Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  10:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have any of you ever participated in making a prayer flag? I learned about it last week in our knitting group. One of our ladies has had a recurrence of her breast cancer and is not able to attend the group at the moment. So, another lady came up with the idea that we make her a prayer flag from all of us. Essentially, each person makes a panel and they are all strung together to form a bunting that can be placed anywhere.

This weekend, I worked on my panel and here is what I came up with.

Each person can use whatever colors, designs and embellishments they choose. I am excited to see how it will all work out when we are done.

If you have made one of these, I would love to hear about your project. This was totally new to me but I love the idea!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  12:26:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Winnie, will you sew all of your individual pieses together, similar to a quilt, then give it to your friend? I have never seen one but your square is cute. It is a neat idea.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  1:02:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn, as I understand it, you thread some rope or heavy string through the opening which is on the top of this panel and then each panel is spaced along the rope to form a bunting that you hang in a window or on a fireplace. Each individual flag hangs separate along the roping and forms this adorable bunting with individual panels from each person. On my panel, I have turned down 1 inch at the top and stitched it. This makes the opening for a roping or heaving string to be run through each panel to form, the bunting.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  1:17:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty prayer flag, Winnie.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  3:21:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The children and I made a prayer flag bunting a couple years ago when reading "Prayer for a Child" - a FIAR book. We gave ours to the "grandmother" we adopted from the nursing home. I'm hoping to do that book again this year, so perhaps we will make another. Ours wasn't nearly as gorgeous as yours Winnie, but rather made primarily by the kids, but we loved it!!!

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  5:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I love your prayer flag pennant, Winnie. What size is it? I'm sure your friend will love it!

My brother had a memorial event for his wife several months after she passed away. (This was many years ago.) He asked me if I would make some pennant pieces that people could sign to make a prayer flag banner. I ask for colors he wanted and size. I made over 100 banner pieces, each had a sleeve-pocket on the top so they could string them on a rope. As people arrived, they each wrote a message and signed a flag. When there were enough someone started stringing them onto the rope. When that was long enough, they strung it up. When the day was done, there were 3 or 4 (I can't remember) LONG banners strung up around his property. He kept them up for quite a while. It was quite a banner.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  6:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Winnie.
Linda that was quite a banner of love.
Shannon, I know the adopted grandmother loved the kids banner.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6082 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6082 Posts

Posted - May 28 2017 :  7:29:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie that is a really nice idea. Prayer flags would be nice to do.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3528 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3528 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  06:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, our pieces are 8" long x 6 " wide so that when you turn down 1" at the top to use for deeding a rope through, you have a 7 6 " banner. Your banners for your brother's memorial sound just so sweet!! I know they were beautiful with all of the notes of love and caring from family and friends too. Shannon, I bet your nursing home recipient was very touched and pleased to receive the love banner that your children created too.

It seems like this project has so many possibilities for creation and end up making such a lovely and meaningful gift. I am so happy that I get to be part of a prayer banner effort for our knitting group friend.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

871 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
871 Posts

Posted - May 29 2017 :  3:50:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is so pretty! I have never heard of a Prayer Flag, but love the idea. I can see so many possibilities! Thanks for sharing

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

sweettea59
True Blue Farmgirl

1269 Posts

Sherry
Longview Texas
USA
1269 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  7:38:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie love your Prayer Flag, what a great idea. I'm sure it would brighten anyone's day. Linda what a lovely idea for your brother. Shannon that was a fun and thoughtful thing for your children to do, I would have loved to seen it. Thanks for sharing Winnie.

Farmgirl Hugs & May all your Wishes come true.
Sherry
Farmgirl #2215
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 31 2017 :  7:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your prayer flag is so hopeful Winnie. I would love to do this too. Lots of us out there needing prayers.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Prayer Flags Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page