive humidity. Just a product of living up north all my life. I love the feel of a warm sweater and the taste of hot cider and apple turnovers. We will get more warm weather this fall as the temps vary. It is sad to see the birds and insects pack up for the South but we have cardinals, blue jays and finches that stay the winter. Fall is nature's last hurrah before the cold and snow come. It feels good to sit by the fire, covered in a quilt and read. Fall is my favorite too.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1222 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1222 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  08:55:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fall is slowly showing up in the north country. Our nights are cooler, making a sweater welcome. Our leaves have been inching towards their golden colors. I see frost is predicted next week. I am not ready to let my garden go, so I might cover part of it. I love the fall season and all the business it brings for us. The rush to get the crops in, get the livestock prepared for winter and finish all my garden projects. I look forward to time in front of a fire with a warm beverage in my hand.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  12:03:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You lucky ladies -- I am green with envy. 111 today; the low last night was 70. I don't think I remember what a sweater is. We are being asked to conserve energy, at least between 3 to 9pm. With my back still not cooperating with the rest of my body I plan to do nothing but lay in my recliner.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  1:05:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, I'm so sorry your back is still giving you fits. You sound a lot like me. I sit/ or lie down... in the recliner, with the heating pad! Some times is goes across my lower back but today It is warming my neck and upper spine. I have discovered that when I get a good night's sleep my back is not as painful. But one good night's sleep every two weeks just is not enough! So I do laundry, wash dishes, sweep floors and on occasion mop floors...in segments of time. Usually 10 minute segments...so you can imagine it takes me half a day to do a chore.
My son told us at lunch that his friend who lives at the top of the pan handle of Texas, told him they were supposed to hit 100° today and tomorrow, but drop to 56° both nights. Then their night time low of 56° will become the high on Tuesday. That will be a shocker to the system of man and beast too!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  1:46:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel for you ladies with back trouble. I have dealt this week with neck and shoulder issues. Probably due to stitching. Since I have my head down a lot for that.

I purchased some fall clothing online last night. Figured I may as well do it now so I have them when I need them. I don't buy clothes very often. But usually just replenishing things I really need.

We are having temps in the 80s this week.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  1:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone else decorate with things from nature? I use acorns a lot because we get an abundance of them. Also use pinecones.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  7:17:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie! Love!!
I love nature things too Denise! Suppose to be in the 70's this Thursday, Friday and Saturday! I don't remember it being that cool this early in September in years! I know it will warm back up. Sometimes it hit 86 here in October!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2020 :  7:54:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gather burr oak acorns, my tree has finally grown and to about twenty feet tall. So this is only about its third year to drop those big acorns. We don't have any pinecones. I usually gather some browns, tans and reds after they have tried but the trees have not released them.
I have had the do nothing's but sleep lately...well I have been crafting a bit and sewing a bit for swaps. I made a pumpkin pie this morning early. Hopefully I will do more decorating outside on Tuesday...cooler.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9532 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9532 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  04:29:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, your weather sounds like ours. I was surprised it was 58 degrees when we got up this morning but the overnight low was only 57. We are in the low 80s and this next weekend in the 70s. Looking forward to it. We also warm to the 80s in October. But I'm feeling the promise of fall as summer winds down here. I believe school starts here tomorrow.

JT is working today as he needs to take Friday off.

I am going to work on decorating my porch a little today.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Sep 07 2020 04:32:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  08:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I welcome every seasons .... I'm an all season gal. Every season is special to me. As a youth, my family lived in Florida and I did not like it (sorry Winnie). I will always remember my first Christmas in Florida .... with no snow. That is etched in my memory forever. For me, it didn't feel like Christmas. I could never tell when a season changed. It all seemed the same for me.

I love fall for it's beauty, the rain, the wind ... Fall is a busy time, harvesting, preparing for Father Winter. it signals the oncoming of the dormant period, where everything will sleep until awaken in the spring.

Thank you Winnie for writing these post.

Cheers~

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Sep 07 2020 08:35:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  09:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All those years of
Teaching young kids... I wished for a time...with no carpool, no drive to work. I wished and prayed for peace...to be at home. Finally I have that dream. Now if my son can ever get off the treadmill of being a contractor.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  09:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is my favorite time of year...the ending of summer and going into fall. I enjoyed it when I was younger and still in school. I loved getting new school supplies and the thoughts of another school year, starting to sew new school clothes in August and shopping for others. The smell of a new box of crayons!
This summer has been an endless season of heat. No rain for days and days. Great for harvesting but it starts to wear on you. I did my walk outside last Friday and I could feel fall in the air. It almost felt too cool and maybe I needed a light jacket but by the time I got going, I warmed right up and when I was back home, it was WAY too warm for any kind of jacket. We are under some kind of strong wind advisory today and tomorrow and it's supposed to cool down for a day or two...and then back to 90. Did you girls here that Denver is expecting SNOW this week?? From 90s to 37 degrees...that is hard on a person!
I like the inner feeling of fall that I get. I don't know how to describe it. You are changing seasons, the weather is cooling, you are preparing for cooler weather, canning, freezing. The holidays are coming and I am thinking about those, what I might want to make for gifts, etc. I love to be cozy in the house and am looking forward to being able to do that. That's my favorite time of day...the end of the day when I like to sit down and work on some knitting or reading and watch the sun set.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6078 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6078 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  10:12:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember one year how the smell in the air was different when Fall came! It’s a beautiful time of the year with leaves changing color.
And then there is Spring! I am definitely not a Winter person. :)

Have a wonderful day
Darlene

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3522 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3522 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, you sound like me. I always loved how August blended into September and school started. I miss that anticipation of the first day of school . In Virginia, September always brought on some cooler mornings. By afternoon, it was back up to warm, but the humidity was mostly gone and when the sun went down, it was nice outside and we could enjoy needing a light jacket or sweater. I think as a retired Farmgirl with grown children, August is just another tortuous month of heat, humidity and tropical storms/hurricanes. That is why I decided to follow the meteorological calendar so that September could be a valid beginning to Fall. By changing the internal landscape with little fall things here and there, it helped fill that void of no school year to enjoy or prepare for with my children. The arrival and availability of late Summer apples also was the perfect inspiration for our Apple Festival at MJF. I am the one who dreamed that idea up and asked MaryJane if we could do it. Then I created the Apple badge and the Apple Pie Sunday event. Thankfully, the idea resonated with many Farmgirls who either have apple trees in their yards, live in states where they grow a lot of apples, or who like me just wanted a little holiday here at the Farm that we could celebrate together yo welcome in Fall.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1275 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2020 :  5:42:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe I will be ready for apples on Apple Pie Sunday, I sure hope so, but right now I'm celebrating pears. They seem especially good this year and I'm taking every chance I can to enjoy them before they are gone.

It's been a little depressing lately what with the virus, heat, fires, hurricanes, and personal problems. I have missed holidays; sometimes you need to celebrate something, just to break up the monotony of every day being the same as the day before, and the past six months have definitely been monotonous. We always used to celebrate Labor Day with varied activities. Sometimes the state fair, one year it was the highland games, another time it was a bluegrass festival. We always had a picnic. We can't go anywhere this year but we are having a picnic. It will probably be in the living room cuz it's just too hot outside but we will be having fried chicken, potato salad, and brownies and root beer floats for desert. I can't do a lot but DH is being a wonderful help.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Sep 07 2020 5:42:47 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2020 :  11:55:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith have you thought of moving to Texas? It does get hot in August. but with the grand solar minimum...the weather is so ..screwed up...

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: Fall Arrives! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page