Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirls Southwest
 Project Discussions
 Different Languages/Cultures
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Different Languages/Cultures Next Topic  

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2013 :  9:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi girls,
Just me sharing a bit with you in my attempt to earn the new LANGUAGES/CULTURES MERIT BADGES. I'm including SPANISH and SIGN LANGUAGE.

I live in an area where there is a heavy Spanish speaking (Hispanic) population and learning Spanish has been to my benefit, in addition to the fact that I find is to be a “beautiful” language. Because of my relationships with those of Hispanic ancestry I also found it interesting to learn more about their culture. I took Spanish classes in high school many years ago and have used it regularly most of my life.
I have a 39 year-old son who was born with Down Syndrome who is also hearing impaired. We learned when he was a youngster, before the age of 10 that he has a hearing loss. Thus began the audiology assessments, PE tube surgery, hearing aids and learning SIGN LANGUAGE, etc. My daughter learned sign language as a class in high school and, at the same time, I was self teaching myself sign language. She and I not only assisted my son in his language skills but also had fun with it, communicating “privately” with each other. I know much more than how to count to 10 and to speak traditional greetings.
In my pursuit of the Spanish language I did research and study with individuals that were my friends, colleagues, or co-workers who were born in Mexico and moved here. They had much to offer in helping me learn more and understand more about the language, the culture and celebrations, their families, and their heritage. We currently enjoy this kind of friendship with an older couple with whom we must speak Spanish, especially the woman. The man will communicate a little bit in English but she will not. But our relationship is an amazingly “communicative” one.

In learning more about SIGN LANGUAGE I have studied more about the renowned actress, Marlee Matlin and Sue Thomas, known for her work with the FBI. I enjoyed learning more about them and how they helped change attitudes toward individuals who are deaf and how they did not let their disability keep them from doing what they wanted to.
I continue to hone my skills in Spanish because of the demand for its use in my community. I don’t use Sign Language as much, but try to keep up with it, mostly in some communication with my son.

As far as I know there are not any particular holidays/celebrations associated with Sign Language. I have studied the celebrations and holidays of the Hispanic culture and, while some of them are very interesting, find that those we like to celebrate are those that embrace “la familia” and “fiestas” where we can enjoy family and friends and prepare traditional food to share.
I worked at our local middle school for nine years and knew many of the Hispanic girls who were looking forward to celebrating their “Quinceanera”, a tradition for girls on their 15th birthday. If I knew the student fairly well, as those who were my office student aides, I was able to help them celebrate. This is to celebrate the coming of this young lady into adulthood and leaving childhood. There are certain traditions associated with it such as a ceremony, a white dress and a bouquet, sometimes this is a doll instead that the young lady would leave as a sign she was leaving her childhood and moving on.

Thanks for letting me share!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

living life: www.snippetscja.blogspot.com
"the Purple Thistle": www.ceejay48.etsy.com
from my heart: www.fromacelticheart.blogspot.com
from my hands: www.cjscreations-ceejay.blogspot.com

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  07:05:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ha CJ,

You and I are on the same page. I too am working on this badge and looked in to Marlee Matlin. Pretty amazing work she has done. I also researched Rachael Coleman. Not a famous person, but influential in my search to help my son learn to communicate early. I found some DVDs at the library, he was still pretty young, but it gave me a chance to start learning. As he grew and I was able to devote a little more time into signing, I discovered a lot of DVDs and their website. Her daughter was deaf, they discovered when she was a year, and she and her sister wanted to help other families communicate with their young children before speaking occurred. Just listening to her story and the momentary heartbreak and how they passed through the news makes me smile and keeps me on track, knowing things happen.

Recently, I've delved out of baby signing and found a great website that teaches the basics. It's a great site and I have learned greetings and so much more. My one year old knows many of the signs I do, but as yet does not return them. I love watching him get excited when I show him something I know he wants.

My brotherinlaw and mom both know sign language and as CJ said, it is a nice way to talk without shouting at each other across a room.

Laurie

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

coaloha
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Pam
Phoenix Arizona
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2013 :  09:10:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ and Laurie,

Thank you both for sharing. I enjoyed hearing about the journey that you have both been on to learn how to communicate with others around you. It's so thoughtful to learn to communicate with others in the ways that they are comfortable.

Warmly,
Pam

Pam
Be distracted by joy
Go to Top of Page

LeighErica
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Erica
PA
USA
11 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2013 :  04:31:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family, as well as my husbands, is from a deep German descent. My husbands family are locally referred to as PA Dutch, and my Mother's ancestors came here from Germany. My husband grew up listening to his grandparents speak PA Dutch all the time. He never really took an interest in it as a young boy, but now he studies the language daily. Grandma is 94 and when he tried to talk to her in Dutch...she told him in English that she "was done with that"...hahaha...I couldn't stop laughing. It is a dying language here in our area. The people who spoke PA Dutch predominantly are now passed on or just choose not to speak it. My husbands hope is that he can revive it a bit for our kids and grand kids. My Mom never spoke German to me...but, I took it in HS. German itself is a higher language than PA Dutch...it is different. Because of the countries we have lived in due to our military assignments, I am able to speak basic Spanish and Japanese as well. But, I do have to confess that I get Japanese and Spanish intertwined sometimes and then no one knows what I am saying...lol. I have always been interested in sign language. It is such a special form of communication...maybe someday I will be able to teach myself too. Erica

Farm Girl #2731
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Different Languages/Cultures Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page