Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Green Decorating Next Topic  

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2010 :  07:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm working on another badge - Build it Green and want to share what I have found in my research.

Green decorating:

Winter squash and gourds can be used to make bird houses, bowls, lamps, candle forms, decorative garland.

Something I do already is to use organic sheets, towels, and curtains.

Reuse old furniture rather than buy new. It may just need a bit of loving care to bring it back to its old glory. When you do look for non-toxic stains and paints. I did this when I painted my library. I have a swing chair I need to stain and will be shopping for a better stain.

Use sustainable materials - Bamboo flooring and cutting boards. Recycled materials in carpets and rugs.

The biggest way to decorate is to keep it simple. There is no need for knick-knacks everywhere. That just clutters. Use colors and textures to make your home stand out. Use plants but make them work for your area.

These are just a few ideas and I'd love to hear what some of you have done to decorate green.

Laurie

Best Growing

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  06:51:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We try to repurpose and upcycle as much as possible so that there's not a lot of expense in new stuff.

And, I like to use natural fibers, such as cotton in bedding, etc. I'm not a curtain person so we don't have curtains . . . use insulated blinds instead and our windows are all trimmed out nicely.

Since my hubby is a woodturner we have some WONDERFUL, BEAUTIFUL accent pieces around the house that are his turnings, using aspen, mesquite, pinon, apricot, apple, and other woods I'm probably forgetting. His pieces are all sizes and shapes and he also like to leave little areas of bark on some which actually enhance the pieces.

Of course, we have plants . . . always have had plants.

I do have my collectibles shelf. Tools and antique items from our farm and my hubby's grandfathers ranch and items from our travels to other countries.

No big plans for changes in the near future.
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2010 :  10:48:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does never replacing anything count as green decorating? That would be my hubby's method. :-)

Like CJ I use cotton or other natural fibers. In fact, I pretty much refuse to buy anything polyester. For a while cotton was pretty easy to find now it seems like manufacturers are going back to manmade fibers, especially in clothes. Yuck!

I use lots of items from nature like stones, acorns, pieces of bark and other stuff I find while out on my walks. I also have plants around.

A lot of our furniture has been around for years and a couple of times I've repaired the finish on tables. We have several pieces that have been in the family for generations. (now that's recycling)

I have an pile of old clothes that I intend to use to make pillows and rag rugs but haven't had time to get to that project yet.

Those are the ideas I can think of right now. There's probably more but I can't seem to come up with them at the moment.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Green Decorating Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page