Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirls Southwest
 Project Discussions
 "CHRISTMAS CARE" Challenge
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic "CHRISTMAS CARE" Challenge Next Topic  

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  10:20:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there Henhouse "Chicks",

You should have all gotten an email from me this morning regarding my thoughts on the "CHRISTMAS CARE" Challenge. So, I won't go into it here on the forum.

Thought I'd share one project we have taken on, which is one that we do every year. The organization "Samaritan's Purse' is a world-wide Christian relief organization. They have a presence everywhere there is a need, such as the tsunami a little while back, Katrina, Haiti . . anywhere in the world or the US.

They are also there for more day-to-day needs where there are HUGE, HUGE, life-threatening needs. Each year they publish a "Christmas Catalog" but it is different in that you make a DONATION to cover the cost of providing some needs. It can be from providing milk to malnourished children to building schools and churches.

We choose "gifts" honoring our family members according to their interests and make a donation for that cause. Samaritan's Purse will send you a card that is either "in memory of" or "in honor of" and we complete those for each individual, naming the "gift" that was given in their honor. We do this every Christmas but have also done this in memory of someone who has passed away.

One of the most popular projects of SP is the "Operation Christmas Child" shoebox project where a shoebox filled with toys, clothes, supplies, whatever will fit (according to SP guidelines) get sent to kids everywhere for Christmas. We have put those boxes together . . and what a lot of fun and a joy!!!

We will also be finding a family here in our own community to provide some "Christmas Care" to. I'll tell you about that when I know more.

That's what happens in our household . . .
GOD BLESS!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

4024 Posts

Debbie Fischer
Coos Bay OR
4024 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  2:12:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a volunteer dispatcher for our local fire department, and we help families within our organization who would not have a Christmas if we did not help. We also pick a little girl or boy in need and buy them Christmas gifts, toys and other things they need we usually do this through our church. Also we take food and treats to our local no kill animal shelter as they exist on donations only. And this year we will invite an older neighbor couple who's children will not be able to spend Christmas with their parents, to share Christmas Day and Dinner with us.

That is what the Fischer Family does during the holiday season. To us it would not be Christmas if we did not give to those who in need and who can not be with family for one reason or another.

Debbie
Southwest Farm girl #1582

Go to Top of Page

pumpkinvine
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Amy
Lompoc CA
82 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  3:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am so glad CJ brought this up. I needed a little push to get going in this direction.

As some of you know I am a 4th grade teacher, and we have a very unique family in our school. Without going into too much detail, there are 2 girls, 4th and 5th grade. The 4th grader is in my class this year, and the 5th grader was in my class last year. Both girls have a sort of social anxiety disorder that results in selective mutism. They will not speak at school except to each other. The mother has the same disorder, but she will give one or two word answers when she talks to you. Their father died about 6 weeks ago, very traumatically and unexpectedly. The mother doesn't work, I suspect because her anxiety disorder makes it difficult. When their father died, I collected money from our school staff and was able to give the mom $300 to help with funeral expenses. Another teacher who had both girls and I decided that we wanted to make Christmas special for them this year, so we are planning on buying gifts for the girls. We're not sure how we are going to deliver them. I would much prefer they not know who they are from.

Amy from Lompoc

Farmgirl Sister #119

http://www.pumpkincupcake.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Rusty
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Rusty
Las Cruces NM
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  4:20:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Fellow Farmgirls:
I, too, am glad that CJ brought this subject up. We have a giving tree at our church every year that we pick a child to buy clothes and a toy for. Last year we also helped a mother with her NINE BOYS who was out of work and living at La Casa (a shelter for battered women and children). Our whole neighborhood got involved and she ended up with an apartment full of furniture and kitchen ware and her boys had a great Christmas. I'm so glad I belong to such a great group of "Chicks". If you come up with a cyber delivery system - let us know CJ. We will be only to glad to help.

Love-

Rusty
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  6:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, thanks CJ, for bringing this up. We used to pick a few names from a giving tree and the kids would pick out the gifts. The last couple of Christmases I've felt overwhelmed in making Christmas for my own, ever growing, family. This year I'm feeling a little more at peace with the whole thing and ready to branch out into the community. I don't know yet what that might be but I'm putting that intention out there and know that the perfect situation will present itself.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Nov 28 2010 :  6:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amy,
Does the family go to church? If so, is there a way you could have the gifts delivered to them through the church?

THANKS for sharing your projects . . . they are AWESOME!!

We've always done a gift exchange with my husband's family. We put a lot of time and effort into MAKING what we give, but I don't believe they are appreciated. And I feel like the gifts we are given are just obligatory . . no thought put into them. This year we've requested the we discontinue the gift exchange . . put our time, money and energy into people that have REAL needs. When Christmas comes I'm always just wanting time with my family . . .time to relax and enjoy the "REASON FOR THE SEASON". I usually can't think of a thing I want! And that gets to be the case more and more. And I just want to be able to share . . .

Thanks girls for being who you are!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

coloradocindy
Farmgirl in Training

18 Posts

Cindy
Bayfield CO
USA
18 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  08:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have always tried to support the local Women's Shelter. They need anything from soap to toys for the children. When you are cleaning out our closets either before or after the holidays, give the local shelter a call and see if they need your stuff!!!

Cindy

From the beautiful mountains of Southwest Colorado
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2010 :  11:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cindy, I love this idea! Thanks for passing it on. I've been cleaning out closets and have some nice clothing that I could donate. I can buy some toiletries to go along and maybe even a few toys.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Chelley
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Desert Valley Development Mesa, AZ
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  10:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work for the State of Arizona's Health Department. We have an Angel Tree with co-workers-only children on it (sad to know how many State workers do not actually make enough to do more than survive on.) My three work friends and I always pick 2-3 kids and do everything we can to give them a great Christmas.

This year, we had also decided to make it a handmade Christmas for ourselves (I only exchange gifts with the three of them...cards and treats for everyone else (around 40 other people in my office)). I have decided to make them new aprons. Once friend does scrapbooking and will most likely create a beautiful page for each of us. Another one is a great baker and we always hope for one of her breads or cookies (or, if lucky, both!!) The last one is very crafty, so anything goes.

Cindy, I like the idea of donating to a specific shelter. When I go through my closet, I always donate everything still usable to the Lutheran Thrift Store (which supports their missonary works). Perhaps this year keeping it closer to home is the way to go. Thanks for the idea.

--chelley.

Farmgirl Sister #2323

...returning raw foodist....new knitter...happy 1st time homeowner...Wisconsin FG currently living in the desert...
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Dec 01 2010 :  10:37:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You "Chicks" are just AWESOME!!!!! Gives the shivers reading about all the projects you take on. That's what we do, us Farmgirl Chicks!!!!!

By the way: Don't forget to use the Farmgirl Connection and Henhouse cards that were in your Henhouse Kit to go with things you might give . . . as you see appropriate.

THANKS for doing what you do and being what you are!!!
CJ

Go to Top of Page

MommyKelly
Farmgirl in Training

10 Posts

Kelly
Phoenix AZ
USA
10 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2010 :  4:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 10 year old dd Emily asked to do a service project for our local family homeless shelter. They said a need they always have is for hairbrushes. So I posted on my blog about it, and let friends know. She has collected over 50 hairbrushes so far ( We will drop off next Thursday) . We we also be donating little hairbows for the girls, and 6 cases of diapers. It is beautiful to see what a idea from a child has turned into.

Also my husband works for the local foodbank. Because of our family size, and income we get 2 free food boxes a month. Which is actually a lot of food since they also give "bonus boxes". Since I tend to be frugal and keep our pantry stocked, as well as make simple meals, I decided to bring our food boxes to someone at Church I thought maybe struggling. When I showed up she started crying and telling me how her youngest dd was just crying that she was hungry and they didnt have much food. I was so glad I made that choice.

I love this season :)

~*Kelly*~
Farmgirl sister #2249

http://busymommykelly.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic "CHRISTMAS CARE" Challenge Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page