Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 Community Action Badge...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Community Action Badge... Next Topic  

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  1:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I finally decided to go through my badge binder and apply for the badges I've earned but never applied for, with one being the Community Action Badge. One of the major issues here in our area is suicide, with bullying being a large culprit. After doing some digging, I have a better understanding of why this is so prevalent...

Our area is largely a mining community. Parents are working odd shifts and schedules. The pay is great, but often times the money is spent on "toys" like 4 wheelers and "recreational" drugs and alcohol. The children are then exposed to this lifestyle and are left to their own devices. Between this and having "nothing else to do," bullying occurs. In turn, the children are left feeling worthless... Suicide seems to be the only answer to end the pain.

The church we are members of is very active in outreach programs. These programs not only give the children/teens something to do, but also give them value. They are loved on and are told that God loves them so much that Jesus died on the cross for them! By bringing the kids in, and getting them involved, parents start attending.

Two of the outreach programs I have been a part of is Vacation Bible School during the Summer and Nursery throughout the year. Vacation Bible School is obviously an outreach program for the children. I taught/led the craft section which I absolutely loved. The majority of the children in the program were not from our church but rather from the community. Most of them just wanted attention and to be loved on! Nursery is at first thought to be geared for young children, which it is, but it is also for the adults!!! By taking care of the young children in nursery, the parents are then able to attend the services without worrying about the distraction of changing diapers and entertaining their youngsters. The parents then are able to learn the same truths - that God loves them, that they are valued, that there is a better way, and there is HOPE!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

895 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
895 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  2:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon - thanks so much for sharing! Such encouragement to hear of these outreaches and the HOPE in this community!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

Sobyn
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Sabrina

Germany
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  5:52:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome job Shannon!! I know from experience how difficult, under appreciated and wonderful these jobs can be!!!

Sabrina

Farmgirl Sister #3275
February 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
http://kidscrunchandchrist.com
*Journal Through The Bible*The Life Giving Home Study*Homemaker's Bookclub*
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4057 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4057 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2018 :  5:53:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shannon, you have brought tears to my with your story and the outreach programs. Yes, thank you for sharing! I knew about the suicides from you but not about the reasons why. Our problem in two towns over which is a lot bigger town than little Florissant which you blink you missed it has a big heroin problem. I have talked to a mother in the community whose daughter was in rehab for her heroin addiction 3 times. It is adults distributing and selling it to our children. They have broken up a couple of heroin rings but it continues to be a big problem, they are bringing it in from the big city. So sad!
I know that every community has there problems but why please can any tell me why do they have to take our children and abuse them with drugs and other real bad things, why our precious children. I do not understand and never will and guess it is because it is so easy. But, our community and churches work together to help and take care of our children. Living in small towns there is nothing for our young people to do and they are bored. Like you said Shannon suicides from feeling overwhelmed and alone! Sorry it is just that I worry so about our children.
You gals would be surprised to know that I am going on my 6th year with MJF and have only two badges, I tell you honestly I just can not find the time, I start them but can not seem to finish. So, with all this said I am looking forward to working on monthly badges with my Wildflower HenHouse.
Thanks for listening.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Farmgirl if the Month for:
September 2012, February 2018 and September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains and the Ocean.” Lord Bryon
When I am old I am wearing Purple. I am Old!!

Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Community Action Badge... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page