Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 Apiarist - busy as a Bee & sweet as Honey!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Apiarist - busy as a Bee & sweet as Honey! Next Topic  

ceridwen
True Blue Farmgirl

2087 Posts

Carole
Champlain New York
USA
2087 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  06:43:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone,

With Denise's recent Bee & Honey swap (what a great idea) I thought I would start a thread on the subject!

I have been interested in beekeeping for a while and have thought of taking a class on the subject at Cornell University, but our zoning specifically states that we cannot participate in apiculture. I do dream of moving to a place where agriculture, in all forms, are permitted.

We have an apple orchard (Chazy orchard http://www.chazy.com/) eight (8) miles down the road from us that employs bee hives. In the spring, you'll see hives all in rows! I'm reluctant to purchase their honey because they use a lot of pesticides.

Information on apples:

I didn't know this but, a customer of mine who operates an apple orchard told me that they use a special chemical to reduce the amount of blossoms on a tree. This allows the tree to produce large apples. She proceeded to tell and showed me her hands; they were raw from cutting blossoms. Some of the trees actually developed an immunity to the chemical, so she has to cut the blossoms by hand!

Back to bees:

Are any of you beekeepers? Perhaps you have friends or family members that do? Any books that you would recommend?

Please share your experience and knowledge, there is so much to learn! I enjoy learning!

Oh, I only buy somewhat local honey and will never buy honey produced outside of Canada and United States.

Carole
Farmgirl Sister 3610 - Nov 7/2011
http://www.carolesquiltingetc.com

Insanity: Doing the same thing over & over again & expecting different results ~ Albert Einstein

Edited by - ceridwen on Feb 01 2017 09:33:48 AM

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9579 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9579 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  09:02:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Carole,
My brother was a beekeeper at one time, when he lived in Canada. They lived in New Castle and had a place on Rice Lake. We used to go visit and stay at the lake.
He had quite the operation. His hives were in a field across from their house. He wrote a honey recipe book and had it printed to give out to his customers. He is also a Chef so that was a help I'm sure with the book.

We need to cut our blossoms back this year on our peach and apple trees. Lots of orchards here. Mostly apples and peaches but we have one that also had cherries and pears.

My brother in law just started beekeeping. I will have to ask them if there are any books they would recommend.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2017 :  10:01:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are surrounded by a few small farms and 1 very large one, who grows cotton and corn. Last year, Mr. Horne the owner of the large farm hired a beekeeper. He brought in trays and trays of bees, set up his operation in the middle of one of the fields. It was so exciting to see the bee keeper in all his array tending the bees. People would stop and wait for him to come closer to the road and talk to him.
Sure enough all of us around the farmland too had more flowers and productive gardens last year! I loved hearing and seeing the bees again!!!

In 1987 the crop dusters use to fly over that farm, that stopped 10 years ago. Seems to be so much more awareness now of how serious saving our bees are!!

We have one Farm Bee keeper, who stills sells his honey at a stand by his Driveway. He still operates on the honor System, you take a jar, leave the money! Rarely, does anyone not pay! I really hated they did a story on him on the local news, for fear people would steal from him, but he lives out near Shelby Forrest State Park. Very little crime in that area, about 20 miles from my home.

Connie
Imagine....#3392

Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Apiarist - busy as a Bee & sweet as Honey! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page