ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  5:52:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To my FGSW Henhouse Chick Sisters: I'm sharing info with as as part of a requirement for the Putting Away for Winter Merit Badge. Thanks for listening!

I grew up on a farm where putting away for winter was the way of life. My mother was an expert at this and taught me as a teenager. It was something all of us had to do together to get the work done for our family of eight. Freezing, canning and drying produce is something I’ve done all my life and with the assistance of my daughter and husband. I also have my preferences for which process I use for different food items and much of that has been through experience by trying different methods. I prefer to and do freeze: summer squash/zucchini, either sliced or shredded; winter squash, usually precooked; corn, cut off of the cob; apples, shredded (with peel on); peas; beets and/or carrots, peeled and sliced. I also like to freeze applesauce and peaches, however I also water bath can them.

Drying produce or meats was not something my mother did, however, after I was married it is a method that my hubby and I use regularly. Our first experience was using homemade screens to dry grapes for making raisins. It was relatively successful but we prefer the electric dehydrators.

I have also used the tie-it-up-and-hang-to-dry method for herbs, which include lemon basil, rosemary, chocolate mint, savory, oregano, etc. and lavender from my garden, which, for the most part, works well for that. I’ve learned it’s important to keep an eye on this process. We researched dehydrators before purchasing and now own two that have several trays that work very well and get used a lot during harvest season. I prefer to and do dehydrate: tomatoes, sliced; cherries, pitted; apricot halves; apple slices; etc. Some favorite dishes to prepare include soup/stew using both frozen and dehydrated items, as well as sauces for pasta, pizza toppings, Mexican dishes and to include in casserole dishes. Fruit goes into compote, baked goods, etc.

My mother also taught me how to use a pressure canner and water bath process properly and which to use for what food items. She also taught me how to sterilize jars, prepare lids and check jars for nicks or cracks and to use only jars designed for this purpose. To this day people who come to visit see my shelves of canned goods in the utility room and have nice comments to make!

I have canned mincemeat made with venison but it is not something that we currently do and don’t really prefer to do that. We prefer to and do make venison, elk and/or beef jerky, usually the latter as we raise our own beef. I prefer to and do can: green beans or yellow wax beans; pears; applesauce; peaches; apricots; plums; jams and jellies, etc. I do can some tomatoes, but we prefer to dry tomatoes for most of our uses. I am very careful to use the proper method of pressure canning or water bath, with proper pressure and timing . . . VERY CAREFUL! I have also, when there was an abundance of tomatoes and time was an issue, frozen tomatoes whole to be used later in sauces, soups, stews, etc.

We very consistently prepare our meals and many dishes with a combination of our “put away” food items. My hubby is an excellent cook as well and we try to be creative with our recipes and will share with our family and friends the source of the ingredients and how they were preserved. We own two freezers and a vast pantry as well as the equipment to prepare and “put away!

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

living life: www.snippetscja.blogspot.com
"the Purple Thistle": www.ceejay48.etsy.com
from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

laurentany
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Laurie
Patchogue NY
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  6:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greatly enjoyed reading your story CJ! I always find it quite fascinating to hear the different ways that people are self sufficient. One thing I have never done is pressure can anything. I do plenty of water bath canning and freezing and some dehydrating too, but somehow the pressure canning has not been something I have tried (yet).
I look forward to learning more and more, and with the help of my farmgirl sisters, I am sure I will continue to expand my knowledge and try new things!
Hugs,

~Laurie
"Little Hen House on the Island"
Farmgirl Sister#1403

View my New Blog:
http://simplesuburbanpleasures.blogspot.com

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds that you plant.
~Robert Louis Stevenson
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

173 Posts

Diana
orofino ID
USA
173 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  06:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ how do you dry your tomatoes I can ours and have 40 some jars but would like a different method too. And then how do you re hydrate them for use?

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2014 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We slice the tomatoes to about 1/4 inch thick or so and just lay them on the dehydrator (American Harvest) trays, plug it in and let 'em dry. For a lot of recipes we don't rehydrate them, just crumble and toss in, however, you can soak them in olive oil or water to rehydrate them. We just put them in ziploc bags and toss the bags in the freezer. They don't HAVE to be in the freezer but it's an easy place to store them and know for sure they're okay. I don't think I'll ever can tomatoes again!
Hope that helps!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

living life: www.snippetscja.blogspot.com
"the Purple Thistle": www.ceejay48.etsy.com
from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

Edited by - ceejay48 on Mar 08 2014 07:49:47 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Putting Away for Winter Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly