Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Wildflower Farmgirls
 Project Discussions
 Why we use reusable shopping bags
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Why we use reusable shopping bags Next Topic  

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  2:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is for anyone who is participating in the bag swap to earn an expert badge for Shopping Green. Use this to post about why we should use reusable shopping bags whenever we shop. There will probably be some repeat ideas, and that's ok. Just make your own personal statement.

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016

GinghamGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Joyce
PE
Canada
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  2:57:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My biggest reason for why I use reusable shopping bags is because of plastic waste. The plastic is so so bad for our environment - it takes 500 years (some scientists believe 1000 years) for it to compost. I personally love my cute cloth bags to carry my groceries in, and for any shopping excursions. Each is different - and when they are hand made, I love the comments you get from people. My favourite bag is one I keep in my purse - it folds into a tiny little pillow-shaped pouch, that clips inside my purse. Anytime I'm out and about and I forget a bag and someone asks me do you need a bag - voila! I don't, because I have one tucked in there for just that purpose! I'm looking forward to hearing from other people what their ideas are.

Joyce Hein
Sister #6071

April 2016 Farmgirl of the Month
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
Scattered Prairie Hen Honcho

9472 Posts

Denise
Ohio
USA
9472 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2016 :  6:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My reasons for using reusable shopping bags is that the plastic is not like paper, it cannot biodegrade. Also they are flimsy and rip so easily. With a cloth bag if something happens to leak you can toss it in the washer and your ready to go again. I can't think of one good thing about disposing of plastic bags. I enjoy people asking about where I got my cute bags or "why do I use them when plastic is right there at the store and you can recycle them into garbage bags"? It gives me an opportunity to tell them how much better reusable bags are for our environment.

Denise~~

Sister #43

"I am a bookaholic with no desire to be cured."

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path"
Psalm 119:105

www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

notathreatinsight
True Blue Farmgirl

702 Posts

Erin
Monroeville IN
USA
702 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  03:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love using reusable shopping bags because they are more durable, more attractive, and safer for the environment than plastic bags. Plastic bags are not biodegradable. Most cities will not accept plastic grocery bags in their recycling program. There are some stores that have drop sites for recycling grocery bags, but the amount of energy used to recycle these bags almost doesn't make it worth the effort. The process also involves melting the bags, which releases toxins into the air.

I love adding new bags to my reusable bag collection from unique stores I find. I love looking for interesting designs and colors. I love using canvas bags at the grocery store to hold unbelievable amounts of heavy groceries that no plastic bag (or paper) would ever be able to hold. Reusable bags are the best choice, and you should always carry one with you! :)

- Erin - Sister # 3762
Farmgirl of the Month - March 2016
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot
True Blue Farmgirl

364 Posts

Judith
Nora Springs IA
USA
364 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  09:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love using and giving reusable shopping bags! I use them as gift bags for my family! My DIL has been crocheting string bags for me! I love taking them to farmers market. (I feel so European. lol)

I enjoy using them for their strength. I don not like the plastic bags ever since I saw a film of them piling up in the oceans, lakes, rivers and even small streams. What is up with human beings! They are not biodegradable. I've seen crafts recycling them. However, you have to collect soooo many.

I don't think its just a trend to use reusable bags. I think its becoming a way of life.

Farmgirl sister #3926

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the belief that something is more important than fear." Ambrose Red Moon
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

1846 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
1846 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2016 :  12:12:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay... I am going to be bluntly honest... I first started using reusable shopping bags for selfish reasons!!! We have a large family (7 children now) which means... large shopping trips! I had nowhere to put all those plastic bags, that tore half the time anyways! So then we switched to paper bags. But we live in the south... the Palmetto State... South Carolina. It is supposedly named for the Palmetto Tree, but we also have the... palmetto bug. This is nothing but a fancy way of saying cockroaches!!! These are not the "live in your house because it is unclean" cockroaches, but rather, they love wood... and boxes.. and.. you guessed it... paper bags. Did I mention these things fly? And will chase you? And that I am scared... more like terrified... of them? I think you get the picture :)

Now that we are using reusable shopping bags, I LOVE them! Not only are they way more cute, my kids can pack them and I can teach them at the same time how to be helpful to the environment. Oh - and the palmetto bugs do nt nest in them :)

~ Shannon, Sister #5349
Farmgirl of the Month January 2016
http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
True Blue Farmgirl

2695 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
2695 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2016 :  12:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lightbulb went off for me one day a year ago or so when I really noticed how many plastic bags the grocery store was sending home with me...especially when the clerks only want to put 2-3 items per bag...and I usually do my shopping twice a month!!! They really add up! Cloth bags make SO much more sense! You just keep them in the car where you have easy access to a bag when you need one. I love that you can just throw them in the washer and dryer and you're good to go again...and again...and again!
I really hate clutter!!!! And I love having a few bags when I need them and not a stack of paper bags or a BAG of plastic bags in my garage! I do still end up with a few plastic bags from the produce section but I now recycle them......I usually take them to the farmer's market. They are always wanting bags. And with 3 little grandsons, they come in handy for wet or muddy boots and clothes.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl Sister of the Year
January 2020 FGOTM
"Well behaved women seldom make history"...
Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Why we use reusable shopping bags Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page