debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  10:26:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could someone please explain to me what "tucks" are? I think I know...but not for sure. Thank you!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  11:05:43 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Tucks are extras that the swap does not include. Sometimes candy, sometimes an extra handmade something, really anything extra that the swap does not specify to be sent. Sometimes just fabric squares or FQ if you know the farm girl sees.

The Altered Word swap is a postcard, so there can't be a tuck - unless, of course, the postcard is sent in a box.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Jun 20 2020 11:09:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  11:17:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wondered about that also Debbie...and I'm still not sure. However since I have been swapping for a while this is what I have noticed.
In the beginning a tea bag was a tuck.
Or a paperclip someone had fancied up, or some other small thing like a cute tag.
But over the years a lot of other things have crept in.
I don't do a lot of tucks, because for the past few months I am not out shopping like I did at one time.
I like the simple home/handmade items. They say to me that the farm girl cared enough to share her heart with me. #128525;#128525;#128525;

Marie he been including some origami folded stars. They are so special,and flat, so no extra postage needed, and she used catalogue and magazine pages.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jun 20 2020 11:24:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  12:33:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tucks are the extras not required by the swap. I have mixed feelings about them; mostly I love them but in some swaps I don't. ATC swaps are one where I really don't want to feel I have to include a tuck because just an ATC can be mailed in a envelope with no extra postage. Add a tuck and the postage goes up. The Altered Word swap specifies no tucks. I don't do a lot of tucks for the same reason as Marilyn -- I just don't go out much. It's not uncommon for me to be a month between shopping trips, even before the virus. I don't do a lot of swaps anymore because I was feeling guilty about not putting a lot of extras in with my swap.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  12:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And that is a shame Judith. You are so talented. I wish we could go back to the NO TICKS rule. When I'm on a roll, doing lots of swaps, the postage can get pretty expensive. I only use a box when nothing else will hold the swap, otherwise i use manilla envelopes or padded mailers.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2706 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2706 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  1:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for helping me out! I wanted to be sure that I knew what the "proper" swapping/tuck etiquette was :) I think that tucks can be a fun surprise...but they do add on postage quickly. And I love the homemade things, especially!
Now for another question....what is ATC? I really should know this stuff by now....

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  1:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ATC means Artists Trading Cards. There again, I think we should be painting them, but that is a lot of trouble...unless you are set up in painting mode every day. I love be to paint but not tiny pieces of whatever.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9533 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9533 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  4:09:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tucks have never been required for swaps. Most times if it is a small thing most will add teas. I did the dishcloths swap and didn't add tucks because I was sending CA from here and it was already close to five dollars to send it in a small manila envelope. It depends on what the swap is. That why I like to do themed swaps you can make a lot and fit it into a priority box or even envelope.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1276 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1276 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2020 :  5:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ATC's -- Artist trading cards -- can be made of any medium: paint, pencil, pen and ink, decoupage, metal tape, fabric, etc, etc. As long as it fits on a 2 ½" by 3 ½" card and usually they want them to fit in a plastic sleeve. They are fun to make and trade.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Tucks??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page