Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Learning Together: Bees, Butterflies and Plants
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: Bees, Butterflies and Plants Next Topic
Page: of 4

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  3:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy April, everyone! I thought I would share this book, I was gifted last Summer from my daughter about plants, flowers, and healthy habitats that both feed our Bees and Butterflies.

This little book is full of plants that feed bees, butterflies/moths, and Humming birds.

Most of us are aware that bees, insects, and birds have all been negatively impacted from insecticides. Even back in 1936, Dr. Edith Patch, an early insect conservationist, wrote about the devastating impacts of insecticides on bees and helpful insects. She spoke of the vital link between these pollinators and the plants we all have become dependent on for food. Dr. Patch's warnings and research have not been followed and today we see drastic populations decline in our bees throughout the world.

It was interesting to learn about the other early Botanists who were also finding worrisome warning signs that bees and important insects were being threatened. We all know today how expensive it is to reclaim land that has been over used and depleted and make it healthy again. One problem leads to another.

We all can help create habitats that foster good and healthy places for our bees, insects and birds thrive. Beetles, flies and wasps are also pollinators and an important worker between flowers and the bees and other insects that live off of them. Who knew flies helped?? Certainly NOT me!! LOL!!

The book outlines native wild flowers, native trees and shrubs, trees, herbs and ornamentals and native and nonnative bee pasture plants.If you are wondering what and where you could help , from your backyard or patio porch, this little book has a chapter with lots of great photos to show you ideas.

We had heard from friends how much Monarch Butterflies loved Milkweed plants. We purchased two last Summer. Lo and behold, the monarchs found those two plants, ate every leaf off and filled the stems with huge caterpillars. We even found a chrysalis on the carport wall by August!

This Spring, we learned that our local Natural History museum offers plants for sale each weekend for attracting bees, butterflies and humming birds. Warren purchased 3 different Milk weed plants and has created a little space for the plants to live and grow. We are hopeful about our milkweed gardenette(LOL!! little garden) . The plants are now getting established and we have seen a few Monarch's feeding on them.

Since most of us live East of the Mississippi River, here are some wildflowers that lots of pollinators enjoy: BeeBalm, Black Eyed Susan,Coreopsis, Milkweed, Mountain Mint,and Native Thistle. These are a few of the common flowers listed but there are many more.

A few favorite trees and shrubs include, Blackberry, Raspberry, Blueberry, Buttonbrush, Redbud ,Rhododendron, native Roses, Tulip Tree, and Wild Lilac.

Some favorite flowers herbs are: Basil, Borage, Catnip, Coriander, Lavender, Mint, Oregano,`Thyme, and Russian Sage.

Important native bee pasture plants include Alfalfa,Buckwheat, Clover, Radish, Sweetclover, and Vetch.

There many more plants in each category depending on your areas. I worked on the MJF Bee Badge a few years back when I purchased some Mason Bees to hatch and hopefully live. Well ,they all hatched, flew out of their little house...........and never came back!!! I was so sad!! Mason Bees are great pollinators that do not produce honey. They live well in some city environments, but sadly not mine. Anyway, for those who have not worked on the Bee Badge, it is a great way to learn about bees and what they like and need to survive. With our new garden plant plan this Summer, I am hoping to continue to see many bees, butterflies and Hummingbirds. All of our small efforts in our yards are helping these important insects and our food sources that depend on their pollination work. It is inspiring to me to think that, with some targeted plants, I am helping bring back and keep our bees and other pollinators healthy and thriving!

Do you have any projects or successful plants that bring the bees and butterflies to feast at your house? I would love to hear what you are doing. If you have any other small and affordable books of the subject, please share with us and what you liked about the resources.

Bee Happy!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  3:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie
I just want to say this is a perfect topic for us this time of year!
We have been looking into the different plants, bushes and berries that will help our bee friends.
Anymore I get excited when I see bees around. Well, not the big fat carpenter ones that bore holes but I do like to see the others! I also have this book. We also have a few bird books to learn how to attract the different ones. Today I saw a small black and white woodpecker on the lilac bush trying to vet on the suet cage. It was swinging around so much from the wind he couldn't make it and flew off.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Mar 31 2019 3:17:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  4:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Timely topic, Winnie.

A couple of years ago I became interested in Mason bees - bought the book and the tubes for them to live in. I see bees around from time to time that live close to the ground. They wanted nothing to do with the tubes. I check on them but so far no bees live in them.

Last fall I planted four pots of milkweed along sideward going to front porch. Over the winter the squirrels dug in them. So far no green showing so the squirrels may have disturb the seeds too much to grow. If the milkweed doesn't appear soon I will plant cotton in the pots.

I grow several kinds of mints, thyme, oreganos, sages, lavender, basil, hyssop, and have a butterfly bush in back yard. I have hyacinth bean seeds to sow; bees and butterflies like the flowers. They also like my lantanas.

When I have it I put watermelon & cantaloupe rinds out in the yard for the butterflies and bees. They also can hold water. As I water I spray bushes so B & B can have a drink.

I've given up on having hummingbird feeders because no matter where I hang them the ants find them.

I don't use chemical insecticides or weed killer. I did have my house treated for termites last year but when it comes to termites I had no choice. The strongest weed killer I use is 20% vinegar. I ordered from Amazon. I use 5% vinegar or boiling water on ant hills and weeds in cracks in sidewalks. Cayenne pepper or hot sauce will keep ants out of plant pots and beds. The hot stuff will also keep stray cats from doing their business in flower or herb beds.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6073 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6073 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  5:06:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like a nice book Winnie!

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  5:18:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love this topic! I got Bumble Bees buzzing around already! I just get Soo joyful when I see and hear the bees!!
Connie
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2019 :  7:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are lucky here. When our growing season starts we have loads of insects in our state. We have a ton of milkweed and see lots of monarchs. Because of our short growing season we love plants. Enjoy yours, ours will be coming soon.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  07:04:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love hearing about all that many of you are currently doing to bring bees and other desirable pollinators to your yard. When our azaleas were in full bloom, the Bumblebees were always buzzing about and I was able to see several different varieties of Bumblebees as well. To me, they are the image that first comes to mind when I think of bees. I guess it is their size and colors that make them stand out on plants. But, oh how I love Honey bees as well because I know they are going to make delicious local honey that is available at some of our stores and always at the Farmer's Market. Currently, I am waiting for my orange tree to bloom. It puts off a lovely light sweet odor and the honey bees love it!!

Has anyone ever joined in those backyard bee counts that happen? I have seen them talked about online but never participated in one. I should make a bigger effort to do that because it does help keep track of bee counts and also would be a nice learning experience for me.

Sara, it is interesting to hear that your efforts at Mason Bees was a disappointment too. One Mason Bee keeper , who lives in a rural area, told me she thought they preferred to the country over city dwelling. But, I have heard and read that some city dwellers have been successful so I am not sure what matters to the bees.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  4:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I too had no success with Mason Bees. I would love to do the backyard Bee count.
It will be interesting to see how many we have since the beekeeper had to move farther away because of the highway construction.
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Apr 01 2019 4:34:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2019 :  4:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bonnie, you are so blessed!
Connie

Edited by - Killarney on Apr 01 2019 4:36:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  10:18:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I think I will need to get myself a copy of that book. I wish I would have had it when I was working on my "butterfly bee flower bed". Oh well, never too late to add a few more plants!
We used to raise leafcutter bees to help with the pollination for our alfalfa seed. They are interesting little creatures...nice that they don't sting you. My uncle raised a lot of mason bees and I have been learning about them from him. They might be fun to try and get established here.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  1:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
We see bees here in the country. Texas is known to have the killer bees, too. Many people have had large beehives between the walls in their houses. I sure don't want that to happen up here.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  4:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today, my orange tree has started to bloom and I saw a couple of honey bees busy!! It is always a happy moment to see them in my yard.

Debbie, You might still enjoy the book I shared because it has lots and lots of information and written in an easy format.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2019 :  5:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Winnie I used to love to visit my mom and dads in April when the orange blossoms were out. The smell was so amazing.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2019 :  06:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slim pickings for the few butterflies and bees I have seen. My two chive plants are blooming and I saw a few buds on old red rose bush that was here when I came to Paris. Don't know how old or what kind but it does have hips. Yesterday I saw one bud on an iris so they should be in full bloom soon. Parts of my yard are covered in wild violets and a dandelion here & there. The leaves are right for gathering so I'll have sauté dandelions for lunch. Violet flowers are edible so I may pick a few of them to add to dandelions.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2019 :  06:55:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, my Mom used to take wild violets and sugar them to put on a cake. I would also love to have enough to eat them in a salad. They grow wild here in February in the woods and are quite small. I am not sure they are edible either. They are a favorite flower of mine too. Yesterday, I saw a bunch of, what I assume are cultivated dandelion leaves so I should give them a try. Oddly enough, there are no dandelions growing at all in my yard or any of the yards on my street. They are abundant once you get out of the city limits along roads.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2019 :  11:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember sugared violets!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  06:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to wait on the violets to show up. I like to make violet jelly. I remember mom sugaring violets and roses too. I haven't seen too many dandelions out this year yet. The ones that have shown up are not in an area conducive to eating them. (dog) Have to wait for some to show up out back by the pasture.

The only bees I have seen so far are wasps and carpenter bees. Our peach trees are blooming so there may be some around soon. We see more when the apple tree comes into bloom.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Apr 10 2019 06:20:30 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  06:49:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denise your violet jelly sounds tasty. Would you share your recipe?

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  09:36:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our blackberries were planted in three rows when we moved here. Imagine my surprise when I was watering the stud horse one day...and discovered that the BlackBerry patch, now a thicket had moved itself down the slope and to the north. Now it is loaded with white blooms! Problem is copperheads! They are already out, Hadlee killed the first one this year.
Country kids! I guess you aren't a country kid until you can skid a vehicle to a stop on a snake and kill it. I remember how excited she was when she did it last year.
But curiosity got the best of our country kid the other day. She saw a 'brown bag' on a fence. She asked her Bapa if he had seen it. Finally she got out of her car, crawled under the fence, walked through our neighbors pasture to see what was in the bag. It was not a bag at all...It was a dead critter he had killed and hung there! But imagine her shock when she crawled back under the fence and her butt hit the electric fence! WOW!!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  10:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn when it comes to copperheads in the blackberry patch I'm afraid I would just have to leave the berries to the birds and buy blackberries for cobbler. Do like a good blackberry cobbler.

Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  10:48:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I told my husband, that I would mow paths in there. He said NO.
He will pick them!
Julie will pick them!
Hadlee and Baylee will pick them. They all have high topped boots.
I don't have high topped boots.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Apr 10 2019 10:49:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  12:26:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wind today is horrid and it is hot!!! 90° is hot summer! I tried to take a photo of another pretty. I had to snap a stem and come inside,to get the photo. I have no idea what it's name is, but I call it grape soda...that is what it reminds me of.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9521 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9521 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  2:26:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I put the recipe I use for Wild Violet jelly under the recipes thread. You can do the same recipe with honeysuckle.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2019 :  2:28:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you.

Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6073 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6073 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2019 :  1:19:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oooh they both sound good!

Hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2019 :  8:56:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This afternoon I finally started my tubs. After watching you tube videos I decided to try wicking tubs. But I decided that putting broken up old tree limbs in the bottom of my tubs might be better than plastic or metal cans. I drilled one 1/2" drain hole 5" up from the bottom on the side of each tub, and added the wood from under our trees. If it is pleasant tomorroow, I will continue the project. ..

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Project Discussions: Previous Topic Learning Together: Bees, Butterflies and Plants Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page