Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 School Days of September
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic School Days of September Next Topic  

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2018 :  08:20:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning dear ladies! How is everyone??? Things sure have been quiet here on our forum! Everyone still around???

Life here has been BUSY! We went a little CRAZY and got 8 bushels - which is about 400 pounds!!! - of peaches. They took about a week to process, but I ended up with peach butter, peach salsa, peach barbecue sauce, peach slices in syrup, peach halves in syrup, honey spiced peaches, peach pie filling, and dehydrated peaches. THe only other thing I wanted, but forgot to do, was frozen peaches. I MAY get more, but I'm thinking I am peached out, lol.

We had our 4H meeting earlier last week - we voted in the new officers for this next year... three of my four children that are in 4H are now officers! Our homeschool group has also started back up, with the school year getting in full swing. I'm secretary of it this year... We already went on our first field trip and it was WONDERFUL! We went to a fish hatchery and learned so much!

This past weekend, I went on a ladies' retreat with the church we have been visiting. I feel so refreshed! It was such a God and His Word centered! While I was gone, Brad and the kids butchered a batch of chickens, as well as finding a chicken that had hatched out 14 chicks!!!

Craft-wise I've been working on my mom's Christmas present. It is a cross stitch of a hummingbird. Less than 100 days until Christmas!

So what is everyone else up to?

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2018 :  09:32:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, you have been busy! I always seem to feel rejuvenated when fall rolls around...summer and the harvest are behind us, the cooler weather is coming, I start thinking about the holidays...fall is my favorite time of year!
Is this the first time your kids have been in 4H? What kind of projects are they going to have?
Which homeschooling program do you use? My DIL is seriously thinking of heading in that direction.
Glad you had a great time at the retreat!!! And how nice that the chickens were done before you got back!!!
Only 100 days left???? I also did a cross stitch for my mom for Christmas. It was a UFO from LONG ago and I just finished it this year. I just need to get it framed for her. It's the picture, Christ at Heart's Door. You've probably seen it. I found out it's one of her favorites.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2018 :  10:36:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Shannon and Debbie!! it is SO good to hear what you ladies have been up to!! I am still waiting for that fall feeling, Debbie. Our seasons are a bit different here - September is such a beautiful month, and we don't plant in the garden until the end of June, so I'm still canning until mid-October usually. I still have lots left, and am not sure how I'm going to get it all done :/

Tyson and I went to Europe for two weeks to attend a cousin's wedding. It was very special. It was lovely to be away with my husband - the first time since we got married. We've started homeschooling - into our second week, and have decided to join a co-op that will meet weekly. We start that in October. The boys are in swimming, my daughter in art lessons, and all three are doing violin (and piano from me of course). So, it's busy, but good!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2018 :  4:24:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Debbie!!! We started 4H in May, so yes, it is pretty much our first time, hahaha. The four older kids did posters for fair this year, the 7 year old did legos, the 11 yo did a model house kit, and both girl did skirts. They have BIG plans for this year though!!!! For homechooling, we use multiple curriculum. I'd be happy to talk with her if she wants someone to chat with! Isn't it crazy that we have less than 100 days left until Christmas??? I have so much to do, lol

Hi Joyce!!! I am still getting food out of our garden as well, and am thrilled about that!!! I have zucchini coming out of my eye balls! But I have found that I can spiralize it and then dehydrate it... that has been working great! How wonderful it must have been to get away with your hubby - and even better that it was overseas! Where did you guys go? I'm ure your kids will love the co-op!

I'm excited - I jut got the news that it is time to put in my order for apples :) I LOVE processing apples!! Now to just figure out how m1any I want.... I'm thinking eight bushels may be too many, hahahaha

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2018 :  06:41:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon I've looked into 4H for us as well, but I've been nervous to take the plunge. I've hardly done any canning or preserving this year. The only thing I've done is make sauerkraut. We had so many tomato plants but they didn't produce very well. The cherry tomatoes did, and Jason used them for salad but the romas and the other varieties we had were a disappointment. I thought it was my failure as a gardener (it does not come naturally to me), but my friend in town and Jason's dad said that their tomatoes were disappointing as well.

We usually get apples from Jason's dad but this is an off year for his apples so I'm going to take the kids apple picking at an orchard nearby instead. I'll probably make apple butter, and store the rest for the winter. We did that last year and we had apples for months. It was nice not to have to buy them all the time. I did get some concord grapes that I'm going to make jam from also.

We're on our third week of school and I feel pretty organized this year. I'm so glad I took all the time this summer to get everything ready. It's made everything so much easier. We took a break from piano last year but the older ones are starting it again next week. Kilian might just do guitar. We still haven't decided.

It's so good to hear how everyone is doing!

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2018 :  07:31:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Erin :) 4H has definitely been a plunge for us, with a great big splash, but it has been great! Tonight is a dance committee meeting that of course my kids are in (I think they signed up for EVERY committee), but this is one of our fundraisers... I just placed our order for apples. They won't be in until the end of October or beginning of November, so I have some time to prepare, hahahaha. I really want to try to buy some tomatoes in bulk! I hear you on them not doing so well! We haven't done too bad, but most of ours are indeterminate, so it is hard to get enough to do anything with!

Sounds like music lessons are a big thing this year! Will should be starting his violin lessons soon, and Sam her flute lessons.

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2018 :  07:39:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone struggling with believing that September is almost gone already???? We got our first snow this morning. Not much, but enough to cover everything with a beautiful layer of white. But my poor garden :'( Time to move into winter mode I guess!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2018 :  07:51:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Snow already? Lucky you! We are in desperate need of rain...we haven't had any measurable rain since last March.We are all praying for LOTS of rain and snow this fall and winter. Is it just me or do any of you else seem to get more done when the weather is cool and rainy?

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Sep 29 2018 :  06:23:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness, snow already! That's wild. I've definitely been feeling the fall season over here, but no hint of snow.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic School Days of September Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page