City Chick
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  04:01:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just decided I would do a dish towel. Ironed on my pattern and started.... I couldn't stand the material. Cheap, stretches easily and my stitches just look terrible on it.

Gave it to my 9 yo to work on. She's pleased as can be.

I need to get some material to work with. I saw a blog where they framed their stitching in those hanging embroidery hoops. I should see what kind of material they used. It sure looked cute.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

RaspberryBee
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Karen-Farmgirl #918
Montrose Michigan
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2010 :  06:49:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too embroidred on a less than "quality" flour sack cloth because I could not find anything else. Loved the embroidery but do not think it will last long on the cloth. Chalked it up to a time consuming experiment. I did the celery from MaryJane's idea book what did you and now your daughter do?

Farmgirl Sister #918

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.
-Henry David Thoreau-
Go to Top of Page

City Chick
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Deb
Chicago IL
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  3:15:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a sublime stitching pattern. A girl.

Farm Girl #790

http://www.xanga.com/My_Pondering_Place

Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

859 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
859 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2010 :  4:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some really nice dishtowels out there but it's too bad you had a poor quality one. But look for better ones and then you'll have a great result. Good luck. I've been doing my emboidery on cotton fabric because one is a tote bag and the other a pillow.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

MrsRooster
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Amy
Seabrook TX
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  06:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bought seven nice towels preprinted with Roosters at the Houston Quilt show. I am using red DMC pearle cotton. The towels are really nice.

www.mrsrooster.blogspot.com

Farmgirl #1259
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Dec 06 2010 :  07:02:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I totally agree! The quality makes a big difference. I do have the flour sack towels from walmart, and they are great for drying, but have a loose open weave. You could use a light weight tear-away stabilizer (kind of like an interfacing, you can buy both in the fabric store) to the back of the towel while you are doing the stitching. I'm not sure if a fusible would work here because when you pull it off it might pull at the stitches. You could try a water soluble stabilizer too. Also make sure your floss is waterproof! But for the towels, shop around to find something better, even the bar towels they sell at Walmart are a bit thicker. They are white with a stripe, blue, green, or red on the bottom. Basically a utility towel. Inexpensive too. I am guessing you could check out the fabric stores for a utility cloth too, probably Joanns. When I do embroidery to hang I use a muslin or a calico, something with a tighter weave than the flour cloths.
I just remembered that at Hobby Lobby they sell a packaged flour cloth, Aunt Martha's vintage towels. They look pretty much identical to the ones I was talking about at Walmart actually. Not sure on the quality, but I am guessing it is good if the embroidery people are selling them! Download a 40% coupon for Hobby Lobby and go shopping!! You can also order it online, at the Colonial Patterns Inc. website, http://www.colonialpatterns.com or google aunt marthas towels. Happy stitching! Post pictures if you can.

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are!"
Go to Top of Page

Ric Rac and Polka Dots
True Blue Farmgirl

140 Posts

Julie
Pleasant Prairie WI
140 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2010 :  07:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, did you ever find those Aunt Martha's towels? Just wondering. Would love to see pics from any and all projects from everyone!
I think I am starting a Christmas needlepoint pillow over Christmas while I am still feeling Christmasy. Hard for me to start Christmas in the summer, just not feeling it when it is 80 degrees and the garden needs weeding!

Julie

Farmgirl #1127

"No matter where you go . . . there you are!"
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Started a new project Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page