Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  4:48:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With all the cold wet rain today. JT decided on his way home from work that he wanted breakfast for supper. So I made bacon, turkey for me, scrambled eggs and blueberry pancakes with some locally made blueberry syrup. It was an easy meal. Anyone else ever do that? Make breakfast foods for supper?

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Oct 16 2019 :  7:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When my ex was working swing shift the kids and I would have waffles or french toast for dinner.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  02:27:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love to have breakfast for supper. Since we have a smoothie in the mornings most days now, about once a week I fix breakfast in the evening.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  08:54:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes! Breakfast is good anytime of the day!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  09:00:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never liked breakfast for breakfast. I have it for lunch sometimes. Biscuits & gravy are always good for supper and when I do make it that's all I have.

Have veggies roasting in the oven - beets, carrots, onions, sweet potato, gold potatoes, and my home canned cannellini beans. Fresh herbs & EEVO - sage, rosemary, thyme, and Syrian oregano.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth

Edited by - YellowRose on Oct 17 2019 09:03:53 AM
Go to Top of Page

treelady
True Blue Farmgirl

1221 Posts

Julie
medina ND
USA
1221 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  09:39:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We love breakfast for any meal. With my chickens producing so well, we usually have an egg dish at least once a week for supper.

A little rain can straighten a flower stem. A little love can change a life.

Max Lucado
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  10:54:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a fan of traditional American breakfast -- the greasy eggs and meat kind. Biscuits and gravy are #1 followed by leftover pizza, cottage cheese and fruit, leftovers. I never used to eat breakfast at all but now I have to take pills in the morning that require eating first.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  12:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I need a late morning pick me up or early lunch. Two hardboiled eggs, some simply fruit and some bacon not the spot. It takes about two minutes to prepare since it is all cooked ahead of time, in The fridge. If I want it warm just zap it for thirty seconds.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  2:03:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He went from breakfast last to pizza tonight. I was going to make spaghetti sauce with ground turkey and pasta. I'll keep that for another time. I'll use the ground turkey for chili done in the crockpot tomorrow.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  2:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I just have a big bowl of oatmeal for dinner since we have our bigger meal at noon.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Oct 17 2019 :  4:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Debbie, I wish that was how we did our big meal. The closer to evening the smaller the meal. They say it's better to eat that way.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2019 :  07:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also love breakfast for dinner!! There are so many yummy possibilities for breakfast and it is always a satisfying meal.

I have also been using a recipe I found in an old Gooseberry Patch Fall cookbook for a sweet potato/apple casserole. As usual, I fiddle with ingredients to suit my taste and it makes an awesome side dish. I took one large sweet potato, peeled and slice in small chunks, two firm tart apples, chopped in about same size as sweet potato, a handful of fresh cranberries, I Tblsp melted butter, i/4 tsp pumpkin pie spice, 1 tblsp flour and about 2/3 cup apple cider. I mixed it all up and added 2 tbsp molasses and baked covered in the oven for about 40 minutes at 350. It turned our delicious, not sickening sweet, and the flour helped make the juices into a nice thick sauce. This morning, I added two heaping spoonfuls of the leftovers to my left over cold oatmeal, heated it up in the microwave, and drizzled another teaspoon of molasses over the hot cereal. I loved it! If you like sweet potatoes and apples, try this and add or subtract what you choose. In place of molasses, you could also use brown sugar, maple syrup or cane syrup. No apple cider? Use orange juice instead. No cranberries? Use dried or raisins instead. No pumpkin pie spice? Just cinnamon will do the trick. Like things more savory? Omit the sweetener and saute an onion in the butter before you add the other ingredients. This recipe is very flexible and easy to tailor to your taste.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2019 :  10:38:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds so good Winnie. Thanks!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  1:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, that sounds really good! I just bought a bag of sweet potatoes at Costco. I have never done that before. They are huge and deep orange and delicious! I think that I have been confusing yams and sweet potatoes at the grocery store. I could eat one of these every day...haha! They would be delicious with apples.
I loved the Gooseberry Patch catalog. I was so sad to see them not in business anymore.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  2:17:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today I made an Apple Brown Betty for our dessert. It was so good. I will make one again
We had Dried, Baby Lima beans. (When I was a kid my mother cooked a pot of Butterbeans almost every week... They are good, but I enjoy the smaller ones so much more.) My son loves them too...but not as much as pinto beans. He had requested that I cook some so I did. I also fixed some fried, steamed cabbage. Candied sweet potatoes were the next veggie...now Hadlee and her Bapa love them. As I handed the bowl to Hadlee, I said these are from a can...to which she said...They Are Not Real??? Funny thing, as soon as she had a little taste, then I heard these words come out of her mouth, "These are good, I need more." Our last veggie was broccoli, steamed with Mexi blend cheese over the top. We had some chicken strips for the meat. I should have made cornbread...but my son does not like cornbread...I don't know why? Anyway I always run out of time. Besides the dessert was baking in the toaster oven. In the last 25 years I have cooked on four different kitchen ranges. Each one ended up with oven problems...some due to lightening strikes. As I was cleaning the top and front of this fancy stove on Friday, I promised myself that I will never buy one of these again. So here is hoping that by this time next year, I have a cook top. Now that I have figured out that toaster ovens bake just fine...why should I spend a bunch of money on a new oven. Besides you do not need to preheat a toaster oven. Enough of my ramblings. Have a blessed evening my sweet sisters.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  2:51:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I make apple crisp a lot. Someday I'm going to figure out the difference between crisp and brown betty. I love it warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
When my kids were little they wouldn't eat lima beans but if I called them butter beans they would eat them right up. Same with tomato soup -- If I called it ketchup soup they ate it.
My kitchen had it's original 1950 Kenmore behemoth stove with griddle between the four burners, huge oven, separate broiler, and separate rotisserie oven. It took up half the kitchen so when we remodeled 15 years ago we changed it for a modern stove. The new stove's oven stopped working 5 years ago and the repairman said it was too old to get replacement electronic parts. So we got another stove. With electronics, as we couldn't find one that was purely mechanical so it will probably go out sometime soon, too. Wish I'd kept the old stove.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24

Edited by - StitchinWitch on Oct 27 2019 2:57:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  4:16:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Judith, it is true about today's electronics. They don't last very long and when they fall apart, usually they recommend a new one. I understand how you wish you had your old stove. It sounds like a grand old stove and I bet it had all sorts of character. They just don't make them like that anymore.

I got back from Oklahoma today and hubby is off for a week at a friends cabin where a group of them go every fall to enjoy hiking and being in the woods. So, I made a small pot of homemade vegetable soup with left over fresh veggies in the fridge and added some barley to give it body. It tasted delicious and I will have plenty for lunches all week long. I never tire of homemade soups for lunch no matter what the weather.

Has anyone ever heard of Apple Molasses or tasted it? I read about it but I have never heard about it or know anyone else who has. This inquiring mind wants to track some down and give it a try!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  5:32:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last of the tomatoes! I am going to miss them!!Lily June wanted corn flake Chicken Tenders. Me and pops had some veggies too.
Connie
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9522 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9522 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  5:36:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie,
I've made that recipe from GBP book. They really love it here. I have all these little sticky tabs in my GBP books for all the keepers the hubby likes.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  7:36:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son ate spinach because of Popeye the Sailor man!
He ate broccoli because I bought the kind in a box. I bought it because the broccoli reminded me of trees. So my six year old son grew up eating trees with cheese! He still likes broccoli with cheese.But in his lunch box he likes broccoli crowns, cut into bite sized pieces, raw, sometimes with Ranch...mostly plain.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  8:46:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Today I baked some rolled-out oatmeal cookies and cut Halloween shapes - then my grandson, Richard, and I frosted some of them. He took over half of them home with him. I received the cookie cutters in the Halloween Kitchen swap on the MJF Swap page.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017

Edited by - quiltee on Oct 27 2019 8:47:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  9:11:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute cookies. I used to love to make rolled and cut out Christmas cookies, with my son and his cousins...then later with my grand kids. Perhaps that would be fun this year. After the kids finish the fall semester. Dec. 7th.
Boy you and Richard are making memories. That is exciting.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

1272 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
1272 Posts

Posted - Oct 27 2019 :  9:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love those cookies! I haven't done decorated cookies in a long time but I sure used to make a lot during my ten years as room mother.

Judith

Happiness is Homemade
FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Oct 28 2019 :  04:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother was a room mother too. She made cookies and each child got a cookie with their name on it as well as a decorated cookie to fit the holiday. I made and sent cookies for my son's parties, because I was teaching...I could not room mother for him.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2703 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2703 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2019 :  2:04:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cute cookies, Linda!
I just got my kitchen cleaned up for the day. I made a crockpot full of stew and homemade bread. I'm taking most of the stew and a loaf of bread over to a neighbor. We have lived near him for over 30 years. His wife started having dementia about 8 years ago and has been going down hill slowly. She is now at home and hospice has been called in to help. He has been taking care of her all this time and has been doing such a sweet job of it. He finally got some extra help this past month, thank goodness. I see him every Sunday and can see how tired he is getting. I've been trying to send over food, I figure it's something I can do to help him.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
January 2020 FGOTM
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page