Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Scattered Prairie Gals
 Project Discussions
 What's Going on in Your Kitchen?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic
Page: of 63

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  06:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, that's a good looking pumpkin and it must taste just as good. Your pumpkin bread looks tasty - fall saucer is neat.

Earlier I had posted about the two bags of new white potatoes I was given. Last batch is in the slowcooker. Have cooked, eaten, given away, and frozen two other batches. Cooked them on high for 2 1/2 hours with a little EVOO, salt & pepper, and fresh oregano and chives. The potatoes are very good cooked in slowcooker and so easy.

FarmGirl Sister#6034 8/25/14
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  06:58:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Winnie, that is a cute pie!
Linda my numbers jelly didn't set the first time so I just cooked it again with another pkg. of pectin. Came out fine.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  07:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I finally tasted my jelly and it seems to be pretty well jelled. A little soft, but it still works. And it taste good.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  07:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes it takes a bit to set up.
Glad it came out well Linda.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  07:23:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, happy your jelly has set. Now to enjoy it.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2018 :  12:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yay, Linda!! Glad your jelly is still really good. Enjoy using it and sharing with others.

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  6:32:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara, remember when you were telling us about your electric pressure cooker? Well, My husband gave me one for Christmas and after I got over my fear...it is so nice. And because I cook in mine several times a week, we decided to go on and order one for our daughter in law for Christmas. She has tasted several things I have cooked in mine and said they were good. Mine has a stew setting that allows you to set it for about 50 minutes. Since I began using that things have been great.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  6:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TexasGran

Sara, remember when you were telling us about your electric pressure cooker? Well, My husband gave me one for Christmas and after I got over my fear...it is so nice. And because I cook in mine several times a week, we decided to go on and order one for our daughter in law for Christmas. She has tasted several things I have cooked in mine and said they were good. Mine has a stew setting that allows you to set it for about 50 minutes. Since I began using that things have been great.
So thanks to you, our kitchen is cooler and we are eating some yummy stuff.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2018 :  8:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marilyn glad you glad it.

Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2018 :  4:42:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I Cat Sat for my neighbors while they went to Nebraska for their High School reunion and they brought me back Corn straight from the field! it was so good! Sweet! Lily June loved it too! I got more in the freezer! Spoils you! The corn here is not that good!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2018 :  09:18:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lily June is lovin' that corn! As a kid, every summer at the end of our two weeks at grandma's house we three kids would all get in the back seat and then came the tow-sack half full of roasting ears! My little brothers fav!!! Yum!!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2018 :  10:03:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been spending time on Pinterest looking for freezer meals to make for the two of us. My daughter had some good ones on her board so I made a few of those and just halved the recipe. I like something I can throw in the crock pot on cool rainy days like this and it will be ready when JT gets home from work. Plus, I can get things done in the house and office without having to stop and make a meal. I did some chicken recipes as well as beef and burger. I also found one for a hearty chicken soup. I did as much as I could with what I bought last week at the grocery and my granddaughter helped me chop and slice things and clean up. She loves to be in the kitchen. I will try to do some each week and then maybe I can get a bit ahead in the freezer being stocked. I also did some larger batches for when we have family here and we have plans for the day. No need to run home to start a meal because it will be ready. Has anyone else ever done meals ahead like that?

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  04:09:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My husband bought me a Power Cooker electric pressure cooker for Christmas last year. I've cooked roast, beef ribs, pinto beans, pork tenderloin, etc. But girls let me tell you this is the "BESTEST" way to boil eggs ever! My cooker did not come with lots of extras but I improvised and put my veggie steamer basket in the cooker. Of course it sort of unfolds partially. Then I added the 1 cup of water and my eggs. Yesterday I cooked 16 eggs. My cooker has a rice setting, ten minutes, that is its shortest time. But the eggs are perfect. It takes a few minutes to build up pressure, then after cooking allow the cooker to rest five minutes, then I release the steam, open the lid, remove the pot of eggs and set it in the sink, turn on the cold water. Then you just give each egg a tap tap and the peel comes off so easily. I am amazed every time I do this! Every egg is perfect!
Next I want to try the little cheese cake that I watched a video about making on you tube.

Denise, yes I have done some freezer meals. More so when I was working full time or when I was working and my husband and son were working here or next door. Rather than pack a lunch for them just leave a crock pot meal.
In the winter soups, stews, chicken and dumplings, YUM!!
We once had a neighbor who was an accountant for a firm in town. We lived 20 miles north of town, but every single morning she filled her crock pot, turned it on and left for work. That evening her family had a salad, and whatever she had in the crock pot. By 7pm she was in bed reading a book, and her kitchen was spotless.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  11:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess that is sort of what I am aiming for Marilyn. Something so clean up is easy and quick. That way I have time for other things. I just threw a meatloaf together to pop in the oven before the guys get home. Today I have some time. Soup or stew would probably have been a better choice because it is cold and rainy but this will be on the table when they come in. Going to add a few sweet potatoes and a green veggie.

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2459 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
2459 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  11:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use liners in my slow cooker so there's no cleanup unless I forget and use a folk. Did that a couple of times and poked holes in liner.

The liners can be used in the oven too up to 400 degrees. I'm all about little or no cleanup.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy

9518 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9518 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  11:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sara,
My daughter recently put me on to those and I love them. I too have the fork dilemma sometimes. LOL

Denise~~

Sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  12:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My kitchen is buzzing away.... Right now I have kombucha going, as well as applesauce cooking down on the stove. Once I get it fairly cooked, I'll can it. Dinner is a chicken pot pie... Bringing one to our neighbors as well :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  12:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yum, YUM ladies!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2702 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2702 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  2:49:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's that fun time of year to spend hours in the kitchen baking and cooking! I get so much more done when the weather turns cooler outside.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2018 :  3:38:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here! Cook, bake, share!

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

3520 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
3520 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  4:46:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, Lily June is adorable enjoying that ear of corn!! Hehehe, Farmgirls.....I am still stuck on Apples!! Some of the grocery stores here have been getting delicious apples from update New York and I have been in heaven!! Apples cooked, raw, in salads, in a bowl on the table...I never tire of all the different kinds and that first bite into a juicy and sweet one!!

Winnie Nielsen #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Girl of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  6:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love apples too!
My husband's grandmother made the best salad with apples, diced with the peel on,and walnuts chopped. She made the dressing ahead of time, because it had to be cooked and cooled. It had sugar, cornstarch (if I remember correctly) and Apple cider vinegar in it.
Sadly no one in my family will touch it but me, so it is a very rare treat.

Texasgran

Edited by - TexasGran on Nov 07 2018 6:31:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

Killarney
True Blue Farmgirl

2114 Posts

Connie
Arlington TN
USA
2114 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  6:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Busy Kitchens!!
Thank you Winnie!
Marilyn, I have been checking out the new pressure cookers.
My neighbor brought over some Grape Salad, I never had it before ,so good!! she said google the recipe that's where she got it. most all are the same. I loved it. I may make it for Thanksgiving.

Debbie, me too, when it's cool, I love to bake!! It going to freeze here Friday night, next Monday going down to 27??? crazy for us this early in November. We usually get temps like that in January!

Connie
Go to Top of Page

TexasGran
True Blue Farmgirl

5777 Posts

Marilyn
Stephenville Texas
USA
5777 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2018 :  7:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Connie, we purchased an Insta pot on line, back in July to give our daughter in law for Christmas. It was on sale, a very good buy. My rice cooking time is 10 minutes. That is really too long for boiled eggs but they are yummy still. I think other cookers may have shorter times.

Texasgran
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

4742 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
4742 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2018 :  08:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I have an electric pressure cooker that I got when Ed's oldest sister passed away. She had bought it on HSN and never used it. I've only used it a couple times, but what I made was delicious. I need to keep it out on the counter so I USE it more.

Grape salad sounds good - I may have to google it.

I use my crock pot a LOT in the fall and winter. I love smeeling the foods as they cook.

Linda B
quiltee
Farmgirl #1919
FGOTM for August, 2015 and April, 2017
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 63 Project Discussions: Previous Topic What's Going on in Your Kitchen? Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page