Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 Build it Green - Intermediate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Build it Green - Intermediate Next Topic  

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  08:37:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So as is my custom, I am finally applying for all my badges that I've worked on over the past year. Sigh. I really need to start doing this more often! Last year I only applied in January! Anyways, to apply for the Build it Green intermediate level, I need to share with you dear friends what I've learned...

Most of us probably already have started decorating our house in a green manner and do not even realize it. My first thoughts were decorating with house plants. Then I thought about using beeswax candles and essential oils, rather than those plug ins you can get at the grocery store. But then it dawned on me... perhaps one of the greatest ways we decorate in a green manner is simply by reusing items to make things! Our Christmas tree, which will be up until after the 16th, is decorated with homemade ornaments made from wooden spools and tin can lids, and so many other reused items. When I decorate for Valentine's Day after the tree comes down, again there will be items that are reused or recycled into a new craft. Rather than throwing things into the landfill, we use them to beautify our homes. This is a great way to decorate green!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  08:58:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun!! I'd love to hear more about how you decorate for valentine's. I've never done it - other than the odd mugrug - so I would love to get more ideas!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  11:07:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, that is a great idea, recycling projects into new projects! I need to learn to think more outside the box. When you mentioned thread spools, it reminded me of a dear lady that I grew up with. She lived about an hour south of the nearest town out on a cattle ranch. I didn't realize it then but she was the ultimate recycler! One of the things that she did was to save her thread spools and then she strung them in rows, with the spools laying on their sides. She had rows and rows of them and she hung them in some of her windows, kind of like curtains. You'd have to see it, it sounds kind of weird, but it was so charming in her little cabin of a house. Another funny idea that I saw recently was done by another older cowgirl lady. She had cut off the cuff of an old western shirt, the kind with pearl snaps. She used it on her curtains in her cafe for a curtain tie back. It was quirky and totally fit in with the look of her place!
I would also like to know more about your Valentine decorating ideas!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  12:03:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys don't decorate for Valentine's Day? Uh oh.... now I wonder if I am being too cheesy....

One craft we will be doing this year is making Valentine trees... I'm going to get a branch from outside and bring it in a mason jar that is decorated (my inspiration was from here for the mason jar http://thepleatedpoppy.com/2012/01/valentines-mantle/). Then I'm going to put various sized paper hearts as "ornaments" on the tree. On the table on either side of the mason jar will be serger thread spools that have paper hearts glued to them (here is where I got this idea so you can see what I mean - I just used serger spools as my cones - http://igottacreate.blogspot.com/2012/02/valentine-heart-cone-tree-tutorial.html) And the kids make paper blooms each year - we usually give them away (https://www.parents.com/holiday/valentines-day/crafts/adorable-valentines-day-crafts-snacks/?slideId=slide_a6633766-9c21-4c39-b465-038712cb63de#slide_a6633766-9c21-4c39-b465-038712cb63de) I'm trying to remember what else I put up...

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  12:45:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, I do decorate for Valentine's Day! I was just excited to see how you decorate!!! Those ideas are super cute...thanks for sharing!
I usually do heart themed meals that day, as well.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  1:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for sharing, Shannon!! I'm getting some creative fun green ideas :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jan 04 2019 :  7:00:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for posting the web addresses Shannon. I looked at each one. Cute stuff. Years of teaching young kids, meant having to come up with ideas...or look at another's decorations, tweak and change them a bit...present it to the young artists and let them be creative! I love this time of year.
One of my favorite things to do with kids is to set up a card making station. It means you must cut out a lot of small and middle sized hearts so they can glue them onto the cards they will make! Then be ready to spell for them...or make word cards and stick to the wall. Then have them sound out the word they want...as they look at all of those words on the wall. What a teaching opportunity! You may have to show them but soon they will show another child. To be sure they will write and read "I love you!" You also need to provide a mail box so they can 'mail'their special cards. An oatmeal box or ???? Decorate it or let the kids do it. They are such busy little bees working together in.love and happiness.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jan 04 2019 7:02:59 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Build it Green - Intermediate Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page