Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Apple testing!! Any volunteer???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Apple testing!! Any volunteer??? Next Topic  

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  11:45:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you all know, I am crazy over Apple anything and I found these new apples in the grocery store that I wanted to share. The red one is called "Smitten" and the yellow one is called "Lemonade". Delicious!! The yellow one definitely has a hint of lemon and is sweet and crunchy. The red one is also sweet, crunch and juicy. Both are from New Zealand and happen to be on sale for $1.99/pound which is pretty good these days here in Florida. While I am not crazy about buying apples from half way around the world, the current US cold storage apples are pretty tasteless and some even spoiled on the inside and often mushy.

See that little basket in the background?? I made it yesterday afternoon. About 30 years ago, I made a few different baskets but then just didn't have the time as the girls grew and life got so busy. Anyway, I recently purchased a few supplies and a pattern to make a simple basket again and tried my luck out yesterday. While it turned out OK, the inside shows where I need to do a few things differently. Anyway, I used the red reeds and plan to turn it into an apple basket of some kind.

Finally, about 10 years ago, I created my own flavored coffee blend called "Warm Apple Pie". It is created from mixing different coffee beans in specific proportions to create what is supposed to taste like biting into a warm apple pie slice. The one main flavored bean that I always used is no longer made so now I have tried to create the same flavor with two other flavored beans. All total there is a mix of 4 different beans in today's mixture: two unflavored and two flavored.

Honestly, I can't remember how the original mix tasted, but I think this one is pretty close.

Who likes flavored coffee and would like to be my taste tester this year? Let me know and I will draw a name out and send this little pack along for you to taste and send me a critique.

As a pre-view....Don't forget that September is our annual Apple Festival at MJF with September 24 as our Apple Pie Sunday celebration! While the summer heat rages on, it is a perfect time to dream about what you would like to do this year to celebrate apple season. There are endless pie, cakes, canned applesauce and butter, and quick bread recipes to enjoy! What will be on your list of new things to try?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  12:31:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie I would love to be a tester but alas I must pass because I no longer am able to drink coffee.

Come Sept I hope to can something apple. Will look for a special recipe.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  3:02:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to test apples! Please add me to the list.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  4:52:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, this test is for the coffee. Do you want to be in the pool to test the coffee?? To clarify, I am not sending the apples.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  5:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I understand about no apples. Can the coffee be iced?

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  6:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, please put my name in the drawing. Sometimes I think the aroma is what gets me hooked on a new coffee.
Apple oatmeal was good yesterday. Apple coffee...yummmmmmmmmmy? Sounds like fun to try it out. Thanks.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Jul 11 2017 6:05:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  6:04:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, I would love to be put in the hat for a drawing :)! I was blessed several years ago to get a small pkg of you apple pie coffee. Oh my yum!!! :)
Love your little basket - looks perfect to me!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2017 :  8:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The recliner is my nest when I need to be more upright. It is better tonight. Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. I love y'all.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  09:55:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since only three people signed up to be taste volunteers, I decided that all of you will get a sample: Linda, Ruth, and Marilyn. I will get these samples out to you in the morning or maybe this afternoon and then you can let me know your verdict.

Thank-you all of for volunteering and I want a good critique. If you think it is too bitter or has too much of one flavor over another, I want to know your thoughts. Here is what components are in the mix: French Roast, Columbian, Caramel Vanilla, and a small amount of Cinnamon Hazelnut.

Let me know!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 12 2017 :  2:45:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. I will watch my mail box. Thanks Winnie.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2017 :  6:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Winnie, I have not been on the computer, and was so surprised today when hubby brought in a package from you - Yay! It smells amazing. I will give it a taste test in the morning, probably won't be able to post anything till sometime Monday. Busy day tomorrow. One grandson, Allen is to be Ordained in Gainesville, GA at 10:45 in the morning. Then at 4:00 pm 100 miles away, we are having a send-off party for our grandson -in-love (Dustin) who will be deploying to Afghanastan in September, or right now that is his leave date. They are currently stationed in Anchorage, AK, but are here on leave, then a three hour drive home tomorrow night!
I was making Strawberry Rhubarb pie for Dustin (his very favorite) when Dave brought the mail in :)! Happy Dance!! Then I made a fresh peach cobbler, which I just took out of the oven. I'm ready for bed, right after the shower! Thanks again, Hugs

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2017 :  6:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie - I just wanted to say that I thought it was super sweet of you to send coffee to all three of the ladies!!! I'm sure they will enjoy it <3

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/

Edited by - hudsonsinaf on Jul 17 2017 12:27:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - Jul 15 2017 :  7:52:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that was a great idea too Winnie, I will be watching for the taste results.

hugs

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2017 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Morning Winnie, Thanks again for the coffee :)! I have had it the last two mornings and have really enjoyed it. I'm not a coffee expert, but do know what I like and don't like. And I really like this. I make my coffee pretty weak, which is the way I like it. Too much caffeine is not my friend either. Can I taste Apple Pie? Not really sure, but get a hint of that taste, if that makes sense. Hope that helps you a little! What do you think about it? It will be interesting to see what the others report..
Thanks again,
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2017 :  10:28:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Ruth for your taste test on my coffee blend. I appreciate your honesty and comments. Yes, it doesn't really taste like pie, but somehow the combination reminds me of hot apple pie. It is all purely subjective too. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed it since you also enjoyed the batch that was made several years ago with different beans. My goal here is to make a blend that people find different and pleasing and is not too bitter or too heavy on a specific flavor like Hazelnut which can be overpowering.

I am looking forward to what Linda an Marilyn think. Stay tuned!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2017 :  9:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, my husband went to the post office today to get a package. It was your coffee. It smells amazing. We will try it tomorrow. Then I will tell you what I think, but judging from the smell...it will taste wonderful.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2017 :  4:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, we enjoyed your coffee. I found the aroma wonderfully captivating. It was my first flavored coffee in months. It reminded me so much of autumn. Close your eyes and wish for crisp autumn mornings. I would not say it tasted like Apple pie but it tasted like autumn, my favorite season...and that is also apple season. Thanks for allowing me to try it. Hugs.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - Jul 21 2017 :  06:33:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank-you Marilyn for your positive taste test results!! I am happy to learn that you and hubby both enjoyed the mix. I do think it is hard to get that apple pie taste result without using some sort of artificial apple flavoring, which I am opposed to using. But you are right, it is the cinnamon , can't put my finger on it taste, that brings to mind the idea of Fall. I agree that the scent is what captures your first sense response. They say that a pleasing taste begins with how something smells because smell and taste results are connected in the brain.

So far, two out of three give positive remarks. Now to see what Linda experiences. This has been fun!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Apple testing!! Any volunteer??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page