Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Farmgirls Southwest
 Project Discussions
 Farmers Market, CSAs . . and such
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farmers Market, CSAs . . and such Next Topic  

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  11:00:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have been part of our local Farmers Market group for several years and have been able to make significant connections with local growers and KNOW what goes into, and onto what they produce and sell locally.
We have talked with just about every vendor, from the honey man to the beef guy and the pork lady about how they do what they do and how they are successful at doing it organically.
There has been a big push in the last 2-3 years in our community and they it call it "BUY LOCAL". Producers have been featured in the local newspaper and in a video (we were too!) produced for the local "Agri-Tourism" focus.
Because this is a rural, agricultural community it is important for consumers to know what there is available locally. In addition, to that many, many residents of this and surrounding communities are raising their own gardens.
We border the Navajo Indian Reservation in Utah, Arizona and New Mexico and much of that is desert environment and they are unable to raise much because of availability of water. Therefore, this community here is also a source for the Navajo population.
I grew up here and on a farm that produced more than one crop . . . my family has been a part of "feeding" this community for more than 50 years.
Thanks for listening!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

Edited by - ceejay48 on Aug 26 2010 6:41:13 PM

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  5:41:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CJ, that's really neat that you grew up on a farm that has been helping the community. I think farmers are wonderful! Trying to raise a garden in spite of the deer, rabbits, and bugs has been quite a challenge. I'm always thinking that it's a good thing my family has other sources for food. Otherwise, we'd starve to death.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2010 :  6:44:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The "critters" and such ARE such a challenge. Right now our biggest problem is squash bugs . . . we never had them until last year. They are AWFUL!!! They are hard to get rid of!!!! It's SOOOOO discouraging. We are trying everything possible that is not toxic chemical.

We have deer too, but it seems like they are deterred by my "scare-girl" and "garden go-round" with cans hanging off of it. I don't know this for sure but it seems so.

We also have gophers . . . what a blasted nuisance they are too!!! Our cat is good at catching them, but she can only catch so many.

Anyway, we keep on keeping on trying to deal with the variety of "pestilence".
Wishing all you "chicks" the best in your efforts!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  11:21:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have Japanese beetles here. They can ruin things so fast. I've managed to keep them in control more this year. Maybe they're finally moving on.

The deer are a constant problem. We live in a suburban development and they've gotten so used to people that nothing scares them. We go outside and yell at them or throw something at them and they just stand there looking at us like, "You've got to be kidding!" My daughter was practicing her roping skills and we had a plastic cow out by the garden. That kept the deer out for a couple of days until they figured out it was nothing to be afraid of. They seem to be like horses where something works one or two times and then we have to come up with new tricks. I had my tomatoes in pots on the deck this year. They were surrounded on the two open sides by a huge wood pile on one side and a stand of trees on the other. The other morning I went out to water and discovered that the deer had come up on the deck and eaten every tomato and half of the plants. I almost cried. The last two years the deer haven't ventured up on the slatted deck and I thought the plants were safe there.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Rusty
True Blue Farmgirl

83 Posts

Rusty
Las Cruces NM
USA
83 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2010 :  12:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathy:
What a shame - I definately would have sat down and cried losing my tomatoes like that. Maybe you should try a scarecrow like CJ did and put it on the porch. We are fortunate down here in heatsville - all we have to deal with are roadrunners. We call them skulkers because they rob our birds nest of eggs and they just love my geckos that roam in the backyard. I'm certainly going to root for the coyote from now on. LOL. Anyway I hope you try again with the tomatoes.

Love-

Rusty
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic Farmers Market, CSAs . . and such Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page