Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  06:44:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME BEGINS! Set your clocks forward one hour.

I did not know that Daylight Savings Time began in 1918 with WWI as a means of saving heating fuel like coal for the war effort. Did you know?

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  06:47:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not know that either, Winnie.
That was back when people pulled together for America. People cared about each other. They were not as self centered as some people are now. Can you imagine our younger population being told that rationing was about to begin. Gasoline stamps, sugar stamps, no new tires! They would really have tantrums.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Mar 11 2017 06:52:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  07:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a bill pending in our Texas congress to do away with it. This could be the last year for it here. One can only hope.

I know Arizona does not have it. Are there other states?

Marilyn, it is sad our children are growing up with no sense of community much less our nation.

I have a nephew who lives in Dallas and has little spare money but he wanted to help the homeless in his area. He made peanut butter sandwiches and offered them to two men. One refused and only wanted money. The other threw his on the ground and also wanted money. Michael said he only had a dollar and the man said it wasn't enough. So what does that tell a young man wanting to help? My sister Betty, his grandmother, told him if he still wanted to help after his experience to donate to the Salvation Army soup kitchen.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3529 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3529 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  10:24:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am guessing that Dallas, like Gainesville where I live, struggles with large populations of homeless who suffer from years of drug addiction. Most cities cannot afford rehab programs and many insurance programs offer limited or no coverage for rehab therapy. In addition, many addicts do not have health insurance. As a result, most begging is done for money for drugs and not food. Cities and communities have done great work to supplement the problem of hunger and most homeless are able to find meals in soup kitchens or food pantries. It is costly to rehabilitate addicts, whether they are poor or wealthy. We have easy access to opioids, heroine , and other cheap drugs like methanphetamine in almost every city of our country. Unless we as a nation are willing to put money into helping the core of the homeless issues, we will never be able to help them get the help they desperately need. From being in healthcare for 34 years, people would be surprised at the number of wealthy people who enter drug treatment facilities due to drug addiction. Addiction crosses all socioeconomic layers. Currently, it is only the wealthy or those with a good insurance policy who can afford the long and costly process of kicking drugs. The rest are left to fend for themselves which means just more years of chronic drug abuse. It is so very, very sad that we as a nation have never supported or demanded drug therapy as part of our insurance coverages and for those who are the most vulnerable. We are ready to support cancer therapy but refuse to support drug addiction that takes the lives of children and adults every day.

Sorry for my rant here on drugs but our community struggles a lot with this issue. Because Florida has such mild weather and winters, we have a huge homeless population here so it is always a problem that this community struggles to make better. It is a tough thing to fix and expensive. We are trying to do more with a new facility that has city/county and state/private funding to run. The place is only two years old, but there have been some successes and hope. There is still much more to do so the work continues with the help of the city police, volunteers, donations, and a group of doctors and health care providers who run free clinics once a week to treat what they can.

Sara, I think your sister had the right suggestion that donations to the Salvation Army are the best way to help. They know and work with these people and are able to use funding to extend help and support the community efforts of the homeless. Your nephew was acting from the generosity of his heart. While he felt under appreciated, the experience was a good opportunity to get a first hand view of how difficult this issue really is. His generation will hopefully be able to do more to help homeless people and work on the efforts that are currently in place.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

darlenelovesart
True Blue Farmgirl

6088 Posts

darlene
Loleta California
USA
6088 Posts

Posted - Mar 11 2017 :  2:08:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow how sad Sara, I saw a homeless man once and he had his dog and cat with him so I told him I would bring some food for them all. I went shopping for them all and just as I got to where he was sitting, I was in my car. He was sitting by the driveway out to the street and pulled out a big wad of money, I had second thoughts but still gave him the food. He had more money than I did. It really makes you think...Our Salvation Army moved out of the area years ago. We have odd Second hand stores here now and a rescue mission. but that is all. I do miss the Salvation Army and Good Will Stores. They still ring their bells here at Christmas though.

Farmgirl # 4943

Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything.
Tell God what you need, and thank him for what he has done.
Philippians 4:6

Just follow God unquestioningly.
Because you love Him so, for if you trust His judgment there is nothing you need to know.
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Dont forget tonight.... Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page