ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  12:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honey, that is!!! When I was growing up my parents KNEW that honey was the right stuff to feed us and we got it from a nearby neighbor, Burt Holloday. He was a funny man and, as a kid, I just thought of him as the "beeman". After I grew up, got married and moved back to Colorado from Arizona, I learned the "beeman" passed away.

My dad then bought all of his equipment, hives, etc. . . all of it
It then became a family business . . this "sweet stuff". We all worked together on setting the hives, building the 2-level "honey room" in a section of the farm's apple barn and then eventually tending hives and harvesting honey.
YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!! It was interesting to learn how to tend hives and run the extractor . . . sticky too!!!!

When my dad passed away (my mom was already gone) we had to sell the honey equipment and could no longer have our own "sweet stuff" business.

But we have a new (not really "new") "beeman" and we not only purchase our honey from him but are involved in helping him promote his business, obtain containers for his honey and are fellow local Farmers Market vendors with him and his family.

We have ALWAYS consumed raw, unprocessed honey and we really like it best after it's sugared some. On homemade oatmeal bread, especially fresh out of the oven . . it's heaven!!!

Hats to those little bees . . . and their honey!!!
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado

tea_lady_tammy
Farmgirl in Training

44 Posts

Tammy
NE
USA
44 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  1:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nebraska raises alot of bees. When we go to the state fair they have a stand there and they bring their bees too. It is really quite interesting. Although I have to be careful around the bees. I love buying the honey too. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed learning more about you.

blessings
Tammy

PS Got my henhouse stuff today.:) I felt like a little girl getting a big surprise. Thank you CJ.

Tea is like being in the stars with God.

http://breathsoffaith.blogspot.com

Farm Sister #1889
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  2:19:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i found a local beeman and bought a 5 gallon bucket from him last fall. I still have quite a bit left! It's very exciting.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

KathleenL
True Blue Farmgirl

201 Posts

Kathleen
Littleton Colorado
USA
201 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  2:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laurie, How do you keep a bucket of honey from crystallizing? We've used honey here for ages but we seem to be using less of it and even the one gallon jar keeps crystallizing before we can use it.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

ceejay48
True Blue Farmgirl

541 Posts

CJ
Dolores Colorado
USA
541 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  2:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kathy,
You can warm the honey up a bit to melt it some. Hubby and I actually like it when it starts crystallizing and "sugaring".
CJ

...from the barefoot farmgirl in SW Colorado
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

188 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
188 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2010 :  6:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a cool room, but it will crystallize. I just heat it slightly to melt it.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page
  Project Discussions: Previous Topic "Sweet Stuff" Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page