GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  09:51:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
June is Dairy Month, Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Month, and National Safety Month...
Farm Kitchen: Cheesemaking
Farm Kitchen: Know Your Food
Outpost: First Aid

If you don't have the "Know Your Food" badges, I encourage you to work on the Beginner Badge. I would love it if we could connect a couple times of week, and share our food journals with each other - any interesting tidbits etc. from reading labels, where our food is grown, and also a place to discuss our book "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle".

If you don't have the "Cheesemaking" badges, I would encourage you to work on the Beginner and possibly the Intermediate level. For beginner, make a yogurt or buttermilk and share about proper milk handling, good aseptic technique with the starter and proper temperature control on here, if you'd like!

If you don't have the "First Aid" badges, let's do the Beginner, and if possible, Intermediate badges. Let's share what we are putting in our first-aid kits, and when we plan to take our first-aid course.

Looking forward to working on these!!

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2017 :  10:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in! Those sound like excellent talking points, Joyce!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2017 :  03:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How are the badges coming along?

One thing I found out this week through my food journal - is the garlic that comes our way from China. I haven't bought it yet (it's in the grocery store) as I thought it odd that our province would try to sell garlic from China when we have a wonderful garlic farm right here on our island! Anyway, I found out that the garlic is grown in human feces, and that's why they cut a whole into the garlic - to make sure all feces are removed. Considering we carry diseases, the potential of getting ill would be quite high.

I made buttermilk - and I will share more about that next week, hopefully.

As for the first aid, I plan to take an online course, as I'm not able to take one locally.

I'm away for a week, so I'll check in again at the end of the month to see how everyone is doing :)

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2017 :  08:02:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh my goodness Joyce! I can't believe that about the garlic! It's so scary the way food is handled and grown these days. Honey is another one that I think is so weird. That most of it isn't really honey, and whatever is passed off as "honey" many times comes from multiple South American countries. I'm lucky that there is a lady in our church that has a honey farm connection that's local, and I can just buy honey from her.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  03:36:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Erin. Honey is a ore scary one. I really hope we can grow all our own food this year, as it is too scary going to the grocery store. How did everyone do on there badges for June? I will post in the next day or so for July.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  07:38:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My problem with the badges right now is that I don't have time to sit down and write it out and take pictures. The only thing I need to do for Know Your Food is the sprouting. I've read the book, kept a food journal, we eat lots of fruit and veggies, and I don't buy processed food. Same with the cheesemaking. I have made yogurt (although I do not do it regularly). I do need to put together some first aid kits. That I really should do. We aren't terribly lacking in this area, but it would be better to be more organized. I'm going to take a look at the badges for July and see if I feel I can commit to them. You're still following Shannon's outline for the rest of the year right Joyce?

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2017 :  09:10:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am, Erin.