TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2019 :  2:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fifth graders used to study a lot about the pioneers who left the over crowded east coast to travel West. It was not until Grandpa Daniel Boone made a trail through some wilderness, that great numbers could move west.
Since my genealogy search for my husband and lots of sub work in fifth grade, I have an overwhelming sense of sadness when I think of the many miles that many women walked each day. But after camp was made they had to feed their hungry husband and kids...is it any wonder most, like my grandma, were rail thin! Many traveled with an ox cart due to the rugged conditions getting through the mountain passes. What on earth did they do when the thunder, lightening and high winds came??? How did they comfort their frightened children when they were just as scared. Many were just teenagers, but married and having babies?? Then there was dug out living on the prarie. No wood to gather for heat, so they found cow or buffalo patties, which when dry, burn much like wood.I
Oh yes, Daniel Boone was not my grandpa...but my husband, my son and grand daughters are his grand kids. My husband is sixth generation, our son is 7th, and the girls are 8th generation.
When the eldest was in history class one day, one of the kids said something about Daniel Boone and asked if he was married, had kids and grandkids. The teacher said "No!" She just did not know the answer and rather than using that moment as a learning opportunity for herself and her students, she chose to be a b----! When my grand daughter told me, I reassured her that the teacher was wrong, and if needed I could prove her wrong with documentation! Some people! !!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Summer is gone???? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page